Register

Bindweed going berserk...

Just testing

Bindweed going berserk...

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:11 am

Is it good to cut it at ground level, or does that just invigorate it? Don't think I could find a root to dig out.

Don't know how it arrives in the first place TBH but the wet weather seems to be making it happy.

Re: Bindweed going berserk...

Postby Suelle » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:30 am

The only way to get rid of bindweed is to kill the roots. If you can't dig them out you may need to resort to a carefully applied systemic weedkiller.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:21 am

We had bindweed problems in the NE and M-I-L (a fanatical gardener) told us to get some systemic weehkiller and a paintbrush and paint the stems - a tedious job but it worked.

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks both. I didn't know it was the stems that one painted, I thought it was the leaves so glad I learned that.

I'm just thanking my lucky stars that it's not mare's tail which we had in one garden. Apparently the roots of that darn stuff goes down many many feet.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:03 pm

You don't need to paint them

Get a suitable systemic weedkiller (glyphosate)

Make up, and put some into empty tin cans

Roll up the ends of the bindweed stems round your fingers (rubber gloves please) and dunk into the tin cans, leave a couple of days - the bindweed will pump enough glyphosate to the roots to kill it, before the leaves give up working

Keep children and animals away from the cans of course - pets will try to drink it, and it is toxic to them

We used this technique successfully on a steep bank that was covered in bindweed, but you couldn't have painted it, not withotu falling off!

Replant the are quickly with something - we used periwinkle

Afterthought: much easier to stuff the bindweed into the cans dry, then top up with weedkiller! SDsaves a lot of spillage and possible skin contact

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks. I'll have to have a little think (children/pets). My usual plan is to go for least drastic first and escalate as necessary. Apparently, an amateur weather forecaster says it's going to be blazingly hot in July here, so that won't help it.

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:48 pm

What a great tip Sue!
When we moved to our house, it was a jungle full of leylandii, brambles, bind weed, mares tails AND ground elder!!!! We started by strimming all the brambles, cutting down 36 leylandii trees (!!!) and carting to the dump (in my poor old Mondeo - who's suspension went soon after :cry: ) then digging over the soil and removing all the pernicious roots - before planting with garden plants. We were ok to dig, as there was nothing in the garden to save (apart from the poor fruit trees we discovered buried under the leylandii!!)

Any way - now - 12 years later, we have very little sign of any of the nasty little blighters - and when we do we dig down and pull up as much root as possible - then put it in the bin - not the compost heap.

Now all my lovely plants are becoming established, I don't like to dig under the roots of things I like. I will use your method next time!! :clap

HH

Postby Dena » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:14 pm

When I had some in my garden, I just called it Albino Morning Glory!!!

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:23 pm

Hi Dena - It's so pretty when it's out, I agree! But it's such a thug if not yanked out by the roots!!

I've just spotted several strands twinging their way up my lovely roses! I can't wait for this rain to stop so I can pull it up before it gets a hold! Every time you pull it out it weakens the root.

HH

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board