Register

Aldi three bird roast

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Aldi three bird roast

Postby Puss-in-boots » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:03 pm

Sorry for the VERY late post but..

I don`t know if you remember, gill may do. I bought one for christmas (last) and it was delicious as i said. (Think it was on the beeb boards.) Well we kept half of it for when my boys and DIL came through for another christamas dinner and they weren`t overly impressed by it. The two times we have had it it has always been lovely but i suppose what i am trying to say is that it will be down to the individual.

After seeing something on the messageboards about christmas :o just recently i thought to myself i may just push the boat out and try and make one myself this year... :lol: Turdunken i think it is called.

I post this now as we took FIL out shopping yesterday and saw one in the shop and immediately thought about the one we had and how i hadn`t got back, better late than never i suppose. :D

Re: Aldi three bird roast

Postby AZCook » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:29 pm

Wotcha PIB - I certainly remember the turducken topics. Never tried one but they always get excellent reviews from everyone. One day .... :D

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 pm

I made one once - years ago. It wasn't nearly as difficult as you would imagine, and everyone loved it!
I will try and see if I can find which recipe I followed.

Whatever you do, I am sure your home-made version will always be better than anything pre-produced in a factory - no matter how good!
HH

Postby Puss-in-boots » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:21 pm

Hey AZ how great to "see" you. I have a recollection of the topic but was a long time ago. You must give it a try.

HH thankyou very much it would be lovely if you could find and post your recipe but only when you have time and if you can find it.

Puss.x

Postby hungryhousewife » Tue May 01, 2012 11:35 am

Hi Puss - I'm pretty sure it was Hugh Fearnley Wittingstall - but I don't have any of his books, so I must have borrowed it (as it was long before I had the internet!!)

I found this on-line which looks very similar -

http://www.secretsupperclub.com/en/reci ... bird-roast

I have an old 'Sainsburys Masterclass' cookbook which gives excellent instructions on deboning a bird, which really is the only fiddly bit - but I'm sure there are equally good instructions in many other books or on-line. I remember thinking it was much easier than I had thought it would be, and I was a much less experienced cook in those days!

HH

Postby Puss-in-boots » Tue May 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi HH you are a star i was thinking of cheating and getting crowns of meat... :oops: :o

I may have a go at HFW sometime before the festive period and see how it goes.

I will let you know if/when i do as i say thanks again.

Postby hungryhousewife » Wed May 02, 2012 12:25 am

I don't think getting crowns is cheating at all. I think its very sensible!
Have fun!! 8-)
Look forward to hearing how it goes!
HH

Postby Dena » Fri May 11, 2012 2:28 am

There are quite a few videos on how to debone a chicken on the web - here's one that might help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAekQ5fzfGM

Wish I could do it that quickly though.

I quite like the instructions on this too - not the recipes so much but the boning instructions for the three birds.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/dine ... index.html

Let us know how you get on Puss-in-boots :clap

Postby Global_Worming » Fri May 11, 2012 7:17 am

I have visited the Alpine in Sarasota, I used to skin the duck till we tried this method. I used home made raw chorizo for the sausage part of the stuffing then low and slow smoked the turducken for 8 hrs. :)

Postby Puss-in-boots » Fri May 11, 2012 7:56 pm

Thanks very much for the video clips Dena & GW plus the link to the Foodnetwork site also. I am going to try and de-bone a chicken on its own first with the spinach and mushroom stuffing and see how i get on. Looks a lot easier than it probably is though. It will probably be next week now as OH has just cut our chicken in half for today and tomorrow and we are having boneless shoulder of lamb for sunday but thanks again and i will let you know how i get on with it. :thumbsup

Return to Chatterbox Archive