Register

Yet another foodscare :-(

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Yet another foodscare :-(

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:56 am

@ Scullon,

The Usa exports transgenetics, or better known as Genetically Modified "poisons" as in Bayer - Monsanto .. and pays off Governments for allotted lands in France, Italy, Spain amongst others.

So guns are a quick death and Gmos are a slow death ..

Humanity Genocide ..

Have a nice weekend ..

:vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:07 pm

@ Sakkarin,

It is such a rarity that we hear about these "scares" in Spain and in actuality, I have never Heard of this in Spain ..

As a child, when my grandmothers or mom would bake cookies, pies, cakes, breads or pastries, I would take the spatula and lick the raw batter remains.

Never sick from it ..

My grandsons do same and I am a young grandmom ..

Seems to me, that The Usa and The U.K. ( England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Island) experience frequent occurences of "food scares" ..

I am uncertain if this is government ministers freaking out or supermarket scams or false ?

The governments should be more concerned about Genetically Modified transgenetic krap that they receive payments for, from Monsanto Bayer, to sell and re plant the krap on European soils.

Have a lovely weekend ..

:vomit :vomit
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Godson was at a local tiny primary school. They suddenly banned peanuts in any lunch boxes, whic his parents suspected was pc panic gone mad. Then another parent wrote a beautifully worded letter to all other parents explaining there was not one but two kids in the school properly diagnosed at Great Ormond Street as having life threatening peanut allergy and given the way small children smear food on themselves.... nobody broke the ban

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:26 pm

Yes, it's a tricky business. I used to make industrial lubricants, including ones for food machinery. Essentially those had to be free of animal derived, GMO or allergen (particularly nut and seed) ingredients, on health, ethical or religious grounds.

Much of the health concern is overstated, for example an emulsifier that was a chemical derivative of soya oil would not contain any soy proteins in their original form, but it is important not to be complacent. Our younger niece ate peanuts for most of her life through her teens but on her 19th birthday reacted to a Chinese takeaway and after a suite of hospital tests now carries an Epipen.

Postby Pommes » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:11 pm

And from a completely different angle, small children, aged less than 6 years, should not be given peanuts, as they are likely to inhale them.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:02 pm

Couldn't be bothered to read it, but a huuuuuge article moaning about nitrates in bacon.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/2018/m ... s-sausages

Now I'm off to hang my cured Lap Yuk up to dry...

Postby scullion » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:04 am

Sakkarin wrote:Now I'm off to hang my cured Lap Yuk up to dry...

i think you can get cream for that.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am

Ha ha ha.

Postby Renée » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:53 am

We can buy nitrate-free bacon in supermarkets now. However, I've just read this article in the Time magazine.

http://time.com/4092912/nitrate-nitrite ... ncer-meat/

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:41 am

I'm afraid if that's their prognosis Renee, then it is clear that I am going to die of bacon, so what will be will be as I'm not giving it up.

And on my passing, serve me up nice and crisply done between two enormous slices of bread.

Lap Yuk disease: :lol:

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:39 pm

I think it's a bit unfair to accuse Bee Wilson of "moaning" about nitrates and nitrates in that (very long) Guardian article. She's someone I have a lot of time for, and she doesn't generally moan but weighs up the evidence properly

If she is moaning it's about the bacon producers who know
1. The nitrates and nitrates are bad for consumers
2. How to make safer bacon without them

But apparently most can't be @£$ed to put these together and manufacture the nitrate free bacon, though you'd think it would be a good marketing tactic Generally she's cross that people don't act on the best evidence, even when it is quite easy and I agree with that

Postby capricornbcaroline » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:54 pm

I thought the article was excellent and well worth the time it took to read. Bee Wilson covers the point made in the Time article, but there is true nitrate free bacon now available in the UK. Called Naked Bacon its stocked by Waitrose and M&S. The writer did concede that it doesn't taste quite like the bacon we are used to but given the risks I will certainly try it. It was also news to me that for the last 25 years Prosciutto di Parma has been made without any nitrate or nitrite (I don't understand the difference so I'm quoting). Bee Wilson draws parallels between the way the tobacco companies once behaved and the way the bacon curers are now reacting to scientific proof of the link to cancer.

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:06 pm

I saw this when I was making cured beef.
Saltpetre (nitrate).
To be used very, very sparingly. Although we don't eat cured meats or bacon, so at the time I wasn't so concerned.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:26 pm

Nitrite = NO2 (+ something)
Nitrate = NO3 (+ something)

Saltpetre = potassium nitrate = KNO3

Postby Pampy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:34 pm

Isn't saltpetre also used in cooked meats?

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:52 pm

Saltpetre is traditionally used in many products that you might call deli meats or charcuterie (I feel the lack of a good old English word), including sausages, salamis etc. partly as a preservative, but largely to keep an appetising pinkish colour

I think it is used less than it was

But that's why the articles talk about "processed meats" rather than bacon and ham

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:07 pm

Perhaps it is, pampy.
As you say, Sue. Without preserving the colours, you can get a very grey looking meat.

I was wanting some sliced beef at the deli counter at Waitrose.
And asked for 4 slices from a joint.
Assistant corrected me and said that,s ham, madam.

For ham it looked real brown like.
She removed it from the display.

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:09 pm

The naked bacon was announced (I might have mentioned it) by an Irish company a few weeks ago, although I did see a maker in Europe was claiming a similar product just a week ago, so the idea of leaving out "nasties" could be catching on, especially after the kebab fiasco.

How a shopper would know for sure is anyone's guess. A label that says "nasties-free" is presumably about it, which is not very encouraging given self-certification "monitoring" or virtually no monitoring at all.

Incidentally, are nitrites/trates a new invention? I know hot countries would salt fish with common salt I think but what did they do about meat? Maybe they made mince meat by blowing it up with gunpowder (saltpetre).

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Do hotter countries not tend to usesome ordinary salt + sun to dry, rather than salt + saltpetre to "pickle" or preserve a fairly moist product?

Stockfish, biltong, jerky, pemmican etc?

I think I ignored the Naked Bacon, as I ignore all products with "nouvelle twee" names

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:24 pm

Just keeping this thread up to date.

Phthalates - that's today's horror story.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... tudy-finds

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox