Register

growing salad leaves

Just testing

growing salad leaves

Postby juliana50 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:02 pm

Hello
What do you think of trying to grow salad leaves in big polystyrene box trays?
My friend has several, but not much actual growing space. I can't see why this wouldn't work
as long as she makes some drainage holes, but thought I'd consult for advice on here.
Many thanks for all replies.

Re: growing salad leaves

Postby Joanbunting » Fri May 25, 2012 4:08 pm

I grow salad leaves - roquette etc in terracotta troughs in my tiny courtyard garden among the herbs. They are doing really well! Apart from my hatred of polystyrene, I don't see why not .

Postby juliana50 » Fri May 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Thankyou for replying Joan. Would you like to tell me about your hatred of polystyrene?

I know it is the least attractive thing going, but I like the idea of recycling where possible.
Always happy to learn though :)

Postby Happy Violas » Fri May 25, 2012 10:55 pm

You can grow salad leaves in any shallow container ... it's just that terracotta looks nicer than polystyrene. :thumbsup

Postby Tatihou » Fri May 25, 2012 11:09 pm

Hello Juliana - I've used polystyrene trays - quite deep ones. I get them from the fishmonger's stall at the local market. The smell soon goes! I think they're very useful and effective and free. What's not to like. They're reasonably hard-wearing too. They need a few more drainage holes though - the corner ones don't seem to be sufficient.

I grow salad leaves, pea-shoots, herbs (basil, dill, coriander) and they seem very happy.

The only downside of them is that the cats think they make perfect beds - I have to make sure they can't get into the polytunnel or I end up with very well-pressed plants.

Postby juliana50 » Sat May 26, 2012 1:05 am

Many thanks Tatihou and Happy Violas - just what I wanted to hear! Thankyou :)

Postby Joanbunting » Sat May 26, 2012 11:57 am

juliana50 wrote:Thankyou for replying Joan. Would you like to tell me about your hatred of polystyrene?

I know it is the least attractive thing going, but I like the idea of recycling where possible.
Always happy to learn though :)

Hi juliana.

Wasn't trying to sound snobbish - and I am greatly in favour of recycling. Any polystyrene we get is broken up by M and put into plastic bags to act as a winter duvet around the water meter. As I said my garden is tiny and pots look nicer!

Morning Tatihou.

If I had a polytunnel then I might well use them except that I cant stand the noise that the stuff makes when you touch it - same effect as running your nails down the blackboard :evil:

Postby juliana50 » Sat May 26, 2012 2:03 pm

Joan, I promise you, I really did not mean to imply any such thing.

I agree pots and troughs are prettier.
I am always grateful for all the helpful ideas
and encouragement I get from reading these discussions 8-)

Postby Joanbunting » Sat May 26, 2012 2:16 pm

Thanks for that but that is how I think I seemed to be coming over on re-reading :cry:

I don't know if it would help your friend but if she had a balcony or even railings you can get wire holders, to hold containers, that hook onto the rails. My parents used to grow fresh herbs and cut-and-come-again lettuce in these. I am wondering about getting a sort of ladder thing so I can put troughs above troughs and keep more "floor" space. I shall look round junk markets and car-boots for inspiration.

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue May 29, 2012 3:08 pm

Hi Juliana - I think polystyrene boxes - recycled as plant containers is a terrific idea! I agree they are not the most beautiful - but terracotta, which I love, suffers during the winter - so do the plants planted in it as they get thermal shock, whereas the insulating and less rigid qualities of polystyrene should be good for plants. I suppose you could paint them with a mixture of PVA and the local mud - whatever colour yours is - should look at home then!

HH

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board