Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Chatterbox

Postby Renée » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:00 pm

The talk of rosé wine reminds me that summer must be on its way!

I've been away staying with friends who live in the Lake District. It was the first time that I'd met up with them in many years, so we had a lot of catching up to do. The weather was sunny every day, but coolish on three days, but the rest were mild. We visited so many beautiful place which included Rydal Hall, where I went in a yurt which had a wood-burning stove and sold hand-made hats and scarves. There was such a lovely smell from the wood-burning stove as we approached. We looked around the gardens and had lunch there. We walked around Rydal Water, but there were only a few daffodils in bloom. They are so late there. Another day, was a walk around Tarn Howes and then lunch at the Black Bull in Coniston, where they have a micro-brewery at the back. I forgot to take my camera with me!

http://www.blackbullconiston.co.uk/index.html

Another day was a visit to Holehird Gardens, where they have National plant collections, but it was far too early in the year to see much. We drove to the top of Kirkstone Pass and lunch at the top at the very old Kirkstone Pass Inn. I had my first visit to a Lakeland Store. It's a lovely place and full of temptations! We did lots of walking in other places, too. It's such a beautiful area and only about an hour's drive from where I live.

http://www.holehirdgardens.org.uk/?welcome,3

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:28 pm

Joanbunting wrote:Hi Alison

He is gorgeous but round these parts an absolute pest.

They get up into lofts and the like and create mayhem.

PS I feed our residents on melons in the summer but don't tell anyone!

That photo Alison linked to is amzing - I really like it

It is very unusual to see a dormouse at all, and I do wonder if that was a captive one

We had dormice in our house in the Alps - dreadful pests, never found out what they ate in and empty house in which the food cupboards had long been emptied & bleached, but whatever it was, plenty of it came out of the the other end, very messy

And they are dangerous - they eat electrical insulation & cause fires, then they chew washing machine hoses and cause floods :(

Something is eating my young plants - I suspect a congregation of magpies, it is certainly birds but the cat doesn't seem to scare them off - but then she'd be scared of several magpies together (she's tiny, and quite easily scared). I've certainly heard magpies out there, there seem to be a lot around at the moment

A layer of fleece over the shoots seems to be keeping them off anyway

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:32 pm

Funny you should mention magpies Sue. We seem to have acquired one in our tiny front garden - completely oblivious to our cats and the wild cats too. We reckon s/he is eating the food we put out for the wildcats but can't understand why the mother cat will happily see off the big dog who bothers everyone, she doesn't seem to want to deal with the magpie.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Postby Renée » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:29 pm

How clever! They must be very fragile!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:42 pm

When my brother got married (25 years ago!), he went to Venice on his honeymoon, and brought me back some glass ants as a prezzie, which were incredible, each just a couple of millimetres long, but perfect. I put them wrapped in cotton wool in a matchbox for safe keeping. I must have thrown the matchbox out, as I never saw them again, and have felt guilty ever since :-(

The reason I found that website was that I was searching for "glass ants", to see if they were available online.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:20 am

Morning all.

That spider at the top just made me jump. :lol: Nice looking creature on the main page.

We had a nice weekend away. Got wind burnt on the beach on Saturday and dressed for winter on Sunday. :roll: Face is still stinging a little but never mind.

I made just a normal cake with the new tin but didn't split the mix evenly enough but it still turned out ok. Will be making the Scottish cake from the recipe that jeral gave soon. :thumbsup

I need to do some weeding in the front garden, now that the weather has warmed up a bit the dandelions have gone mad! :?

Have a look at this its gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... aYVmJWq0Pg

I am going to make a chunk of garlic and parsley butter in a bit. Then later once it has set will cut into slices to put under the skin of the chicken to roast for dinner later. It is delicious and keeps the meat really moist. Will have it with a salad and maybe some new potatoes. We bought some from the Co-op whilst we were away and they were really tasty. :yum

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 am

Morning all

Sakkarin that mantis is gorgeous!

Last time we were in Venice I bought some glass fish on little clear glass floats I gave them, with a trad goldfish bowl, to DD and family and they now live in her bathroom under a spot light. They look lovely and are much admired.

Glad you had a fun weekend Puss. M was working in the veg plot and managed to get a huge mozzie bite on his nose so he looks as if he has well and truly hit the bottle!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:22 am

Those glass figurines are gorgepus - defineitely a cut above the pulled glass miniatures I used to keep in a shadow box when I was a child

Postby Renée » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm so glad that you enjoyed your weekend away, Puss! I do similar with chicken, except to use butter, garlic and tarragon. It does make a difference.

The thing is, Sakks, what on earth are you supposed to do with such a tiny spider! :mrgreen:

I saw a very small pack of tiny Jersey potatoes in Sainsbury's yesterday, but would be surprised if anyone bought them at the price of £4! They didn't look very nice, either.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:18 pm

A propos absolutely nothing.

Just had an extremely excited telephone call from son who, with his sister, have applied for dual nationality UK/Bahamas. They found out from one of our ex-pupils when we were there last year that they are entitled because they were born there. They have both been accepted and are planning to travel to London to complete the paperwork and get their passports.

We found it very moving that they both took to the island of their birth as ..... if they had been born there. :thumbsup :thumbsup.

I suppose it might mean we need to take another trip :clap :clap :clap :clap

Here's the crime scene:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N ... hotostream

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Ouch Joan, I bet that was sore as well as itchy.

Great news about your son and his sister. :thumbsup I have to admit to being a little apprehensive at looking at the link when you said 'here is the crime scene'! What a relief :lol: and what a fabulous picture.

Renee I did add a little Tarragon to the garlic butter and OH said I had excelled myself! :o Cheeky Git! :lol: It was delicious though and we still have some left so we shall be having that for dinner this evening. :yum

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Hi Puss

I should have said that the health centre on the picture is at Deadman's Cay - so that is what they both have on their birth certificates. Son's is even better because the registrar was completely p****d when M went to register the birth (between Christmas and New Year) so the certificate is completely illegible and has my name where son's should be - crossed out and M's name - crossed out. Profession of father is "male" and mother's maiden name is teacher.

He has an ammended one but the original is just too good to be true

Postby Puss-in-boots » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:28 pm

JoanBunting wrote

He has an ammended one but the original is just too good to be true

:shock: Ya don't say! :lol: Perhaps you should get it framed. One of a kind.

I have to admit that I laughed all through reading that post, it makes you wonder how they got away with it!

Postby jeral » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:02 pm

My very first mentor when starting work was a retiring lady who has sadly recently died. Her best friend was called Enda due to a birth certificate spelling registration mistake; s/h/been Edna. I imagine such a mistake would have been very rare - I wonder if the registrar kept his job. Mind you, when President Obama was sworn in, he had to read the pledge twice so I guess mistakes can happen to anyone and he kept his job ;)

Site Admin

Completely nuts....

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Postby Puss-in-boots » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 pm

How ridiculous sakks!

Why is it there is plenty of food in the house but there is nothing to eat! :roll:

Making a cuppa, anyone want one? I have some Mcvities choc digestives. :yum

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 pm

My ghasts are flabbered!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:47 pm

My theory is he's just trying to keep warm coz somebody shaved him while he wasn't looking...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=4602912425132

Postby Puss-in-boots » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:49 pm

Those little dogs are Horrid. Each to their own I know but I certainly wouldn't have one.

I have been awake and up since 4am this morning so I will bid you all goodnight and sweet dreams.

Till tomorrow, sleep tight all. xxx

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox