Register

Veggie version of sausage casserole?

Swap ideas and tips or ask advice about being a veggie.

Veggie version of sausage casserole?

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:13 pm

Do any of you vegeterian foodies use 'veggie sausages'? I haven't tried them, and can't imagine they would be nice - but am happy to be told they are delicious, or what alternative you might use. I am making a large sausage casserole for about 20 burley men, and there are 5 vegetarians among them - I was going to do a typical oniony tomatoey, beany sauce with cooked sausages and bacon in the meaty version - and wondered what to do to make the vegetarian version delicious. Would that basil tofu be nice?

Any help appreciated!

HH

Re: Veggie version of sausage casserole?

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:31 pm

I used to cook a lot for veggies and used veggie sausages quite a bit

They worked quite well in things like casseroles, and I know vegetarians who salivate at the thought of non-toads in the hole with onion gravy

If making a veggie sausage casserole I'd use sausages not tofu which will fall to bits - Cauldron are OK, and the ones I am most used to, supermarket own brands are similar in my experience, and I've heard Redwood are good, though I don't think I've had them. Taifun are probably quite good too

http://cauldronfoods.co.uk/our-range/sausages/lincolnshire-vegetarian-sausages/

http://www.goodnessdirect.co.uk/cgi-local/frameset/sect/CMSB-Veggie_Sausages.html

Just don't use Tivalli which are nasty IMO

Obviously you'll have to leave out the bacon but a little smoked paprika will go a long way to replacing it

Also skip the Worcestershire sauce if you put it in, Lea & Perrins contains anchovy, there are veggie versions (such as Henderson's relish) available but to be honest - a little soy and a dash of Tabasco will do the job.

Or give up and do a three bean chilli, but do extra the omnivores will scoff a fair bit !

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:24 pm

Another vote for Cauldron sausages - even my meat-eating son likes them. However, some veggies don't either like or agree with fake meat, but as long as it's veggie anyone who feels that could just fish it out as it doesn't contaminate the surroundings as sausage and bacon fat does.

It's a carnivore thing to think that a dish has to have meat in order for it to be tasty, which to a veggie is like giving up at the first hurdle. For texture, I'd add some field mushrooms (big pieces), or chunks of Portobello ones. These would also sit well in a 3-bean casserole that Stokey Sue mentioned. I use olive oil for sweating stage.

You can add a pinch or so of curry powder or garam marsala to the casserole. When sweating the onions to start, try adding ginger powder and cumin (the smell alone is enough to get taste buds going), before adding the tomatoes and beans. Basil will of course be fine if tomatoey. Don't over-compensate with seasonings/herbs though - not necessary - add "just enough" not more "just in case".

The thing is, if it tastes good to you, it will to them also :)

PS: I'm not a tofu fan so offer no comments on it.

Postby Mrs Vee » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Hungryhousewife - a vote for Cauldron sausages from me, too. I've tried most others that are readily available and the only ones I steer well clear of are Quorn - they're vile and I wouldn't give them to a dog! Taifun Basil tofu is good in a stir-fry (or in a wrap with some salad!) but I wouldn't use it in a casserole.

I love a sausage casserole when the weather's like it is at the moment - a real winter dish. :thumbsup
Last edited by Mrs Vee on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Happy Violas » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:09 pm

I did a recent veggie bean casserole cum chilli and added sweet potato which went down very well .... made it a bit more substantial for the men :thumbsup

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:06 am

Oh Great!! Thanks so much to you all!

Sue, your ideas sound excellent and thanks so much for warning me about the anchovy in L&P - I wouldn't have thought of that! Paprika is good though, and I have a lovely smokey one we brought back from Spain! Great idea!

I saw the Taifan sausages in Waitrose - also I saw some falafel, which I wondered if they might be nice put in at the last minute, or would they fall apart?

I expect Waitrose had cauldron sausages too, so will look in the morning.

I love vegetarian food, but am not used to the meat substitutes!

HH

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 pm

I'd leave the falafel out personally - I love falafel but not on stews

Postby Mrs Vee » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Hi HH - I wouldn't go for falafel in a sausage casserole, they'll just break up and go soggy. This is my usual recipe http://simply-veggie.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... erole.html but you might want to leave out the wine, and use extra stock, unless you're sure your wine is veggie.

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:38 pm

Thanks so much for all your thoughts on this one.

I wasn't able to get any Taifan sausages, but used their 'smoked tofu' with almond and sesame! It was delicious. I brought the tomatoey, onioney, chickpea sauce up to a simmer, then put in chunks of the smoked tofu - it stayed very firm, and was delicious. I took Sue's advice and added a good spoonful of smoked Spanish paprika which definitely added depth - then at serving time scattered on some chopped parsley and torn basil.

Thanks Mrs Vee for the note about vegetarian wine! I didn't know there was such a thing!! Anyway, I didn't use any, and again, wouldn't have even thought that wine would have caused a problem.

Anyway - every scrap was eaten! Thank you all very much!

HH

Return to Veggie Chat