Register

CHATTERBOX

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: CHATTERBOX

Postby miss mouse » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:27 pm

Suffs wrote:I've just read Sakkarin's message about the outage :o

I do think that he and Riocaz are heroes :clap

Without question.

Postby Renée » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:21 am

Absolutely! :thumbsup :clap :clap :clap

Postby jeral » Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:49 pm

On bread and thinking of the sandwich thread, I looked up making ciabatta - again - as I've always been deterred by the wetness/sloppiness of the dough. I found this site, where the baker uses a dough slicer to scrape up and pull the dough, in several stages intermittently so time consuming rather than muscle-ache kneading (watch video). The result looks fab, if you have the time: http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/baguette-movie/
and the informative recipe: http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/reci ... -baguette/

Incidentally, they also have an elaborate choux pastry instructional: http://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/our- ... ry-method/
They also reduce the temp.

Site Admin

Bit of a Brag...

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:20 pm

It always gives me a feeling of pride when I see the success of my local film studio in Watford, Leavesden Studios. Last year's crop grossed 3 billion dollars at the box office, with directors such as Steven Spielberg, Ridley Scott and Guy Richie filming here, and several Oscar Nominations/Wins for Darkest Hour.

I've only just found out that the 4th episode of the Cloverfield franchise is under production here.

TripAdvisor has reported that the Harry Potter Studio Tour (also here at Leavesden) has been the highest rated attraction in the world every single year since opening in 2012.

Watford Leavesden Studio Productions 2017:

Alien Covenant, Dir Ridley Scott, Box Office $240.7m
King Arthur - Legend of the Sword, Dir Guy Richie, Box Office $148.7m
Wonder Woman - Dir Patty Jenkins, Box Office $821.9m
The Mummy - Dir Alex Kurtzman, Box Office $409.2m
Kingsman: The Golden Circle - Dir Matthew Vaughn, Box Office $410.9m
Darkest Hour - Dir Joe Wright, Box Office $144.1m
Paddington 2 - Dir Paul King, Box Office $237.0m
Justice League - Dir Zack Snyder, Box Office $657.9m

Total Box Office 2017: $3,070,400,000

2018 Productions:

Tomb Raider - Dir Roar Uthaug, Box Office $212.2m
Ready Player One - Dir Steven Spielberg ---
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Dir David Yates ---
Overlord (Cloverfield Part 4) - Dir Julius Avery ---
Wonder Woman 2 - Dir Patty Jenkins ---

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:49 am

We watched King Arthur last month on Amazon.

It's got a nail biting fight scene on ice. Excellently done.

Postby Suffs » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Hot cross buns in the oven ... not sure that starting them off yesterday afternoon and leaving them in the fridge overnight saved a lot of time ... by the time we'd got them out of the fridge and they'd got back up to room temperature and finished their rising it was half past eleven ...

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:04 am

It's well worth the effort, as apparently they can last up to 200 years; this one's a youngster at just 115 years' old...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-le ... e-43587859

Incidentally talking of great age, the wisest thing I've read this year comes from the oldest man in the UK:

Robert Weighton from Hull, aged 110 sums up life:

"Most of the trouble in the world is caused by people taking themselves too seriously."

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:07 am

Needless to say, what an odd tradition, Sakkers.

My favourite "sums it up nicely" is you reap what you sow.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:28 pm

There's a London (Mile End Road, heart of the East End) pub called the Widow's Son where they kept a hot cross bun every year, a tradition started when the original widow started to keep them for her son, who was lost at sea - started around 1840 I think
The pub has closed and reopened in the last couple of years, and judging from their web site the traditional has been lost

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:10 pm

Some interesting piccies of ingredients being grown in the linked article below. Cashew nuts are particularly weird.

And can anybody identify what that is in the piccy?

http://news.sweetandsavory.co/certain-f ... -267605142

Postby Renée » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:49 pm

How fascinating, but I would never have guessed that they were peanuts! I did once see a cinnamon tree in Ernest Hemingway's garden in Key West.

Postby jeral » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:10 pm

When you know all the cliches like "peanuts are ground nuts", or the proverbial price of saffron=gold, it's easy to forget that you (meaning me) don't know things, e.g. what produces star anise seeds? (I realised I had to look that up at the weekend, only because it struck me that I didn't know.)

Postby Pampy » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:31 pm

And parts of the cashew plant are toxic https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew

Postby Renée » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:40 pm

... and so are citrus pips, cherry stones, apricot stones and others, no doubt! They just contain cyanide!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:18 am

Are you absolutely sure they are peanuts?
I mean. They look nothing like peanuts. Didn't know about the cyanide thing - save apple pips.

The first non rainy day - Yay.
I'm off out on my bike. I'll swing by Waitrose and put our evening meal purchases in the backpack.
And onward into the studio.

I'm sewing at the moment.
Tony's got some glorious ties from his work days and Germany. But they are wide.
So I'm taking some of them in by a good 3cms. So they are more wearable.
We've got a wedding in 2 weeks and nothing in the shops compares to the ones he already possesses.

Still selling unwanted trinkets on Ebay.
Current balance is at £250. For costume jewellery that I haven't touched for 2 or 3 decades.

If you take it steady it's fairly risk free.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:43 am

Almonds also contain cyanide
The cliche in detective stories is "the victim smells of almonds! He has been poisoned with prussic acid [cyanide]!" But of course it is really almonds that smll of cyanide. :D
Sweet (ordinary) almonds are safe enough but bitter almonds (which you can't easily buy) are quite toxic if you eat a lot, which you wouldn want to, even if you can afford them!

My Dad used to add two bitter almonds to a batch of sloe gin, but a tiny drop of good almond extract will do the same job

Postby Rainbow » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:58 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Are you absolutely sure they are peanuts?
I mean. They look nothing like peanuts.

Yes they do look like peanut flowers. Interesting lifecycle for peanut plants - the peanuts grow underground from the flowers - they are legumes, so not really nuts. I'd no idea about them - always interesting to learn something new :D

'Native to Brazil, peanuts probably adopted their odd reproductive strategy as a way of persisting in sandy soil where drought and wildfires were a constant risk. Plants that develop seeds underground are naturally resistant to predators, fire and dry weather. Here's how the peanut show goes.

About six weeks after the seeds sprout, peanuts plants produce pea-like yellow flowers on fleshy stems, which only last a day. Once fertilized, a short stalk at the base of the ovary (termed a pedicel) elongates to form a thread-like structure known as a "peg". This peg grows down into the soil, and the tip, which contains the ovary, develops into a mature peanut pod.

Once underground, the pegs move sideways to form a cache of ripening nuts under the crown of the plant. This flowering and pegging goes on for more than a month, and meanwhile the plants grow into sprawling bushes. When the plants finally begin dying back, or before the first frost, the plants are pulled up, roots and all, during a period of dry weather.'

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:09 am

Well legumes they may be, but dead nutty legumes!

But they are wide. So I'm taking some of them in ---- so they are more wearable.

Horses for courses! I had ones like (a) in the 70s and (b) in the 80s.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:05 am

I was more

Or

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:01 am

ha ha ha.
I'm trying hard to think if I had a tie. In the 80's I wore a bow tie with a frilly blouse.

New Romantic

Thanks for the info Rainbow.
I really never knew that. You do find these things out when you visit factories and farms on holidays.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox