Register

Hanging Baskets

Just testing

Re: Hanging Baskets

Postby Puss-in-boots » Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Thing is jeral when i first did them and they started to grow i kept saying, that one looks bare, that one looks ok and that one looks great, went away for a week, neighbour watered them for us and when we came back as we had had glorious sunshine they looked fabulous. Then we had that awful weather which took its toll but now they are starting to grow back and looking quite full i have to admit so as i say i will take some more pictures as soon as i can to update and thanks for the nice comments.

Addmittedely when we did some last year they just about came to nothing so there is hope... :crossed

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:10 am

Puss - your hanging baskets look absolutely lovely! How satisfying!

Hyper Charlie - do you have any photos of your bit pots? They sound absolutely terrific!

HH

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:31 pm

Puss

They look lovely - I am envious of your baskets - true hanging baskets indeed. I use those plant food sticks in my smaller pots because other wise I forget!! I have some troughs hanging on the balcony rails that are doing well white surfinas only.!

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks for those replies HH and joan, i was going to ask the same of HCF if he had any pictures too and what about some from you joan with the ones you have on your balcony?

Postby hypercharleyfarley » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Hello! sorry I haven't any photos of the Corfu pots - it's ages since I used them in the garden. They've been sitting in the garage/shed for years now, but I thought that this year I might bring them out. If I do - and if/when the plants get established - I'll try to remember to take a photo or two. I'm often away quite a bit during the summer months, so watering pots of plants is always a problem, which is one of the reasons they've not been used.

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:35 pm

I look forward to it!
Lets hope we get some summer soon!!

HH

Postby Mamta » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:29 am

Baskets are looking beautiful!
I haven't read the whole thread (will read it at some point), so someone might have said this already; I have started putting a plastic tray, the sort you buy mushrooms/tomatoes in, at the base of the basket. I fill it with compost to which some water retention granules have been added. It seems to make them hold water better. Not sure if anyone else has tried something similar?
I sometimes cheat and get a collection of hanging basket plants. LIDL and ALDI do some nice one earlier in the year.

Postby Global_Worming » Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:47 am

our suntrap, its gets the sun from 11.00 till 18.45, yesterday it hit 31c.

Postby Mamta » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:45 am

Very nice!

Postby Joanbunting » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:03 pm

Sorry for the delay with the pictures - yours look lovely G_W. The surfina's are past their best because of the intense heat - but pretty anyway. Only 2 plants in there by the way.

The basket is in the garden below. I plant mostly white flowers because when we sit out there in the evening they glow!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/62387678@N ... 889868600/

PS ignore the date on the photos I haven't managed to set the camera properly!!

Postby Global_Worming » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:01 am

Thank you M and JB they are my wife's work.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 20, 2013 1:59 pm

It is that time of year again.

After all the rain we finally got out into the garden to finish planting the pots and baskets.

This year it has been taken out of my hands because two dinner guests, at different times, brought me palest pink geraniums and a hanging basket with pale pink verbena. I have gone for pale pinks, silver and white. with some richer fuschia shades added for fun.

On the other hand I have planted trad bright red geraniums in DD's wall pots - round the corner.

Will take pictures once all are properly established.

What are you doing?

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 27, 2013 1:46 pm

Bit of a garden style malfunction at the weekend.

I did a curry evening and one of the guests who hasn't been around for several weeks proudly produced, as a gift, a hanging basket containing a huge New Guinea Busy Lizzie - red!

I really don't know what to do with it - only place to hang it is in our tiny garden. It would look good in DD's but if the giver happened to pop round, as she does, how would I explain it being next-door??

Any thoughts?

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:04 pm

I wonder if it would work to put harmless blue food colour into the soil to see if the busy lizzie would go purpley which would work with pale pinks. Same as putting red ink in a vase of daffodils as a kid. Probably a better plan than putting in chlorine bleach to make them pink :mrgreen:

Offset with a stronger colour, e.g. purple summer-flowering pansies, or what about hanging one or more "twizzles" to dangle from the hanging point - brilliant for distracting attention! Bird Scarer Rods: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Procter-Pest-St ... B000YPVM0I

Edit PS: These seem to twizzle like perpetual motion with minimal wind.

Postby Mamta » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:45 pm

If you remove the chain and rest the basket on a pretty plant pot, you could put it in one of your window sills or even on a table inside. Perhaps it will work!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:55 pm

Hi All, sorry haven't been over here for a while - how remiss.

Mamta - window ledges don't happen in France really and the only ones we do sort of have are on the third floor or the North side where I have some beautiful terra cotta troughs. Soooooo I tried Jeral's suggestion and tipped in a whack of blue food colour and it sort of worked - certainlly calmed down the red. Thanks for that.

Postby Puss-in-boots » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:23 pm

Oh my word! I went to post the reply then was logged out! :evil: Ah well.... :lol:

Do you remember last years attempt at doing the hanging baskets? I was just about to throw out this years, especially the cone one, when after this winter, found some new shoots, so after feeding/watering it it came into its own and it has come back with a vengeance. The only one missing is the little white flowers but the rest...well...just a couple of pics...

They are looking a little pathetic now as they need watering but will do it at sun down. :D

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Puss, they are lovely. I adore those wicker containers - I used to have several but they rotted.

I am having to water my baskets and troughs twice a day at the moment even with water gel therein!

Postby Mamta » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Mine need watering every day, sometimes twice these days. that is when I have added moisture retaining granules and put a small tub of margarine (to hold water) at the bottom!! PS-Full picture opens only when you click on it, not sure why.
2013-Petunias in a hanging basket.jpg
2013-Petunias in a hanging basket.jpg (631.44 KiB) Viewed 8663 times

2013-Petunias in a hanging bag.jpg
2013-Petunias in a hanging bag.jpg (536.86 KiB) Viewed 8663 times

Previous

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board