Register

non alcoholic wine?

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

non alcoholic wine?

Postby GilesMurray » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:16 pm

what are peoples opinions on non-alcoholic wine?
im looking at cutting alcohol out completely, i dont drink spirits too often anyway so that wont be a major issue for me,
but im a sucker for a glass of wine! im a red and white lover too!
this website seems to be really helpful with recommendations: http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/
but im just wondering if anyone else would recommend any?

Re: non alcoholic wine?

Postby jeral » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:17 pm

Hmm, there are a couple of 7-7.5% wines which might be a reasonable compromise if just cutting down. I'm not keen on paying wine price for grape juice which doesn't do it for me, so I drink fizzy water and pretend I'm holidaying in the sun, although some non-alcoholic beers aren't bad.

As you can only buy what's in the shops, usually very limited choice, it might be worth seeing if a quality wine merchant offers one (some do), or possibly even a case of 6 selected red and white ones to assess.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:15 pm

As a wine drinker, I've never found a de-alcoholised wine I enjoyed

people say the alcohol has no flavour, but having tasted chemically pure ethanol, I don't agree, apart from which some of the flavour, and aroma is lost during processing, and even if the alcohol doesn't have a huge amount of flavour it carries those aromas in the nose.

I agree low alcohol beer is more successful, when my late OH was ill, and our friend was pregnant, they tried a few and liked several especially Clausthaler http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/clausthaler-premium-alcoholfree-lager-330ml-p-195.html?cPath=2_65_67and I think a Beck's one as well

Like jeral, I'm more inclined to go for something entirely different - e.g. a ginger beer with the juice of half a lime in it or fizzy water, cheaper & nicer than a poor shadow of what you really wanted.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:57 pm

I cook with non-alcoholic wine.
Started about 6mths ago when it dawned on me that it was £2 - £3 cheaper.
But to drink it tastes like a bad grape drink really. Not refreshing at all.

When out, I drink non-alcholic kopparberg, or "free" beer. Can't tell the difference.

Postby Suffs » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:04 am

I've never found a non-alcoholic wine that I like. A few non alcoholic or low-alcohol beers are ok. However, be warned - if you drink them in any quantity you still get the hangover - it's not the alcohol per se that has that effect but some of the other ingredients and the low and non alcoholic beers (and presumably wines) still contain those.

I remember someone I knew a while back being very indignant because he'd stuck to alcohol-free beer all night at a party, and was very poorly next morning. Co-incidentally there was a radio programme confirming this just a few days ago.

If I want to keep my alcohol intake down, I usually drink white wine spritzers made with soda (not lemonade!)
and if I'm driving I'll drink elderflower pressé or similar. Much nicer than alcohol free wine :)

Postby Yoland » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:04 am

Is non alcoholic wine really non alcoholic? Okay tried some non alcoholic wine some times back; it tasted horrid. I didn't really feel anything, but now like an hour later I feel really sick like I am going to throw up. So my question is is non alcoholic wine really non alcoholic? and even if it is non alcoholic can it still make me feel sick?

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:45 pm

Well, Suffs says there's evidence that non-a wine can make some people sick - I wouldn't know personally since I don't drink it.

Re alcohol content, if it says non-a on the bottle it can be up to 0.5% ABV in the UK as apparently it's not possible to remove absolutely all of it. Link with info here: http://www.alcoholfree.co.uk/faqs.php

I find wine is odd re its effect (full alcohol ones that is) as some give me a headache, some give me heartburn, but others don't. I've not been able to find a reason as it doesn't seem to be sulphites for me but it's possible it could be for you. Can only try different ones I reckon.

Postby almadolce » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:29 am

Most of the drinkers forget about alcohol free wine or when they think about various types of wine they drunk or desire to drink. Non alcoholic wines are great option for pregnant women, designated drivers and for persons on medications due to some heart or some other disease. This type of wine is also good for those people who want to keep the taste of wine in their life without the effects of alcohol. :wino

Such wines are available in a huge range of flavors and styles, which includes:

Chardonnay
White Zinfandel
Cabernet Sauvignon
Burt Zinfandel

Return to Beverages