Register

Hot drinks?

Hic I'm not as thunk as drenkle peep. Glirch.

Hot drinks?

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Mulled red wine is a given. As late teens folks, we liked hot Coke (it had nothing added). I don't know of any other hot drinks for those soon to be cold foggy nights. For example, how would you jazz up hot cocoa?

Alcoholic or not - just thinking hot wintry drinks. Any ideas please? Ta.

Re: Hot drinks?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:45 pm

You can mull cider or apple juice as well as wine

A shot of rum works wonders in any kind of hot chocolate

Postby Lou » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:54 pm

A friend once told me that you can make white mulled wine. I tried it once and it was vile. It had thyme in it and was not a fan.

Has anyone ever tried a sucessfull batch?

I warm ginger beer on a bar menu the other day, I predict that may well be a "thing" this winter?
Especially after the success of crabbies and the like over the last two summers.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Not for me thank you. Apart from a really good espresso I just don't do hot drinks. I can't abide drinking anything from a mug, especially soup

I make mulled wine and cider for others but I rarely finish a glass. In the old days I used to have the odd Bovril at the match - but that was more ritual than pleasure.

The very thought of hot chocolate makes me :vomit . I make it for the family of course and am told I do a good job - squirty cream and chocolate flakes obligatory for some reason.

M loves a hot toddy if he is feeling under the weather - whisky or rum, lemon juice and honey with hot water. He has his own toddy glass ;)

Postby Wokman » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:23 pm

A nice hot drink on a cold evening has to be Irish coffee, I love it if it is made correctly with real cream floating on top.

Postby jeral » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:29 pm

@ Wokman: Is it possible, I assume with double cream. to float it on coffee if the coffee has no sugar? The small Irish coffees I've been served must have had at least a heaped teaspoon of sugar (not to my taste).

@ Lou: I was "trained" by a commited convert years ago onto Crabbies ginger wine (as against the other one, Stones? Sloan's I forget), so your heated sounds like a prospect for the fizzy Crabbies. Do you add anything to that?

Wondering if there are any with coconut? (Sorry Joanbunting as you've said you don't like it.) Like hot Malibu (white rum with coconut).

Hot toddy (i.e. heated whiskey sours) would suit me, though it doesn't seem to be flavour of choice for others...

Like the idea of rum in cocoa (assume dark rum), since it goes well in coffee but not sure what time of day one would drink coffee with rum. Breakfast smoothie anyone? ;)

Postby Wokman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:15 pm

jeral wrote:@ Wokman: Is it possible, I assume with double cream. to float it on coffee if the coffee has no sugar? The small Irish coffees I've been served must have had at least a heaped teaspoon of sugar (not to my taste).

I like to use double cream and then just whisk it a bit to thicken it, I like a spoonful of sugar, but not too much.
It just gives a warm glow to your body, but it has to be served in a glass, never in a mug :thumbsup

Postby Suelle » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:16 pm

During winter, I like to add hot water to the ginger and lemongrass cordial marketed by Bottlegreen.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:49 pm

Wokman wrote:I like to use double cream and then just whisk it a bit to thicken it, I like a spoonful of sugar, but not too much.
It just gives a warm glow to your body, but it has to be served in a glass, never in a mug :thumbsup
Thanks, I'll try that. There's something silly about getting a milky moustache :lol: On the glass, I bought from an antique shop a tulip-shaped glass jug (c.1 pint), which had an inbuilt glass hook on the side with a small glass cup hanging on the hook. I've never seen anything similar before or since and have no idea of provenance so dunno where 'twas made or what drink it was made to contain.

Thanks also to Suelle. I can buy fresh lemon grass and ginger, so will try making a tea infusion from them. I am a bit of a ginger freak, which must be hereditary as my dad was too (parkin, ginger biscuits). Ginger is a digestif so I guess could help for acid reflux peeps.

Postby fizl » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 am

I think you need a bit of sugar to float the cream. I have cointreau rather than whisky in my coffee floats, and don't need any extra sugar as there is plenty in there already

Postby Happy Violas » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:40 pm

I have just discovered Pimms No. 3 Cup for Winter in Waitrose .... heat gently with 1 part Pimms to 3 parts clear apple juice ... it is very moreish and hits the spot on a lazy evening watching the TV :wino

Postby jeral » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:46 pm

I don't have a Waitrose close by so tried Ocado's website (typically Waitrose products). They only have No.1 cup, not Pimm's 3, but I'm intrigued by their: "Similar searches: pies 3, pints 3, iams 3, tims 3 or piles 3". What on earth is piles 3? Answers on a postcard please to... Mind you, the word moreish is like a red rag to a bull to me so probably as well they don't stock Pimm's 3 cup ;)

Postby MrsWW » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:29 pm

A pinch of chilli in hot chocolate is nice - made even nicer by a shot of brandy or rum.

Return to Beverages