Register

What would you do?

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

What would you do?

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:53 pm

Afternoon all.

I am rather upset. A couple of weeks ago I sent an Amazon gift card (posted by them) to my step grandaughter for her 11th birthday.

Unfortunately I was not paying attention and clicked on the address of their previous apartment - in the same block.

When my son told me she had not received the card - though had got the little parcel I sent her - I contacted Amazon who said that the voucher was redeemed the same day.

I know it is my mistake but, the post person did not notice the name and the person who redeemed the voucher knew it was not for them so they were dishonest.

I haven't told the family because they do know this person and Amazon are also refusing to take action. I am thinking I might write a letter to the person and let them know that I know they have been dishonest and suggest they refund the money. Or should I just put it down to experience and send another voucher by email?

i am intereted to know what you would do.

Re: What would you do?

Postby Tatihou » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:39 pm

Weeeeeeeeeell...

You can't prove that it wasn't someone in the / a post office who nicked the voucher and if Amazon won't cooperate by telling you who redeemed it... or am I misunderstanding and Amazon have confirmed it is this person who has redeemed it? :?

Otherwise, highly irritating but no proof of what happened.

Of course, nothing to stop you dropping a line / phoning the probable recipient and asking him / her to return the voucher to you when it finally arrives. :twisted:

And if this person is ever in a position of trust where your family is concerned, I would make your family aware of the possibility of what happened.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Amazon have told me that the voucher was redeemed by someone living in another apartment.

I am thinking of sending a letter, as you suggested, to them and telling them I know what they have done and perhaps they may wish to give the money back.

Postby crempog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:49 am

I would write to the 'wrong' address, explain how the muddle arose and give them the correct address and ask them to deliver the gift voucher there. They then know you know, but you haven't accused them of anything.

If they are honourable they will replace the gift voucher. Tell them the real recipient was disappointed not to receive it on the correct date, but she's looking forward to it now as she already knows what she wants to spend it on!

Might put him on a guilt trip!

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:16 pm

crempog wrote:I would write to the 'wrong' address, explain how the muddle arose and give them the correct address and ask them to deliver the gift voucher there. They then know you know, but you haven't accused them of anything.

If they are honourable they will replace the gift voucher. Tell them the real recipient was disappointed not to receive it on the correct date, but she's looking forward to it now as she already knows what she wants to spend it on!

Might put him on a guilt trip!

Ah but is it a him? I have a letter drafted stating clearly that although I am prepared to accept that it was my mistake they were less than honest to redeem the voucher. I am assuming that they were not celebrating their 11th birthday nor that they are a little girl with a rather unusual name. I have also told them that Amazon knows too so I suggest they either refund the money in cash - through the letterbox, or via Amazon.

Postby crempog » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:04 pm

Be very, very careful about writing to anybody that you know they have been dishonest. It could backfire so easily on you. You can of course imply there has been an unfortunate error and suggest how it can be put right. But an outright accusation - No!

If the person does nothing about it, there is nothing you can do. But definitely get your addresses on Amazon up to date. In your letter you can also mention that you have taken up the matter with Amazon. You do not have to say they can do nothing.

I obviously have no idea if it was a him or her. Him = him or her. The voucher could have gone to any of the flats by mistake.

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:52 pm

I also think you can only stick to the facts you know, or have been told by Amazon, or you can actually prove.

Did Amazon say they had received a signature on receipt of delivery so it can hopefully be shown that it was in fact delivered to an occupant of the apartment in question? Amazon have a duty of care. In other words, can they confirm/show proof that it was actually delivered to the apartment per your instructions?

Also, how do they know it was redeemed by a member of that household; I'm thinking they could only prove that the voucher had been redeemed by "someone". If they can actually confirm a name of the "redeemer" it would help (albeit a bogus one could perhaps have been given unless there's some sort of identity security at point of presentation).

If a member of the apartment in question has redeemed the voucher, it's unlikely they'll admit it as that would be tantamount to admitting theft (or is it fraudulence [edit: I'd go with fraud].

Has no-one from the "proper" apartment been to have a quiet word? If yes and they've already denied any knowledge, it's hard to see how a letter from you will do anything except perhaps get you in trouble unless your letter is very carefully worded and sticks purely to known/verifiable facts.

I'd see if I could get more data from Amazon, including if possible which goods the voucher was redeemed for and if possible any serial numbers if appropriate e.g. on electrical goods. It's possible they might tell you that given you have clearly disputed already that the voucher was redeemed by an incorrect recipient.

Good luck.

I assume the amount in question is worth losing sleep and possibly causing bad feeling over, yes?

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:28 pm

Hi again Jeral

It was merely a card that would have been put through the leterbox.

My son does not know yet. I just hoped I could sort it myself. I did phone another person I know who used to live in the same apartments and he confirmed that there is only one occupant. Amazon has confirmed that the voucher was redeemed by someone at that address but say they are unable to confirm the name. They implied though did not confirm that the redemption was for a download - ie a game or Kindle so no proof again.

It was not a great deal of money and no, I am not losing sleep but I am concerned about the whole principle. Amazon are getting back to me later. Thanks for your thoughts though!

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:53 pm

I think crempog is right

You cannot contact the other flat and say you know they have cheated, just in case someone else has seen an opportunity to intercept or some other scenario (it must be possible in some way) - the most you can do (if no joy from Amazon) is write to the apartment saying something like you believe you have sent the voucher to them in error, and if they have it, could they pass it on?

But if that doesn't get a reaction, then there is very little you can do

How big an apartment block?

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Well, a download can be tracked easily back to an IP number, though whether Amazon would want to contact the downloader to get that info, plus give it to you, is another matter. Also is whether that would be using a sledge hammer to crack a walnut.

The principle seems to be that you should have addressed it correctly, lol. Some people will nick anything that isn't nailed down but in this case it was actually given to them so not nicked, purportedly, still no evidence of that.

@ Stokey Sue: Clearly the voucher can't be passed on if it's already been redeemed :?

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Hi all

I have just posted the letter, very carefully worded and saying that it may have been a mistake, in which case I would urge them to return the money via Amazon and no-one will be any the wiser- except of course Amazon who already know of the transaction anyway.

I have not put my address on it and I only used the names that were on the card and therefore known to the person. I tried to be as polite and neutral as possible - M approved and says he didn't know I could be so measured and diplomatic!!! Praise indeed from him.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:02 pm

PS Sue

There are 8 appartments in total but made in an old Jersey manor House , not a modern block

You are of course quite right Jeral - it is my fault but then I hope I woudn'd be so dishonest as to redeem a gift voucher addressed to an 11 year old on her birthday! Last time I send gift voucher by post but kids like something to open on their birthday don't they?

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:41 pm

Well, the post office does me proud here, not. Lose things sent & receivable quite often. Does Amazon use their own carrier to the address location? Either way, I'd think it worth keeping a dialogue open with them, like telling them you've written and what else can they suggest? I can't see that they're under an obligation to do anything (even though they don't seem to be able to confirm that they did deliver the voucher correctly), but you never know as the chances are that the money won't be repaid, especially if the apartment resident wasn't the perpetrator and only Amazon can know that (or find that out) ...

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:45 pm

As far as I know/have been lead to believe by Amazon, it was simply posted.

Have to say though that Jersey Post is/are rubbish - spend too much time and money on producing fancy stamps and not enough on service.

Postby jeral » Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:49 pm

Incidentally, I do know what you mean about opening things. Same happened to me today when I made sure I posted a card in time for delivery about 5 miles away yesterday. Guess what? Not received :roll: Luckily, can pick up the phone. Transpires that several expected cards from family members didn't arrive either. I can afford to be cynical at my age - much more disappointing at 11 years old, no doubt about that.

I was going to ask if your postal service was better, but reading your latest post, I guess not.

Postby Joanbunting » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Jeral

I don't live in Jersey

Our postal service is usually good . We have a terrific postman who knows where to leave packages if we are out and who just opens the door and whistles if he has something to deliver, then leaves it on the table in the verandah - kept happy with the odd pastis (he arrives just before lunch) and generous tip at Christmas. The people in the PO are nice too but sometimes strange things happen and it is impossible to get to the bottom of it.

We once had a whole bunch of Christmas cards from various countries, all delivered on the same day..... in mid February :o :o

However I received a book from DD, ordered from Amazon France on Monday, today!

Our big problem is courier type deliveries - as I mentioned on another post - no numbers or house names on the houses and two hamlets of the same name in two adjoining communes.

Postby Joanbunting » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:53 pm

Just to update - Amazon says they are very willing to co-operate with Jersey police if the family and I wish. They added they treated such matters very seriously and there clearly was a dishonest transaction. I have replied that I would like to leave it for 14 days to see what the response to my letter is and then I will ask son and family.

Postby jeral » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:34 pm

Oh that's good as Amazon would probably give info to police that they couldn't (data privacy laws) give to you. As far as I know, fraud is a criminal offence (but can be civil too) so if it does transpire that fraud has taken place it could be in the police's hands as to whether they'd press charges. You could see if you would have any say in the matter if "the ball is set rolling", i.e. as to whether you have the option to press charges or not or it could be resolved another way, or if criminal would the police press charges anyway? Thinking possible bad feeling so it would be nice to know if it would be out of your hands, but luckily the decision to set the ball rolling seems to be in your hands if Amazon say "if you wish".

Return to Chatterbox Archive