Register

Remedies and Foods with Health Benefits

How to curb your cravings and stay away from the ice cream!

Re: Remedies and Foods with Health Benefits

Postby hungryhousewife » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi Joan! Hope you had a good trip, and that your kitchen was in order on your return!! :lol:

I agree with you about flax seeds in bread, although I have only added the golden ones - but they do have a nice texture and I feel they are doing me good - although, like you, I don't eat much bread or wheat unless I just can't resist! Funnily enough - when we are in France I find that the bread doesn't make my tummy so 'cross', as when we are in the UK - do you think it is the French flour?

HH

Postby efcliz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:36 pm

I buy really cheap dark linseeds from the Indian shop and grind them daily in my spice grinder and put them in my muesli. It's important for vegans for essential fatty acids. If I stop taking it for any reason I notice very quickly because my hands get very dry with flaky skin.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:52 pm

Yep.
I put ground linseed into anything I possibly can.

Goes well with cottage cheese - if you like it that is.

Postby efcliz » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:06 pm

Ground linseeds mixed with water make a rather good vegan substitutions for egg too. It goes very gloopy so is often used as a vegan binding agent.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue May 01, 2012 10:53 am

Interesting sub, Liz.

Actually the gloopiness is quite pleasant I think.

Postby jeral » Wed May 02, 2012 5:06 pm

I asked my mum if she still drank pearl barley water and she's says no, because she reckoned it also helped to clear/clean out kidneys by acting as a mild diuretic but now has to take water tablets to do that.

She does still drink a small amount of diluted, of course, cider vinegar daily though, so has now for donkey's years, so she must still think it worthwhile. Using cider vinegar in salad dressings and for pickling is a relatively new concept to me (a lot less than donkey's years) so with summer hopefully approaching...

Postby denada » Thu May 03, 2012 6:17 pm

Barley water has been used for years for its health benefits and it's one way I deal with my glut of lemons when I'm home, it makes a lovely lemon barley drink. I don't know how much I'd have to drink though to reap any health benefits. I read somewhere that barley helps in lowering cholestrol and reduces the risk of type 2 diabetes. It's also supposed to help in prevention of gallstones and I can remember my Dad being told to drink it way back in the 1950's when he had kidney stones. I drink it because I like it.

Postby jeral » Thu May 03, 2012 8:33 pm

The mention of it in another thread reminded me that fennel/fennel seed has a fair few health benefits: http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/fennel-seed.html At least one I can attest to, being as gripe water for babies. It might be worth looking at it afresh.

Postby MichaelAnsara » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:20 pm

I like this thread and all posts are wonderful. I got so many ideas about food and remedies so thank you everyone. I will keep all these ideas in my mind.

Postby Renée » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:36 pm

Well, whatever happened to this thread?!!!

I've been taking probiotics from H&B for three years and haven't had a gout attack and I had been getting them more frequently. I read yesterday that sauerkraut contains trillions of probiotics. I need to read up on this, because I also read recently that fermented foods such as gherkins in vinegar contain a lot of prebiotics. From what I've read, these feed the probiotics.

Postby jeral » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:45 pm

I looked it up this week - sparked by something on TV? - as to what the difference was: live yoghurt vs pre- vs pro-biotics.

The trick seems to be that they (manufacturers and marketers of highly priced items) claim to know which bacteria is predominantly in theirs.

One article said that they strain their yoghurt three times. I don't get the difference between three times and straining once for longer, but perhaps that's an industrial convenience, unless straining somehow filters out some unwanted bacteria? Who knows as it just becomes gobbledegook after a while.

But, their point was that in some commercial yoghurts the amount of active bacteria could be minimal once other things had been added. Now that I'd agree with if you look at some added ingredient labels on popular brands.

That's as far as I've got. Well, that, and health claims debatable. But like all things, e.g. cider vinegar, if it works for you, it works. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

For now, I just make my own yoghurt using a plain live yoghurt starter (saving a bit for next batch).

I mentioned cider vinegar as my mum swears by it (for all sorts). I'd try some (teaspoon in small glass of water) as a slimming aid as a wannabe teenager and it was so awful but I do think it cured me of having a sweet tooth. Now, it's good in salad dressings etc...

Postby natch » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:24 pm

I thought I would bump up this interesting thread!

Raw garlic is a natural antibiotic! It is also known to have antifungal and antiviral properties.

A simple way to eat it like this would be as garlic butter on toast! Mmmmm :yum
Keep calm and eat chocolate!

Postby aerona » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:39 am

Great thread!

I also find putting ginger in the tea beneficial while having a cold. I usually mix up honey, garlic and lemon in my tea. :)

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Hello aerona and welcome to the board :wave

I'm afraid I missed your posts as I tend to focus on the "Food Chat" section.

I hope you're keeping well in this cold weather.

Ginger is also very good added to morning smoothies. I know garlic is good, but it's not something I find palatable so it doesn't reach the top of my list. Chilli does though (for nose/chest clearing) even though I'm not a bit fan of chilli - but when needs must...

Look forward to seeing you in the Food Chat section I hope :)

Previous

Return to Healthy Eating