Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 am

Morning Q.
I do hope you've survived the visitors. Some people are nothing short of tricky, and others go the other way and make up for it.
I'm in the latter category, dontcha know.

Last of that incredibly tasty lamb.
The jus was still mega intense. It was stronger than the mint sauce!
Creamed leaks and "hand cut" carrots. Tescos carrots were jolly good too this time.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:30 am

That jus does look vicious!

I'm afraid it's sacrilege, the last of mine went in a sandwich, although I did have a plateful of roast too the day before...

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:41 am

I can still taste it. Thanks again for the recommendation.
Sandwich sounds great.
Probly because sanwiches are my favourite easy meal.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:44 am

Busy week and so lunch out and we have shared tapas or Japanese early evening .. :wave :wave

Preparing for our May 1st, 2nd long holiday weekend .. Mother´s Day in Spain and lots of tourists headed in our direction ..

Have a lovely day .. :lol: :lol: :thumbsup :thumbsup :clap :clap
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:46 am

Gilt the Painter, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Looks sinfully wonderful ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Renée » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:38 pm

Looks amazing Gill! Did you cook the lamb with red wine, to get that wonderful jus?

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:54 am

Someone mentioned Shepherd's Pie the other day and it stuck with me. In the end I thought I'd go for Cottage Pie as beef mince is cheaper than lamb, but when I was in Tesco I opted for Aberdeen Angus mince, which was nearly as much as lamb mince anyway, even on special offer. Very tasty though.

As usual, took hours to make and seconds to devour.

Postby karadekoolaid » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:38 am

And very pretty it looks too!! :clap

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:08 am

Look at that piping! You're not a beginner.
Tescos seems to be doing jolly good with their meat at the moment.

Renee, 1 glass of red wine that has been rattling in the fridge door since Christmas! to 3 glasses of water. 3 unpeeled cloves of garlic, which I took out, but did not squeeze.
So it was very gently infused with garlic. No herbs.
Baked for 5hrs.

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:59 am

Shepherd's pie is the default leftover usage for roast lamb in this house, and the slow cooked shoulder from last weekend was no exception. We finished it yesterday. No attempt at piping the mash though, just get to work with a fork and a bit of goose grease to aid browning. :D

Another peculiarity here is that it's quite a dry dish, served with pickles and salads rather than gravy and veg. Last might I made red cabbage coleslaw to go with it.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:13 am

I wouldn't usually pipe the mash! It was just that I'd prepared all the ingredients so lovingly I thought I'd go the whole hog (hog? cow?) to honour that Aberdeen Angus that died on my behalf. I do so hate washing up after piping.

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:44 am

Far less of a problem with the disposable bags ! They are plastic though.

It looks good enough to eat Sakkers :yum

It's fish pie for us tonight

Postby QinNortham » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:17 am

sakks, hopefully this is a link to the original I saw Michel Roux Jr make. https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=GA8 ... le&f=false

Postby QinNortham » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:48 am

Ooops, got carried away with my self there. Meant to say the first time I made the recipe I did try and re create as on Masterchef but what a faff. The originals were individuals - a bit like Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney Puddings. Known as Baby's Heads in the Navy! I ended up having to line large tea cups with cling film, brushing with melted butter, lining with the pastry, filling, lid, turning on to baking tray and brushing with an egg wash. Mr Q thought they were gorgeous but by this time I just wanted to lie down in a darkened room.

When I make it again as a large pie I'd be inclined to use Simon Hopkinson's Short crust pastry to line the tin and top with puff. https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/my_m ... _and_42949

I can recommend his recipe for his Mother's Cheese & Onion pie utterly wonderful.

Gill, that lamb looks absolutely wonderful.

Postby Renée » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Thanks for the info Gill! I've made a note.

What a gorgeous Cottage Pie, Sakks! Yes, takes hours to make, but gone in 10 minutes. A bit like Christmas Dinner! :lol: :lol:

I'm having Chicken Marbella again, after having enjoyed it so much recently. I'm about to put it in the oven.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:10 am

Sakkarin,

Looks sinfully good ..

Lunches this week were all Restaurant close to the office & local within walking distance ..

Today, my parents and my in laws ( Visited us ) and treated us at a lovely regional Spanish Restaurant and I had the fresh wild amberjack which is also called Rudder fish from Mallorca, for my main course .. It was simply delectable .. It was prepared with 3 different light breadings, a sesame seed, a hazelnut and a pistachio and lightly sautéed at very low temperature. Served with a tri color salad ..

For an appetiser, we all shared the fresh wild "cazon" which in English is, " Tope Shark " a grouper / cod type textured White fish with a sandpapery exterior ..

This fish is commonplace at Andalusian Tapas Bars, and is placed in an Adobe Marinade and sautéed in Evoo. It is sublime exquisiteness ..

Nice weekend wishes.

:wave :wave

Postby Badger's Mate » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:18 am

fresh wild "cazon" which in English is, " Tope Shark "

I believe that is similar to what we call Rock Eel, which is really a number of species of dogfish quite popular as a variety of fish and chips, particularly around London.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:52 am

Last night we had a lovely poached salmon salad with medium boiled bantam eggs and some Russian salad & warm crusty bread on the side. The eggs came from the farm which is part of the residential school and college where I work. They are so dinky and I luckily managed to cook them perfectly so they had a firm white and sticky yolk; I actually gasped with delight and relief as I cut into them! They tasted wonderful too! We had the perfect weather for that meal yesterday and it went down a treat. As it's a bit cooler today I'm not sure what we'll be having tonight, it could be soup or something with garlic bread.

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:28 am

Badger Mate,

Goof Morning, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Tope Shark has no resemblance to an "eel" .. Tope shark looks like a baby shark .. :lol: :lol:

It is called Cazón in Spanish, Milandre in French, Hundshai in German, and Perna de Moça in Portuguese .. In Basque it is called Gelba and Catalan, Caço ..

Eel is called Angula ( Anguilla ) in Spanish and resembles a lizard like serpent like fish .. Sometimes called Elver or Common Eel in English ..

Yes, I like rudderfish or amberjack very much .. It is quite common in Mallorca and Sicily .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely weekend .. ( My great grand parents and grand parents were involved with the fishing industry, as they fished and purchased for their Hospitality Company ) ..

Postby Alexandria » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:31 am

Saturday Lunch: Today is lunch at home, and Pasta Day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

It is only 11.30am, so still un-decided ..

A Marinara from fresh tomato, and probably tagliatelli or linguini ..

Have some amazing Parmigiani ( Parmesan ) 24 month old aged which I sent back to my office when I had been in Italy in February ..

Simple and light with some fresh basil from my terrace .. And a radicchio & rocket salad with Italian Evoo and Modena aged Balsamic Vinegar ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave :wave

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox