Register

Yet another foodscare :-(

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Yet another foodscare :-(

Postby Pampy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:34 pm

This is what Wikipedia thinks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romaine_lettuce

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Well, the Arabic was the explanation given on QI!
And thanks Pampy, Wiki seems to think it may well come from the Arabic khus meaning lettuce

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:38 am

Interesting.
Khus khus is white poppy seed, a common ingredient in Indian food - but banned in several Arab countries because it contains small amounts of opium.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:40 am

"Trending" news on Facebook is that the "CDC" is advising everyone to avoid romaine lettuce and throw away any they've got in stock.

Classic example of the power of social media to misinform, as it is not clear that this is a US story, not a European one.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:19 pm

Americans never think of the other 220 countries approx. when they release this sort of thing
CDC is Centers for Disease Control, usually quite sane if a little US-centric

Postby jeral » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:35 pm

Well, you could knock me down with a feather, given the way social media picks up a ball, any ball, and runs with it. I truly hope EU producers aren't caught up by it.

I forgot to thank Alexandria for editing her earlier post, so thanks Alexandria.

Am I right in thinking that the UK equiv of CDC is Public Health England (PHE), or PH Scotland or Wales or Northern Ireland?

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:40 pm

As far as possible I avoid all packaged salads. We grow our own most of the year but even out of season, loose fresh local salad is always cheaper and is not washed in anything dubious. Anyway the hens are grateful recipients of the outer leaves and stalks.

I don't know if Mark will agree but I think many Americans are quite fearful of anything they haven't experienced and have a strangely limited picture of the world outside their borders especially if they live outside major cities/ conurbations.

When we spent 6 weeks with DD and family in Virginia evenvery educated folk had little or no experience of travelling abroad.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:30 pm

Alexandria wrote:Sakkarin, :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit

I had read online that there is a Romaine Lettuce "scare" in the Usa .. And all vegetable markets, supermarkets etcetra, shall have to remove this lettuce ..

I am as techi as a peanut, so I could not post the link ..

Seems that these Usa Romaine lettuces are poisonous which does not surprise me considering all the Genetically Modified Food over the blue pond ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Sakkarin, Joan & Jeral, And to All Those Residing in the E.U. or Europe: :thumbsup :thumbsup

I stated that The Romaine Lettuce "scare" is in the USA, if you re-read my post quoted ..

Have a nice weekend .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:08 pm

Alexandria

Thanks to your earlier post, we were well aware that the Romaine lettuce food scare is in the US, but Facebook (as a US based social media platform) has it as a trending article that makes it look as though it is world-wide. That is what Sakkarin, jeral and Stoke Sue are getting annoyed about!

Postby mark111757 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:37 pm

Joan

There are indeed many people here in the States that are scared of anything they don't know. In some cases to the point of being ,xenophobic.

Especially as far as food. Of course I got a real education when I worked at the store. Imported meats and to a lesser degree imported cheeses. Food wise there is more to the world than deli ham and sliced american cheese.

I enjoyed learning about new stuff. I don't want to get or be stale.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Strickly Salsa. Clare, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for re-explaining .. I must have missed a page or two of the thread ..

Okay, clear .. Got it !!

I read this online and it strictly states the Usa, and that is why I had originally added the post to this on going thread ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

:wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:42 am

I´m 100% in agreement with Joan here. Why on EARTH buy a packaged lettuce when you can fins a fresh one? Come on!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:36 am

You both assume you can find an unpackaged lettuce without making a special trip to a farmer's market if you are in the City of London

Not the case for many people around the world, especially those who work in the business areas of big cities, good luck with finding unpackaged salad on your way home from work

Postby karadekoolaid » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:59 pm

You mean thatSainsbury´s doesn´t sell unpackaged lettuce? I bought some when I was in Islington last month.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:50 pm

The "loose" lettuces in cardboard boxes are usually inside individual poly bags even if you lift them up without it
But Islington Saino's is a huge,flagship store, city workers shopping in the smaller branches (and Tesco and Waitrose) in office block basements and transport hubs will usually only get packaged salad

Postby smitch » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:12 pm

I buy bagged salad for my guinea pig. He has to eat a low calcium diet for health reasons so I like to give him a bit of variety. Even so, I have to be careful which ones I buy as so many contain spinach or rocket and he isn’t allowed either

Postby jeral » Thu May 10, 2018 3:43 pm

On plastic, an MP said yesterday at Prime Minister's Questions that there were about 50(!) types of plastic making sorting for recycling an impossible job even if decent facilities existed. So, would the PM ask manufacturers to stick to a minimum number of types?

I was astonished by 50, so an eminently sensible question.
---

I'm also surprised about everything having to be clean, according to recycling gurus. I'd have thought that food muck either burned off or floated to the top to be skimmed off, but I guess not since "clean" applies to plastic, foil/tin and cardboard alike. Presumably fastidiously cleaned items get contaminated by consumers' items which aren't. Right ol' muddle isn't it?

Postby Renée » Thu May 10, 2018 5:27 pm

I was also astonished, jeral. I was told by Chorley Council recycling that any plastics with a 1, 2 or 3 in the triangle at the bottom of the container could be recycled.

Postby jeral » Thu May 10, 2018 8:49 pm

Renée wrote:I was also astonished, jeral. I was told by Chorley Council recycling that any plastics with a 1, 2 or 3 in the triangle at the bottom of the container could be recycled.

Apparently "could be" doesn't mean "will be".

It's typical of manufacturers to say that their plastic is recyclable thus absolving themselves, assuming a local facility exists in the area, but to me that just lulls shoppers into a false sense of security when it's known darn well that if they stick labels on it, a film or different lid top, and ink printing, means it's seriously unlikely to be, i.e. it's become a non-recyclable composite.

Yes I'm having a rant but I'm a stickler for the whole truth if consumers stand a chance of taking a sensible option, both when buying and recycling.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 11, 2018 2:19 pm

I think Jeral is absolutely correct "Can be" is not the same as "Will be". I think we, and our local area are quite good at recycling but are still "Could do better"

My current rant is about things which arrive by post or courier encased in the blinking stuff,

I have just finished yelling at M&S who are dire about this. A previous rant hd, I thought, worked because items started to arrive in cardboard boxes. Today I had a delivery and not only was the entire order encased but so was every single item therein with the addition of a completely unwanted coat hanger. They are going to get the whole lot back at their expense,

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox