Register

Wild rabbits

Just testing

Wild rabbits

Postby Limaoemportuguese » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:57 pm

We are having a problem with wild rabbits, eating my lettuces and herbs, is there a humane way of getting rid, or stopping them, from coming into the garden. We are not fenced all around and have a rather large wild garden including fruit trees, and almond trees.

Re: Wild rabbits

Postby hypercharleyfarley » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Hello - there's no easy solution to the problem - I have more or less given up trying now and have fenced off my small veg patch with chicken-wire netting. If your garden isn't large you might be able to do the same, but the netting has to be fixed above ground level AND dug in approx 15" below ground to stop the rabbits burrowing up and under it. Apart from size, the lie of the land as regards my own garden makes it impossible to do this as the level is above that of the surrounding fields. As a result the rabbits feel totally free to come in/through/under and are a real pest. There were 7 baby rabbits on the lawn the other day - and there's a saying that for every one you can see, there's another one out there too.

Sorry to be the bearer of less-than-good news!

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:58 pm

Yes, I fear HyperCharlieFarley is absolutely right - unless you have a nearby stock of Lion Dung - which I gather keeps most things away! Also, with foxes, they say that if you 'pee' in the area it keeps them away. Might be worth a try with rabbits too?

It is so disheartening when your veggies get eaten! My friend (who doesn't have to think too hard before getting out her chequebook) made raised beds and a huge fruit cage over the whole lot - dug into the ground, as HCF recommends. She had lovely veg. We get Muntjack here as well - although in my garden we have very high thick hedges that they can't get through.

Good luck!

HH

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:36 pm

You could get a hunting cat. Mine does bring rabbits as a present :D I wonder if those sonic devices mentioned on another thread would work?

Our problem is wild boars - although the garden is walled if anyone leaves the gate open at night and they get in that's your whole crop gone. It only happened once!! They come down from the hill above to the stream at the bottom of the village to drink - you can hear them trotting along the path and snuffling.

Postby hypercharleyfarley » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Hello again - Joan's right about cats. I used to have two semi-feral cats which were the perfect solution to keeping the rabbits out of the front part of the garden & driveway - the rest is fenced off & dog/fox/badger proof. My cats came from a rescue place - they were about 6 years old when I got them - and the rescue people were really glad to find homes for them as apparently most people want an indoor cat these days. The cats lived in the shed/garage and - because of my two dogs, I suppose - never ventured into the rear garden which is probably why the rabbits have always been such a problem there. Now that both cats are dead, the front garden is another rabbit warren too ....................

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:05 am

Just had another thought - S-I-L has a pet ferret and a very big vegetable garden in the country - she does not have any problems with bunnies, though being her she would probably grow lettuces specially for them. I know she has an almost tame fox that she feeds.

Postby Limaoemportuguese » Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Thought I did this yesterday, but hey ho will try again.
Thank you so much for your replies, I have tried the chilli flakes, and yes it worked last night, so must go to the shops and buy some more.

I have asked before and I am probably being thick here, but how do I put smilies on my messages?

smile smile and thanks

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Smilies: when you post, they appear on the right hand side of the box you type into. Click on the one you want, and it puts the correct code into your post.

Postby Limaoemportuguese » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Thought I had tried that but will try again :crossed :clap :D

Postby Limaoemportuguese » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:09 pm

It worked, thanks :clap :clap :clap :D :) ;) :lol:

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board