Register

Don't panic!!!

Just testing

Don't panic!!!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 28, 2012 2:14 pm

Do you remember the poster that used to be around and about in the UK especially when I was younger?

It was a rather scary one warning of a terrible pest that, if you came across it, you were to place it in a matchbox and take it to the police station. I think a reward was offered ? Could make a fortune if it still applies as it is one of these annual visitors to our potato patch here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N ... 9889868600.

First time we discovered one we were horrified and ran to ask what to do. Our local gardening/farmer friends nearly died laughing. Just go an get a spray they advised. Then one rather more into organic production advised - dust it with ordinary flour. They eat it and explode. And they do!!!

Do you have any natural ways of dealing with pests - like planting French marigolds amongst the tomato plants ?

Re: Don't panic!!!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 28, 2012 3:14 pm

I remember those little devils - they were allegedly going to wreak such havoc we were about to have a second potato famine!

My attempts at gettign rid of pests have been mixed, though sopay water does deal well with light aphid infestations and red spider mite

My biggest pest is the clothes moth, and I have found the only answer is the vacuum storage bag.

And my top tip is, if bringing spices from overseas trips, deep freeze for a couple of weeks to kill off the weevils

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Afternoon Sue
Soapy water - absolutely.

Clothes moths - vacuum bags yes but also lavender oil.

My biggest problem is the flour moth things. Horrible beasties only solution - vigilance and air-tight containers.

Postby Global_Worming » Mon May 28, 2012 5:50 pm

JB we dont have endemic rabies over here either and the colorado beetle falls in the same camp IMO. I try to use as few chemicals as possible in my garden.
http://resistance.potatobeetle.org/

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue May 29, 2012 3:03 pm

We have lots of frogs, hedghogs and birds, so don't very often get too many pests. However, I did find some Lilly beetles the other day - I put them in a jar - tipped them out on the stone step and trod on them. Sorry little creatures - but I love my lillies!

HH

Postby jeral » Tue May 29, 2012 3:25 pm

As mentioned, a weak dilution of washing up liquid will literally wash off any wash-offable bugs. It doesn't work on the dreaded red spider mites which hide under the leaves of some things - any tips for those?

For some strong stemmed plants on which insects crawl up, then either Vaseline (petroleum jelly) blathered on the stem near the base, or cut a plastic cup so to fit it upturned near the base of the stem so that things can't crawl up beyond it.

@ Joanbunting: I have a lovely vision of you out in the garden in a forensic white jumpsuit and helmet to avoid contamination from exploding beetles... 8-)

Postby Joanbunting » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Happy to report that current crop of beetles have (presumably) expoded. M had planted French marigolds amongst the tomato and aubergine plants.

I regret to say that the soapy water treatment has not dealt with the aphids on the oleanders so thinking they may have to be zapped.

Postby jeral » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:15 pm

I could be wrong about soap washing beetles off, though it probably depends on what sort of beetle. This link says for aphids that horticultural soap effectively glues and suffocates them: http://ladybirdplantcare.co.uk/aphid.html If that's what it does, you could try spray starch. I use that indoors if a dreaded mosquito gets in, since starch doesn't smell or stain and isn't chemical; mozzies sense any approach so much stealth needed whereas aphids would be fish in a barrel. Your flour mixed to a paste and brushed on could work as well. Trial and error?

PS I think leaves breathe through the underside, so wouldn't be a good plan to gum that up, just top surface and wash/wipe residue off.

Postby hungryhousewife » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:57 pm

If I get an infestation of greenfly that the local birds can't deal with, I just put on my gardening gloves and squish the little critters! Quite satisfying actually!!

HH

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 am

Morning all

Well yesterday's downpour - not half as spectacular as London's - has drowned the beetles and washed the aphids off the oleanders but not the roses. I bought an organic aphid spray the other day - so the little beasties have been warned! Now all we have to worry about is the weeds and the rate of growth of the vine and the wisteria - you can almost see it growing - it grabbed one of the balcony chairs the other day.

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board