Register

Completely deleting a post.

The place to make suggestions about the Board

Completely deleting a post.

Postby Dena » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:52 am

Good morning Sakkarin, I seem to be managing to post something twice, without even trying. Is there any way I can get rid of one of the duplicated posts please.

thank you.

Re: Completely deleting a post.

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Not Sakkarin of course. The only way I know of on a similar bulletin forum as a user is that if a post appears twice, then you cannot eradicate the second post, but you can edit the post by deleting the content and replace it with two fullstops (as minimum content in a post is required by the software).

The alternative is to ask the Host (Sakkarin) if you really think it's worthwhile given you can simply delete the words anyway. Or, instead of two fullstops, can just replace words with "Duplic posted in error" (or some such). I don't know why sometimes posts don't appear or appear twice but who cares? You can see what's arrived so no problemo adjusting it. It seemingly happens on lots of forums so no-one is castigated if their post appears twice in any case.

HTH

Postby Tatihou » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:56 pm

I think, providing no subsequent posts have been made, we can delete a post. I shall experiment with this one.

Edited to add: Yes... if you submit a post, as you know you can go back and edit it. Adjacent to the blue EDIT button is a blue X button. That is your delete button.

I don't know whether there is a specific period of time during which we can edit or delete - on some boards that is the case... 10 or 20 or 30 minutes or something which can be set by the board administrator.

Postby Tatihou » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:59 pm

Test post.

Right - once a subsequent post has been made, the option to delete the post (via the X button) is removed. So I no longer have the option to delete the post above this one though I can still edit it. But I can still delete this one and probably, if I delete this post, I can go back to the post above and delete that. :ugeek:

Confused yet..? :mrgreen:

ETA: yes - the assumption above in purple is correct.

Postby Gillthepainter » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:05 pm

I've spotted a couple of your duplicate posts Dena, and deleted them for you.

You do have quite a while to edit posts, I think Sakkarin extended it to 2 days? but I can't quite remember. And can removed content and enter something brief in it's stead.

Otherwise, just fire off a pm to me if I'm around.

Return to Board Issues