Register

Plant partners

Just testing

Plant partners

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:59 pm

When I was shopping yesterday I picked up a leaflet issued by the Natural Regional Park - about vegetable growing without chemicals.

There is a whole table of plants you can grow together to their mutal benefit and protection.

M already plants french marigolds amongst the tomatoes but apparently growing haricots vert amongst the aubergines and potatoes discourages Colorado beetles and other similar beasties, while tomatoes and dill discourage carrot fly.

Does anyone else do this? What works and which ideas are old wives tales?

Re: Plant partners

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:32 am

Well, I know it's not a myth as you plant things which insects are more likely to go for, which is different from underplanting hoping that both will grow and survive in turn, so yes one is "sacrificed". I believe they are called "companion plants". This is an example: http://www.ehow.com/info_8161207_compan ... lants.html

It's hard to say what works until you try it in your own mini ecology, i.e. what eats greens or flowers but might eat aphids too so the trick is knowing which insects to attract of course and any likely prevalent ones to repel or distract. What I mean is that I guess every garden will attract its own bugs so probably no one rule fits all.

Re: Plant partners

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:19 pm

Hi Joan!
I don't think its an old wives tale. Callendula has been used as a companion plant to keep carrot fly away - borage is more attractive to black fly than broad beans, so if you don't want black fly on your broad beans, plant a row of borage nearby - basil has a strong smell which overwhelms the bugs that like to go for certain plants, and puts them off, and things like lavender and roses were grown in veg patches partially because they looked pretty, but also because their scent puts distracts and confuses the bugs, which might be after other stuff!
HH

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board