Register

Drinks we buy on holiday

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Drinks we buy on holiday

Postby cooksalot » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:33 pm

I have just returned for a brilliant week in Malta. I always like to bring back a bottle of something local when I'm abroad, e.g. limoncello from Sorrento, Kirsch from Switzerland and so on. On this occasion I bought a small bottle of a Maltese liqueur called Bajtra, made from prickly pears. I tried some last night and it was pretty good!
Does anyone have some interesting examples of unusual delicious (and not so delicious!) drinks brought home as from a good holiday? I bet there are a few lurking in our drinks cabinets!

Re: Drinks we buy on holiday

Postby Tatihou » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:10 pm

From many years ago, but I'm sure it still exists...

Sabra...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabra_liqueur

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:19 pm

Becherovka (Czech liqueur gin)

I had it in cafes in Prague and it was nice, unfortunately the bottle i bought in the supermarket & lugged back on a long train journey was vile

I wanted to bring Marsala back from Sicily, but would you believe they don't stock it at Catania airport? weird! Sicily's most famous drink not stocked at Sicily's largest "duty-free" shop?

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:40 pm

For me, real Dutch gin. Like it a lot and can't get it here. For M good bourbon - I am surprised we were not seriously overweight (in baggage terms ;) ) on the way back here from the US

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:05 am

We bought Liqueur No 43 on our holiday to Spain a couple of years ago. It is apparently the 'magic' ingredient in the excellent White Sangria we became accustomed to while there. Has anyone else tried it?

HH

Postby cooksalot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:54 am

Despite quite a few holidays in Spain I've not heard of Liqueur No 43 before. That's one to bring back next time as I love white sangria! We drank little else when we went to Menorca a couple of years ago and also in Fuertaventura for a winter sun holiday.

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:26 pm

Its rather nice, and has lots of herbs and spices in it, including vanilla - which we all could taste but found it hard to identify until we looked at the ingredients.

Do you have a good recipe for the White Sangria mixture? We used Cava in ours, but I can't remember what else.

HH

Postby Wokman » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Joanbunting wrote:For me, real Dutch gin. Like it a lot and can't get it here.

Would that be the Bols Jonge Jenever? I have tried it several times and it is a very popular drink in Holland served straight from the freezer. A bit too strong for me though, but I like the little glasses it is served in.

Postby cooksalot » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:55 pm

No recipe for white sangria, HH, I'm afraid. Just ordered it at the pool bar!

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:49 am

I had one, so will try and find it.

HH

Postby Lou » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:09 pm

I was lucky enough to go on a business trip to Moscow a couple of years ago, the driver took us to a shop to buy Vodka. The one he recommended coast me about £4 and was amazing!

Less successful was the cactus liqueur I brought back from Lanzarote, it was horrid!

I have never heard of white sangria, but would love to try it. I will be asking for it next time I am in spain. I will be there in September, do I just ask for white sangria (sangria blanco)? or does it have another name?

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:30 pm

A Spanish drink I like is Ponché Caballero

It's an after dinner drink, brandy flavoured with orange - essentially it's a liqueur for people who find liqueurs too sweet and Spanish brandy a bit strong as a digestif (it is 27% - or 25% depending on which website you look at)

Comes in a fab silvered bottle - ludicrously expensive in UK

http://www.drinkswell.co.uk/product/2275/Ponche_Caballero_liqueur.html

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 am

It is not so much what we bring back but what other people bring back as gifts.

Lurking in our drinks cupboard I have crême de melon, a strange looking liqueuer in a bottle apparently made from a dry stone wall containing something Croatian and some chestnut something - which DD actually likes. :vomit

Postby efcliz » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:00 pm

I usually bring becherovka and slivovitz from Eastern Europe. At Minsk airport I had some cash to use so brought back some kind of blueberry something or other which is still sitting unopened in the cupboard. I used to love Thibarine, but I have some in the cupboard that I haven't been able to face, it must have been there 10 years. Time to give in and throw it away?

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:24 am

We've still got some slivovitz in our drinks cabinet (the shed).
My family were playing a drinking game with it one New Years Eve, and have never been so hung over the next day.
Sungla 8-) es required.

We've never opened the bottle of arak (coconut whisky) from Praslin. I haven't a clue why we bought it, we don't even drink spirits.

Postby efcliz » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:40 am

No we don't these days either! Most of ours find their way into Matthews hip flask for long winter football trips.

Return to Beverages