Register

Google (bot)

The place to make suggestions about the Board

Google (bot)

Postby Dena » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:56 am

Often when I check to see who is on line Sakkarin, I see that google bot (can't check spelling as not on line any more) is there.

Who is (s)he please?

Re: Google (bot)

Postby Dena » Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:50 pm

Now bing (bot) is on line :?: :?: :?:

Postby jeral » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:46 pm

Dena, Bots are what they call spiders which crawl around websites to see what they can find. They are not people but are programmes (written by people) usually checking for keywords or other information that'd be used in a similar way to that in which any market research would be used. They are not usually disruptive to a forum, but they're pretty much across all websites collecting data on how/when sites are accessed.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:27 pm

The Bing and Google bots are actually really useful, because their presence means that we are being included in their search engines, so people will find us if they use Bing or Google, and if they search regularly, it will even bring individual threads into the search engines, for instance if there is a current thread on say Szechwan food, it will hopefully appear high up in the Google pages to anyone searching for "Szechwan Food".

EDIT: Really good example: if you put "comfort food again" into your Google search, the very top entry is our thread by Onemorecheekyone on Comfort Food!

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:07 pm

I used to wonder what Google and Bing bots were and I used to think it was Sakk-arin in disguise :lol: until OH corrected me.

Return to Board Issues