Register

Friday Night is Cocktail Night

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Friday Night is Cocktail Night

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:07 am

Morning Everyone

Following our travels in the USA we have renewed our old appreciation of well-made cocktails.

We have decided that, henceforth, Friday night will be cocktail night. I have dug out the shaker and the glasses and will start with classic martinis tonight.

What do you consider a classic martini to be and have you any other great cocktail recipes to pass on?

Cheers

Joan

Re: Friday Night is Cocktail Night

Postby OneMoreCheekyOne » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:23 pm

A chocolate martini definitely!

http://fizzfalafelfettuciniandflumps.bl ... /Cocktails

I also love an apple martini but have only had one in bars, never made one at home.

Postby cooksalot » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:02 am

I got a good recipe out of a recent Waitrose "weekend" paper. It is for an Argentinian cocktail called Recoleta Clericot and it is very nice! You need 50ml gin, 15ml white vermouth, 3 slices cucumber and 15ml mandarin or orange juice. Shake over ice and then strain into a cocktail glass filled with crushed ice. Then top up with a splash of ginger ale. Perfect for a Friday night!

Postby Frillz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:39 am

I was only thinking about cocktails yesterday as it happens.
Trying to work out my list of a Top Six (still in old money you see :lol: ) favourites.

My other half makes a mean Bloody Mary - which I love
Margarita
Classic Mojito
Champagne Cocktail - that's a maybe

and I'm still thinking which other two to include.

I must dig out the recipes for the Gordon's Gin ones that they sent by email - they were for the 12 Days of Christmas though...does it matter?
Longtime lapsed BBC Food Board contributer

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi

I am all for a good Bloody Mary and/or a Margarita in fact my daughter is the result of one or two too many of the latter in Mexico in 1967

M made our martinis last night using Bombay Saphire gin (can't get my favourite Plymouth here) and Lilett vermouth with a twist of lemon - shaken over ice then strained. Really good. My next question is should he have added or used vodka?

Postby denada » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:59 am

We had Martinis last night with Tanquery Ten gin. Excellent,really recommend it. Tonight we had Old Fashions for no better reason than I fancied the cherries.

Postby tizmelouise » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:10 am

Hi Joan :-) I also re discovered cocktails in the USA. I made martinis recently with vodka and vermouth and a good crusting of sugar around the glass - they blew your head off but were delicious :-) I didn't know you could use gin, I'll deffo try that as gin is my tipple of choice! I beleive you can add an olive too or is that a different drink?

The other one I copied from america was white something or other which was basically a bottle of white wine mixed with a mixed tropical fruit juice and some chopped up fruit - I can't for the life of me remember the name but in a jug with lots of ice is lovely on a summers day :-)

Postby Frillz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:13 pm

I always wondered if it's usually a gin based Martini which has a twist of lemon and a vodka based one that has a green olive?
But I think it's just personal taste, I may be wrong, so if anyone knows for sure please let me know.

I've never actually had a Martini -no mixer would probably see me done for at the first one :lol:

Mr Frillz's Bloody Mary contains

Vodka
Clamato Juice (or Tomato Juice if not available)
http://www.partridges.co.uk/index.php/fuseaction/shop.product/categoryid/1/productid/1771
Cream of Horseradish Sauce
Splash of Dry Sherry
Worcestershire Sauce
Celery Salt
Small slice of lemon, squeeze if required

all over ice with a stick of celery including its 'wiggy' leaves

Postby cooksalot » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:35 pm

As I write I am enjoying a Moscow Mule - vodka and ginger ale on loads of ice. Could have added a twist of lime but very refreshing as is!

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:39 pm

I think i may start having a cocktail night over a weekend. A really good thread you have started joan, i will have to start challenging my pallet.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:53 pm

Frilliz wrote
" User avatar

Unread postby Frillz » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:13 pm
I always wondered if it's usually a gin based Martini which has a twist of lemon and a vodka based one that has a green olive?
But I think it's just personal taste, I may be wrong, so if anyone knows for sure please let me know.

I've never actually had a Martini -no mixer would probably see me done for at the first one :lol:

Mr Frillz's Bloody Mary contains

Vodka
Clamato Juice (or Tomato Juice if not available)
http://www.partridges.co.uk/index.php/f ... uctid/1771
Cream of Horseradish Sauce
Splash of Dry Sherry
Worcestershire Sauce
Celery Salt
Small slice of lemon, squeeze if required

all over ice with a stick of celery including its 'wiggy' leaves"

I love Clamato but unfortunately can't find it here in France. A Bloody Mary made in the Bahams with Clamato is called a Bloody Caesar - yumeeee

I also love V8 in a BM

PS always understood that a gin martini had a twist of lemon and a vodka one had a stuufed olive. Who cares they are all good!

Postby Frillz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:36 pm

Oops something went glitchy Joan.
Am replying to

I love Clamato but unfortunately can't find it here in France. A Bloody Mary made in the Bahams with Clamato is called a Bloody Caesar - yumeeee

I also love V8 in a BM

PS always understood that a gin martini had a twist of lemon and a vodka one had a stuufed olive. Who cares they are all good!

It's not easy to get Clamato here, you have to hunt it down :D I didn't know the Bloody Caesar title and I haven't tried V8 but I don't even know why.

I see you think the same as me about the lemon -v- olive debate, it doesn't matter, as you say who cares, I'd just like to know ;)

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 02, 2012 4:22 pm

V8 is fantastic in BM - hold the celery salt, of course

Just a richer flavour than plain tomato

In fact it makes a nice Virgin Mary too - mine is a mildly besmirched Mary, as I miss out the vodka but keep the dash of sherry for flavour (if there is any open)

I'm going to try a Negroni
Equal parts of gin. campari, sweet (red) vermouth, and Campari, with ice & a twist of orange

I just happen to have all the ingredients, and I've never made a cocktail with Campari

Postby cooksalot » Wed May 02, 2012 5:20 pm

OH had a Negroni when we went to Sorrento last year (I stuck with wine!). It sounds easy to make and good. Must get some Campari! I have a reasonably varied drinks cupboard but have never stocked Campari before.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Has campari and soda got a cocktail name?

Haven't had a cocktail for years, on holiday in Spain.
But our chosen one is a Grasshopper.

And it's still a tradition that I make the snowballs when we visit family at New Year.

Or the frozen margaritas if there's steak being eaten. My sister has the right glasses.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 03, 2012 1:47 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Has campari and soda got a cocktail name?

Haven't had a cocktail for years, on holiday in Spain.
But our chosen one is a Grasshopper.

And it's still a tradition that I make the snowballs when we visit family at New Year.

Or the frozen margaritas if there's steak being eaten. My sister has the right glasses.

Don't think it has but a friend on LI ordered a Campari and grapefruit juice and let me have a taste - it was rather good.

Moving cocktail night to Saturday this week - 'cos of the friends coming on Friday. M has requested a Manhattan, think we might need it!

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu May 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Mr Frillz's bloody mary recipe looks spot on to me! I love a BM, or a VM if I'm driving.
I love V8 juice - it is really good, and there is also Big Tom - which is terrific too.

I used to be given something called a Gin & It by an old aunt - they were delicious - I think It stands for Italian Vermouth, but not sure what the quantities are.

My uncle makes a very good White Lady, and my friend who came from South America makes a great Pisco Sour - which I ador - and Margherita! MMMmmmm

Having said all that, we don't drink cocktails very often at all - unless you count Pimms in the summer?

HH

Postby cooksalot » Thu May 03, 2012 8:18 pm

Does anyone know what an "Old-fashioned" is? It cropped up in a book I recently read but with no explanation of what it is!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 03, 2012 8:31 pm

cooksalot wrote:Does anyone know what an "Old-fashioned" is? It cropped up in a book I recently read but with no explanation of what it is!

Bourbon, ice, bitters, a bit of sugar or simple syrup in an "old-fashioned" glass - that;s one of those short chunky cocktail tumblers

Here's one version, I think I was taught to use a sugar cube & shake the bitters onto it, but I haven't made on in 30 years, so can't be sure

http://www.in-the-spirit.co.uk/cocktails/view_cocktail.php?id=195

Maybe I should get soem bourbon, I quite like it...

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 03, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi Sue

M would entirely agree with getting in some bourbon. His main aim in Virginia was to try as many as possible!!

DD and I loved the mint juleps we had in Williamsburgh and we don't like whisky :D

Next

Return to Beverages