Register

Yet another foodscare :-(

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Yet another foodscare :-(

Postby miss-mouse » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:45 pm

Sakkarin wrote:
What do they want us to think, that their workers were re-labelling rotten meat as some sort of prank, for the hell of it? Idiotic.

We all like a little joke at work such as sending the National Grid into meltdown, oh how everyone larfed at that one.

Isn't this privatisation going splendidly.

I am seriously worried about the awful food from the US. I worked in The Americas for a few years, not exactly ill but definitely not bounding with health.

'Spreads' have been losing their market share for some years I heard on the radio, someone from Unilever speaking I think .

Postby Petronius » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:12 pm

That's almost laughable. It's like a burglar up before the beak for numerous offences. 'It's not my fault yer 'onour, you should blame the police for not catching me sooner.'

American cattle are given growth hormones, antibiotics and maybe a lot of stuff we don't know about. Scary.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 am

Coffee's the hero for today...

Three coffees a day linked to a range of health benefits

(also linked in the Aeropress thread)

Postby Petronius » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:57 am

Unless you have lung cancer then coffee may increase the risk.

I've only done a quick flick through the BMJ's paper so may have to take that back. On more than one occasion I noticed it might improve health in one area but did not show significance.

I'll tell my coffee drinking friend who's just had his gall stones removed to drink even more coffee.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:10 pm

M was reading the article to me this morning as we sat in bad drinking our coffee.

We were wondering what they mean by a cup of coffee and that is expained to a certain extent.

However our coffe drinking is far from "standard" We never have instant in the house - both hate it. I will will refuse a coffee unless I know it is going to be properly and freshly made. I can smell instant a mile away - just as I can any tea at all.

I usually have one cup of lungo first thing and a restreto after lunch. Never after about 3.00pm. M always has another mid morning and I do on shopping days.

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:46 pm

This just made me giggle - such drama!!

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017111 ... mmon-foods

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:23 pm

Thank heavens it didn't mention raw kidney beans, the suspense would have been unbearable!!!!

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:31 pm

A clicky on Joanbunting's link refers to menu design: http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017112 ... rant-menus
The whole article is interesting (some of it we'd recognise) but this one surprised me:

[quote] "The words used to describe a food, however, may do far more than make them sound enticing – they can make our mouths water. A study from the University of Cologne in Germany last year showed that by cleverly naming dishes with words that mimic the mouth movements when eating, restaurants could increase the palatability of the food. They found words that move from the front to the back of the mouth were more effective – such as the made up word “bodok”."[endquote]

The lengths they go to! I might believe that more than I do if they'd given a couple of real food words. "Broccoli" is front to back yet hardly perceived as mouthwatering - maybe it's the exception to the rule?

It does make you wonder if your thoughts are your own with the extensive attempts to manipulate us:
"The restaurant industry has probably spent tens of billions of dollars over the years trying to understand menu design, menu engineering and psychology

One item it doesn't include is "dish of the day" on a chalk board, which one assumes is freshly made but it's said is more likely to be pushing the previous day's unsold items.

Surely all this word manipulation fails if the food is disappointing, i.e. no repeat custom?

Postby Renée » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:58 am

The music was scary enough, Joan!

Yes, I knew about those, except for the raw elderberries, but aren't these used to make home-made wine?

I wonder which insect makes holes in the rhubarb leaves?

Be careful about pips, because they contain cyanide, but I'm sure that a small amount wouldn't hurt and they would probably pass through whole.

Jeral, we're being manipulated all the time, but having knowledge of what they are getting up to is very helpful.

Postby Petronius » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:50 am

I assume we were all told as kids not to eat pips otherwise a tree would grow inside us!

A friend of mine used to make the most delicious elderberry wine.

Postby Linnet » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:22 pm

I've made elderberry jelly and elderberry vodka for years, and we're all still here!

Postby Pampy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:49 pm

Renée wrote:I wonder which insect makes holes in the rhubarb leaves?

When we used to grow it at home, caterpillars were the culprits for eating the rhubarb leaves.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:28 pm

Eating rhubarb or elderberry leaves is hardly normal practice, I'd imagine they aren't terribly nice

Almonds are actually pips, the seed of a fruit closely related to peaches and apricots. Cyanide and cyanogenuic substances are actuay part of the aroma. Sweet almonds aren't significantly toxic, bitter almonds are; but they are bitter, normal folks wouldn't eat many
I still intend to eat marzipan stollen in December

Postby Renée » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm glad to hear that you're all still here, Linnet!!! Cooked elderberries are fine, it's just the raw ones that are the problem. You must have used raw elderberries for the wine?

One wonders how the caterpillars survived all that oxalic acid in the rhubarb leaves?

Postby Linnet » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Yes, it is just elderberries, sugar and the vodka, left to 'soak' for a few months then filtered. Very tasty, but not the sort of thing you would drink a lot of!

Postby Lusciouslush » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:57 pm

And Another...............

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/foodanddrink/ ... spartanntp

Though it wouldn't bother me - haven't had one for centuries.

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:54 pm

We need Stokey Sue to tell us chemically, but it seems like doner discrimination to me since phosphates are used in cured meats like ham, bacon, sausages and chicken.

I wonder if the EU will attempt to ban its pig farmers producing cured meats with phosphates (ha ha). The possible carcinogenic threat from phosphates has been know for a decade, so why now and why doner kebabs only?

It's not yet a ban though until passed by the full parliament.

I also heard that roast spuds might be taken off sale. Will the proposed new EU army include a Flying Oven Squad corps?

Postby miss mouse » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:09 pm

It is fake news.

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article1 ... Krise.html

edited to add, German friend says;

"basically saying the EU is not responsible for making a decision on this."

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:20 pm

The doner kebab is the regional speciality of Stokey (along with hummus), we will be sad if it is taken from us :(

All the news reports I have seen are useless as they say "phosphates" but don't specify what form of phosphate

There's a lot of phosphate in meat to start with, bones are largely calcium phosphate, dairy is chock full of them... the German kebab sellers are angry that kebabs are specified and not sausages and other meat products as well, and I agree jeral it seems discriminatory...

Phosphates are not thought to be carcinogenic (that's the nitrite in cured meat) but bad for the heart, but the Guardian says that's mainly based on one 2012 study, and not really proven, so why the EU is getting its knickers in a twist now, who knows?

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:23 pm

miss mouse, I can't read German and the only English version I found is a deliberate satire. However, this is supposed to be EU news proper: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/p ... -in-kebabs

Seemingly the small group of MEPs on the Health Committee voted 32-22 to block the Commission's plan to allow phosphates in kebabs, which I think from another article is to regularise kebabs as "an allowed exception" as other meats are that include added phosphates.

The 32 MEPs would need an absolute majority vote of 396 MEPs (so another 364) to back them. I imagine it's safe to guess that they won't, so can just ignore this storm in a teacup.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox