Register

Apple trees

Just testing
Site Admin

Apple trees

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 03, 2013 1:36 pm

Last year my apple tree, which in previous years has been so overloaded with fruit that branches broke off under their own weight, bore only a tiny handful of fruit, not even in double figures.

I seem to remember someone suggesting it may have been a lack of either birds or bees, can't remember which.

This year, the pear tree has only just flowered (in bloom now), and the apple tree had not flowered at all, so I assumed another lean year. However I have just noticed that it is in the process of blooming, but the flower buds appear to be red, I don't remember it flowering red, and I certainly don't remember it flowering in May, I thought it was much earlier.

Not really much of a gardener, what is the normal progress for an apple tree?

Re: Apple trees

Postby Suelle » Fri May 03, 2013 5:30 pm

My apple trees are still in bud - they are at least a month late this year, which I've put down to March being so cold.

However, in the last two years, when they flowered in April they were hit by either high winds or late frosts, and didn't crop very well, so I'm hoping the later flowers give a better result in the end.

The buds look red, but the flowers themselves are very pale pink.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Re: Apple trees

Postby hungryhousewife » Sun May 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi Sakks - last year was a terrible year for everything, including fruiting trees. If you remember we had a very hot dry March so all the trees came into blossom early - but before the bees could get out and pollinate we were hit by exceedingly cold, wet weather - which washed away all the blossom, meaning that very little fruit set.

Pears usually flower early - and although we are having a very late spring this year, they are still first to flower in my garden. I expect the apple will blossom soon - and - :crossed :crossed if this nice weather continues I expect the bees will be buzzing about in the usual fashion to do their thing. I've seen quite a few bumble bees, but not many honey bees yet -

Let's hope this year will be better than last!! :wino

HH

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board