Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Chatterbox

Postby jeral » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Hope the weather is good in terms of photographic light needed. It's sunny here today so far. I still love the scary rides :) I'm not as old as the 83-year-olds reported recently who'll be jumping out of an aeroplane for charity - good on them I say 8-) I can't imagine doing a tuck-and-roll landing at that age!

I/we have had terrible sneezing, runny nose and fuggy head. Turns out it was the pervasive smell from a new "longer freshness" fabric conditioner. Opened all the windows (and boy does it linger) and yay can now breathe again, although will have to rewash a lot of things which is a blow as I'd done loads to clear it all for Easter, Doh! For the sake of balance, my sister loves it incidentally.

Postby Uschi » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:02 pm

I never use scented washing anythings as I have enough hives as it is. Scented soaps that don't give me gyp in the wardrobe are the solution for me.

As for the fair, I'm giving it a miss today. I have got my teeth into spring organising and need to shower my father later. That's my day sorted.

I hope you'll feel better soon!

Postby kavey » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:56 am

Hello All! Wave!

It's my blog's 4th Birthday today.

I didn't write a birthday post but if you ever visit and read any of my posts, I would love it, if you have a moment, find a post you enjoyed & leave me a comment? :-)

www.kaveyeats.com

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:55 am

Morning all, have had a lovely bacon and egg sarni for breakfast with a glass of freshly squeezed OJ just to keep it healthy. ;)

Got my new cake tin yesterday, the round one so am going to give it a whirl soon.

Hope you are all keeping well. :thumbsup

Must go and search for a recipe now.

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:12 pm

Good thinking Batman - you've got me thinking of cakes now. However, my new skillet has just arrived so I'm on a mission to find things in the fridge that I can fry...

Back on cakes - what about a Scottish Sultana Cake, lots of butter and eggs as well as the sultanas. See, the advantage is that you can eat most of it, accidentally of course, almost as soon as it leaves the oven :oops:

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Never heard of a Scottish sultana cake. Have you hot a recipe?

Have a cooked breakfast. :D

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Hi. Ingredients for the Scottish sultana cake are:

13 oz plain flour
12 oz butter
12 oz caster sugar
6 large eggs
2 oz ground almonds
4 oz chopped peel
14 oz sultanas
Pinch of salt

Method is to line a 9" tin with baking parchment. (Not sure what size your new tin is.)
Cream butter and sugar till light. Add eggs and beat in one at a time. Mix dry ingredients, sieve then fold in. Add the sultanas and fold in.

Bake at 175-180C for about 3 hours (keeping an eye on it in all usual ways).

Well, I warned you it was a rich cake, but therefore it does keep well.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 pm

Evening all

Son-in-law has just managed to get through from Afghanistan and GS spent most of the call bending his ear about how we have HD TV and blu ray. Fancy grandparents being ahead on anything!!

Tomorrow we are all off to the Camargue to ride horses , watch flamingos and generally enjoy ourselves. I will accompany the GCs on horseback as their Mum and M hate horses. This could be my last post as it is some time since I sat on a horse.

Postby jeral » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:21 pm

@Joanbunting. Glad you and yours are safe and well. Hope you will be tomorrow atop a galloping beast. Is there a kudos emoticon for that?

Postby Puss-in-boots » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:25 am

Joan, Hope you have a great time with your family and enjoy those horse rides. Looking forward to hearing all about it.

Postby calabash » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:47 pm

Is your son able to Skype from Afghanistan? Maybe I've watched too many episodes of Army Wives and that doesn't happen in the real world. Love that HD and blu-ray puts you in the 'cool' column :D The Camargue sounds wonderful, always wanted to go, the closest I get is buying Camargue red rice :D Take care on the horse and have a wonderful time.

That sultana cake sounds wonderful!

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:55 pm

Wow Joan! Very jealous from here in Berkshire! Still bitterly cold and snowing from time to time here! Hope you and the grandchildren have a wonderful time. What wonderful memories you will all have!

HH

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:04 pm

Morning all

We had a wonderful day yesterday. Thought you might like to see a few photos - scroll forward, there are four in all.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N ... hotostream

We also had a lovely lunch, faux fillet de tareau (Bull steaks to you!) for the meat eaters and fish for GD and me. The weather was perfect but it is raining today :thumbsdown

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:33 pm

So glad you had a great time Joan and what wonderful pictures. Hope you didn't fall off any horses' xxx

Postby cherrytree » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:10 pm

Nice to hear from you, Joan. We are going to Bouzigues on Saturday and then after lunch we will go through to Palavas les Flots which is our very favourite seaside (we are not a very sophisticated family you see). There in the etangs will be more flamingoes than you can shake a stick at. I just hope that the weather will be better than up here in Lozere.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:04 pm

Hi Cherrytree

Hasn't the weather been unseasonal ? Everyone is talking about it and our wisteria whichich usually flowers at the end of March is still firmly in bud.

Puss : those of us who rode stayed firmly attached thank you - my posterior was rather tender next day though. I would have thought the extra padding I now have may have been a bit more protective. :roll: :roll:

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:27 pm

Lovely piccies Joan! What a wonderful time you must all have had!
Re the 'stiff bits', I always think going down stairs is the worst bit! I always take lots of arnica and it really seems to help!

Hopefully the sun will come out 'good and proper' before too long! There is not a fresh leaf or blossom that has dared to come out yet, here in Berkshire!

HH

Postby Puss-in-boots » Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Thank you very much for the recipe jeral.

Joan, am so glad there were just a couple of tender cheeks... :o :lol: I have that problem when I start to use my bike when I haven't ridden it for a while but then get used to it again. I too have extra padding these days, as you say you would think it would work wouldn't you!

Postby jeral » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:41 pm

@ Joanbunting: I was delighted (relieved) too to read that you'd stayed on your horse safely as with my bones the idea of falling off is the stuff of nightmares. It looks lovely and sunny in the photos so looks like you chose a good day for the outing :)

Incidentally in case anyone's interested, for my bones, the doc's prescribed risedronate, which as far as I can see is the same family as alendronic acid with same scary side effects and a few more besides so I haven't bothered to fill the prescription. She's doing another calcium-level test in any case - at least calcium + Vit D tablets are harmless (as far as I know).

@ Puss-in-boots: Have you looked at those gel seats for bicycles? Long distance cyclists seem to have mixed views but might be worth looking at to see if they're good, or possibly better than a normal seat, for shorter trips.

PS What cake did you make to christen your new tin with?
Mmmm. Cake.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:21 pm

[quote="jeral"]
Incidentally in case anyone's interested, for my bones, the doc's prescribed risedronate, which as far as I can see is the same family as alendronic acid with same scary side effects and a few more besides so I haven't bothered to fill the prescription. She's doing another calcium-level test in any case - at least calcium + Vit D tablets are harmless (as far as I know).

{/quote]

Err - why bother to see your doctor & accept a prescription if you don't intend to take it? :?

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox