Register

Vermiculite planting medium, help pls

Just testing

Vermiculite planting medium, help pls

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:38 pm

For indoor plants, seeds and cuttings, does anyone know about vermiculite or grades of it or whatever please?

Also whether it's good to add to bought potting compost for drainage to avoid over watering etc?

In winter, central heating and lack of light seem to be my plants' enemies so wondering if vermiculite might help stabilise at least the moisture content.

So far, the more I read the less I know so any advice much appreciated :) Ta.

Re: Vermiculite planting medium, help pls

Postby scullion » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:01 pm

I've only used it as an insulator (when making glass beads) and for sowing seeds in - when they're pricked of quite quickly. As there's no nutrient in it it needs to be watered in regularly if you're thinking of using it on its own, hydroponically - bit like growing orchids in rockwool.
I think it would be better to see if you can find a more accommodating room to put your houseplants and get some others that will put up with the conditions where the others had been.
Not much of a help, sorry

Re: Vermiculite planting medium, help pls

Postby jeral » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:16 am

Thank you scullion. I was clutching at straws really in case I was missing something that optimistically could turn sow's ear conditions into a silk purse imitation. <- I absolutely refuse to buy a silk potted plant by the way ;)

Return to Gardener's World Rescue Board