Register

Have you got half an hour?

Just testing

Have you got half an hour?

Postby eschscholtzia » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:11 am

In the back garden I have a border of about 18' long, 3ft wide one end and about 6ft wide the other. It is bordered by a 6ft high brick wall and mostly overhung by a large oak tree growing outside the property. Over the years I've planted all sorts of perennials but the majority don't survive apart from the old fashioned aquilega which seed themselves everywhere, including the grass patch called the lawn. I'm trying to eradicate them and have cleared most of the ground. Surviving are a border of pinks, a red hardy salvia which has survived the last 3 winters, much to the surprise of the friend who gave me the cutting, 2 clumps of hardy geraniums (pink and dark mauve) a white Japanese anemone, single small pink hardy fuchsia, some orange day lilies ( which I don't much like but they do provide some colour) and a single red rose, the last two inherited with the property. In the spring primroses ands pulmonaria tend to self set. i live in Berkshire so we don't usually have very severe winters. What would you suggest I plant now? I'd like some colour most of the summer and, as I'm 84, something not requiring too much maintenance would be an advantage. There - you can go and have that cup of tea now!

Re: Have you got half an hour?

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:51 pm

Hydrangeas?

There are some really nice varieties around now, and they love shade

You could even plant a hydrangea petiolaris (climbing type) up the wall to brighten the background - they tend to be cream, which won't clash with anything, even the day lily. It doesn't need wires or trellis (bonus)

I had luck with winter flowering jasmine (jasminium nudiflorum) in a similar border, but it can get very untidy if not severely hacked back.

Postby ShotleyGirl » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm

What about Hebe, they flower this time of year no matter what the weather - our's is a lovely white/lilac and is flowering as I type.

You could also plant lavender or dwarf buddlea (sp) they would flower all summer long and would benefit from a trim in the autumn to keep them in check.

Postby juliana50 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:11 pm

Hello. I understand your wish for low maintenance and yet the need for summer colour.
I know a wall in Yorkshire (alas not mine) with a climbing hydrangea which I covet. It is a really lovely sight, though I can't advise on aspect, nor whether it's fussy. I just wish I had a wall! Not really appropriate for our bungalow.

Our garden has enjoyed quite a variety of hebe over the years, some failed to survive the winters but those that succeeded have been very rewarding.

My suggestion would be astilbe. I have several, pink, white, red, purple and they are a mass of colour just now. They are said to flourish "in light shade" but in my previous home they loved the shade while here they are in almost full sun. They never fail to delight visitors and ar not at all expensive. My husband's only grumble is that they are not evergreen but in my experience they have always been totally reliable.

Do let us know what you choose :)

Postby jeral » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:17 am

For colour, and if your soil suits roses and gets sun, have you tried a floribunda or two that flower at a different time and only need dead heading then a secateurs trim once a year.

For ongoing, zero maintenance, hardy, your soil seems to grow things mine would so have you thought of a euphorbia wulfenii? It's a green almost spiky leafed plant that sends up yellowy-green flower heads - this looks close: http://www.sarahraven.com/shop/euphorbi ... fenii.html The flowers are poisonous if eaten and it's said to be a skin irritant, which might be a problem though children and pets never fell foul of ours. I grew a couple easily from a neighbour's cutting.

Red hot pokers also grew well in a relatively shady spot.

Postby eschscholtzia » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks for all your suggestions. The wall is already covered with varigated ivy and jasmine and as it's just a single wall I don't think it could stand a climbing hydranga much as I would like it. I like the sound of astilbe's and a site on here says I can grow them from seed so I can get them going for next year. I think I'll probably add alstromeria and a few dahlias and use antirrhinums as annuals. I have several self sets from last year flowering in the front. Are slugs and snails particularly partial to astilbes? I think they are the cause of so many failures in the past.

Postby juliana50 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:56 pm

(/quote)Are slugs and snails particularly partial to astilbes? I think they are the cause of so many failures in the past.[/quote]

Actually eschscholtzia I would say that my astilbes are one thing the slugs and snails have never shown an interest in!
And the leaves are so pretty even apart from the flowers, They have always been one of my favourite plants. I do hope you enjoy them.

Postby eschscholtzia » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Oh good! I shall definitely go for them then.

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board