Register

Cheese.

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Cheese.

Postby Pommes » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:06 pm

What's your favourite recipe for using up the odds & ends from the wide range of remains on the cheese board? Just us 2 over the coming weekend so nothing too 'big' please? If it was me on my own I would nibble away for hours!!

Thanks in advance......all suggestions welcome.

Re: Cheese.

Postby Alexandria » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:41 pm

:thumbsup :thumbsup .. Excellent topic for cheese - a - holics ..

A cheese fondue perhaps if there is enough for two ..

A cheese board for dessert and served with fresh seasonal fruit ..

Of course, all depends too, on the varieties of cheese left over too .. :lol: :lol:

A salad with some of the cheese leftover with walnuts, fresh spinach leaves, tomato, red onion & a lovely vinaigrette ..

Which cheeses are left over ?

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:12 pm

If in doubt a variant on mac and cheese? Multiple cheeses work in that, leave it deliberately as a kind of cheese patchwork rather than blending in completely

Or in a similar vein quiche, crustless or with pastry

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:26 pm

The traditional Provencal way to use up bits of cheese is Cachat. This can use up any bits but basically one needs 50gr blue cheese, 100 gr goat's chees and any amount - up to 100gr any cheese,

Stick cheese into blender with 50gr thick ream and a slug of alcohol. Here we use Marc but just about anything will do. Whizz and pot

Serve either with the cheese course of as an appero on toasts.

I always have a pot in the fridge.

Postby DEB » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:21 pm

I am sure that I will get a number of people stating that it is not "correct" but use a lot of cheese up in savoury tarts aka quiche.

Postby Renée » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:01 pm

I always freeze down parmesan rinds to add to Minestrone, in fact I saw them on sale in Booths supermarket for the first time.

Postby Pampy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:06 pm

A cheese sauce for cauliflower and/or broccoli cheese and serve on its own with some crusty bread or with simple grilled meat or chicken.

Postby MariaK » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:09 am

Self-stuffed courgettes

I first made these years ago one evening when the fridge was almost empty and about all I had were a couple of courgettes and a piece of rather dry manchego cheese. Nowadays I make them with whatever's going - goat's cheese is rather good. Haven't tried with blue cheese but otherwise it's pretty well anything goes.

Parboil the courgettes. Remove, pour over cold water - from the tap to stop cooking. Split in 2 lengthways and remove the seedy bits over a shallow bowl or soup plate. Drain the courgette "boats" up side down. Save any juices, chop up the seedy bits and return to bowl, add a beaten egg, some fresh or dry bread crumbs, Salt and pepper and stir. Add grated or mashed cheese. You want a thickish paste. Fill the courgettes and place in a lightly greased dish. You can add some grated or thinly sliced cheese on top - or sprinkle top with some dry bread crumbs to create a light crust.

Preheat the oven to about 180ºC - bake for about 20 -30 minutes.

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:16 am

I'm happy to use a mixture of cheeses on toast or melted in sandwiches with bacon , mushrooms or tuna. Otherwise with macaroni or colly as mentioned, or atop a stuffed vegetable.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:04 pm

Renée wrote:I always freeze down parmesan rinds to add to Minestrone, in fact I saw them on sale in Booths supermarket for the first time.

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, I do too and so my parents and in laws and daughter in laws ..

It sure is heavenly in a from scratch home made Minnestrone ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Unfortunately, the cheeses left over are not mentioned by name, so no body knows which cheeses are being referred to .. :thumbsdown
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Pommes » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:04 pm

Hi to everyone who responded to my post yesterday. Have only just got back to the laptop & seen all your lovely replies.The cheeses leftover are a usual mix of blue, (St. Agur,) a couple of different creamy brie, Gruyère de France & local goats' cheese. As I really don't like cooked blue, we can take that out of this equation, otherwise am a big fan, but I am keen to give Joan's Cachet a try with a dash of local Cognac!
I also loved the courgette recipe & am keen to to try that, especially when they come into season in the garden, but for supper tonight, I think it will be a variation on the mac'n'cheese theme.

Thank you again for all your responses.

Pommes.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Pommes, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for your list of left over cheeses ..

I would use the blue cheese in a fresh spinach salad with walnuts, red onion, tomato and a light vinaigrette ..

The Gruyère, would be wonderful in a Fondue, or Quiche or a simple grilled cheese sandwich with tomato ( if you eat bacon that would work as well ) ..

Brie or similar bloomy rinded white cheeses: These bloomy rind cheeses work well: Sliced into triangles or Squares, dipped in egg and bread crumbs and sautéed in a little bit of French Evoo or an Hojiblanca Spanish light Evoo .. and they are a lovely appetiser with a sparkling white wine or white wine ..

Goat cheeses ( fresh Young ) work wonderfully in salads and / or with caramelised red and yellow onion .. Or simply left out at room temperature and served with fresh seasonal fruit .. And / or with roasted beets with red bell, onion, Green Italian horn pepper and cucumber as a filing in the beets .. Very Greek .. And drizzled with Evoo and a red wine vinegar ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :wave :wave :wave

Postby jeral » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Hi, a bit late, but stacks are good for melty cheese, e.g. start with a big portabella mushroom with a level tasty herby stuffing (packet mix will do if fridge empty). Then cheese, then slices of eating apple/cheese, parboiled potato/cheese, microwaved aubergine/cheese and garlic breadcrumb topping - baked, or baked as a gratin dish. (Add bits of cooked bacon, ham or chicken somewhere if meat is desired.)

I haven't thought of a way to incorporate alcohol, which is a pity as it does add something if you like it.

Postby karadekoolaid » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:02 pm

We always make "Pasta Cuatro Quesos" (Pasta with 4 cheeses). It doesn´t really matter if there are 3 or 5! Simply make a very light bechamel sauce and add the bits of cheese until they melt. Serve with tagliatelle or fettucine.

That same 4-cheese bechamel could be used for other things, too. On a baked potato, for example!

Postby scullion » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:50 am

pizza - again, the quattro formaggi type.

Postby kavey » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:31 am

This one https://www.kaveyeats.com/2016/12/chees ... uiche.html
(It's got a specific brand of chutney featured as they commissioned me to develop the recipe but we've made it with many different chutneys including homemade ones)

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:04 pm

very nice courgette take, Marja.

Soft cheeses?
I make a salad dressing - it's usually with blue cheese like gorgonzola.
Mixed with a small shot of J Daniels. Chopped chives, and creme fresh. Drizzle over leaves.

It's this recipe, that you can tweak heavily,
the dressing is good tho:

http://www.waitrose.com/home/recipes/re ... salad.html

Postby Pommes » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:46 pm

Love that recipe, Kavey. With a lot of different homemade chutneys, ( made with whatever glut we have in the garden), we have plenty of varieties to choose from.

Many thanks,

Pommes.

Postby Alexandria » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:53 pm

Joan, :clap :clap

Thank you for the cheese suggestion ..

Very very exemplary ..

Have a lovely Mother´s Day .. :wave :wave

Postby kavey » Sat May 05, 2018 10:37 am

Pommes wrote:Love that recipe, Kavey. With a lot of different homemade chutneys, ( made with whatever glut we have in the garden), we have plenty of varieties to choose from.

Many thanks,

Pommes.

Thanks, yes we usually use homemade chutney more often, I don't make as much now but we always get some from Pete's sister which is lovely with the cheeses.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox