Register

Vitreous enamel baking tray - handy tips?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Vitreous enamel baking tray - handy tips?

Postby jeral » Sun May 13, 2018 6:38 pm

I've bought a flat one of usual size, about £12, and supposedly non-stick, as I'm fed up with tin trays with non-stick finish peeling or rusting after a couple of uses when used for grilling.

I'd like to think my new one might last with care.

Does anyone have one?

I rejected posh silver anodised ones since I want it for grilling rather than baking, or not if I manage to wreck it instantly, in which case, back to tin foil lining :lol:

Ta

Re: Vitreous enamel baking tray - handy tips?

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon May 14, 2018 9:13 am

Like most surfaces, don't scrub it too hard. Its' tricky with grill pans, as they get crusted in the corners, and it's tempting to go at it with a wire scourer.

Have you tried non stick foil, Jeral.
I think it's rather good. Too expensive to cover joints, but fine to put a piece in the bottom of a tray.

Postby jeral » Mon May 14, 2018 1:56 pm

Thanks Gillthepainter :)

I'm trying to cut down on tinfoil and baking parchment as liners as neither can be recycled if greasy and the other two users probably wouldn't bother since it's not yet peeling or rusty (whatever I say).

However, I'll no doubt be the washer-up so at least I know it won't get scoured.
---

Talking of paper, if anyone does craft work like pattern cutting, applique or stencils, read on:

I read about Reynolds freezer paper which is plastic coated and designed to wrap food in to preclude moisture ingress and avoid freezer burn. For crafts, if you lightly iron it onto fabric it sticks then can be peeled off and re-used.

I thought I'd buy a roll quick for sewing before they stop plasticising it.
Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Reynolds-Freez ... ezer+paper

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 15, 2018 10:48 am

I don't quite understand what you do with it in crafts.
Is it like an old fashioned iron on transfer do you mean?

Postby jeral » Tue May 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Hi, Gillthepainter, the paper isn't for transfers, it's for a pattern piece (or paint-through stencil if cut out like a doily). So a template, that you then iron on the fabric and cut around but allowing an unpapered seam allowance, then sewing through the fabric, not the paper which is to be peeled off (said to be reusable).

Thus no need for pins if a single layer.
Or if wanting to make a sturdier copy of a flimsy tissue pattern that you'll use again; or as in applique or patchwork where you want several same-shape pieces from one template.

I haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing it should also stabilise pieces (i.e. keep the grain true if ironed on right) especially e.g. circular collar facings or rounded pocket inserts where you don't want bias stretching or puckering whilst cutting out or sewing.

Sewing/crafts seem to be why Reynold's is hugely popular, almost all internet sites, and few if any plaudits for freezer use, but maybe as not many have deep chest freezers that cause burn.

TBH I thought of Uschi and her gorgeous elaborate hats (lots of bias cuts). Anyone heard from her lately?

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox