Register

Wither Hills Pinot Gris

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Wither Hills Pinot Gris

Postby Dena » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Sorting through my wines this morning I found a bottle of this- 2008 that had somehow got out of sync with bottle rota. It had been kept in the dark and quite cold but does anyone know if it might be at all drinkable. I have a horrible feeling that it will only be fit for etching metal :lol:

What do you think? Don't particularly want to open it until I have white wine drinkers here.

Re: Wither Hills Pinot Gris

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:52 pm

Wither Hills is a decent house, and they use decent screw closures

There's no reason a 5 year old white wine shouldn't be drinkable

if it has been in the dark it should be fine, though I'd have another bottle in reserve. Admittedly Pinot Grigio wouldn't be my favoured grape for keeping long term, I'd normally aim for two years,

Never
throw out a sealed bottle of wine without tasting, ir it least opening it and having a look & a sniff - we had some tastings at my wine club in which the tutor brought in superannuated bottles he found in the back of bins, and we tried them. Some were horrid - most were drinkable
The one that's relevant though was a bottle of Goldener Oktober riesling, at least 30 years old - not only was it (approximately) drinkable - I recognised it! So it had kept its character astonishingly well (Goldener Oktober was a wine bar staple of the 70s - a notch up from Blue Nun)

Re: Wither Hills Pinot Gris

Postby Dena » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks Sue, I'll do that - have another one as a reserve but keep my fingers crossed. Your post has made me more hopeful :thumbsup

Return to Beverages