Register

New printer scanner copier needed

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

New printer scanner copier needed

Postby jeral » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:10 pm

Does anyone have a Kodak, which they were advertising last year as being cheaper on ink usage? Or any other recommendations please for a simple domestic 3-in-one printer.

Ta

Re: New printer scanner copier needed

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:30 pm

I have a Kodak 3 in 1and I really like it

Rumour has it they are relatively easy to network, though I don't really know as someone else set mine up for me

Postby Suelle » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:08 pm

We have two Canons - an MX410 and a newer MG6250, which does double sided copying automatically.

They were easy to set up on a wireless network and seem pretty economical on ink.
The blog which does what it says on the tin:

http://mainlybaking.blogspot.co.uk/

Postby jeral » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks both for letting me know they're what's worth investigating further.

I have an HP C4100 which was fine until the scanner broke, thus no photocopying either, not long out of guarantee. Apparently not uncommon for it with hindsight, so am employing foresight this time :thumbsup

Postby Wokman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:09 pm

I use an Epson Stylus DX4050, I know it's an old machine but the refills I get only cost £1.50 each and the quality is brilliant.

Postby hungryhousewife » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:00 pm

Wokman wrote:Epson Stylus DX4050, I know it's an old machine

We've just got rid of a more recent Epson PX700W because the cost of the cartridges was horrendous.
We now have an HP Officejet Pro 8500A, which seems good after a year of use, not bad on the cartridges and we bought it from Staples with a 3 yr fully comp guarantee. Quite pleased so far, and prints nice photos with a nice colour balance too.

HH

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:06 pm

I have just bought a Brother MFC-J5910DW inkjet printer. I cannot believe how much bang you get for your buck, it will print A3 - both sides at once if you want (duplex), and the scanner is 1200dpi, which means you can print the scanned image around 6 times its actual size, and is wireless and faxable. I looked around beforehand to check what the ink costs are, and you can get a full set of replacement cartridges for around £12.

Cost? £99.99 from Rymans (although it has now gone up to £127).
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... UTF8&psc=1

Postby jeral » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:33 pm

Thanks for that Sakkarin. I haven't replaced my HP yet as it's only the scanner that's gone and with winter fuel bills it could be the summer sales by the time I get around to it...

I'm glad you're happy with your Brother - hopefully it's made to last and not just an almost give away as some are now whereby the profit is made on the ink.

A niggle with my HP is that if the colour cartridge runs out it won't print with just the black as it signals itself as being "out of ink". Is your Brother dependent on having ink in both (all?) cartridges? Ta.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:10 am

Hi Jeral.
Like Sue, I have indeed bought the Kodak.

The print quality is fantastic, and it only cost £50. Coupled with archival paper, I can print some images at home - such as my home made Christmas cards and my art coasters, without that nasty professional printer price tag that I used to have to worry about.

I still use pro-printers for my art prints of paintings though.

There is a downside. If the colour runs out it won't print.
And the colour quality suffers a lot when it is about half full or less. I can't do art pictures unless I use a brand new toner.

The product is buggy too. The wireless network disconnects for no reason maybe once every couple of months and is difficult to re-connect through my firewall and broadband - even though it's networked.
I've had to go into the settings before and reassign a new IP address before now.

Toners are £19 for medium size and £24 for large ones, and the large ones last me maybe 3/4 months.
Images are very greedy on toner, but it is an image printer that I wanted to buy. So don't be fooled by the cheapness and longevity that it professes.

Nevertheless I'm happy to buy new ones for the image quality I get. Fantastic.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:38 pm

What is "archival paper", Gill?

Jeral, only just got the Brother, so don't know about the running out of ink bit :-(

My old printer is a Brother too, but a cheapo B&W laser printer, which I am still using alongside the new printer, it's always worked fine.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:42 pm

Sakkarin wrote:What is "archival paper", Gill?

Low acid content paper that lasts well without crumbling or "foxing"

We use it at work

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:42 am

Hi Sakkarin.

Yellowing and becoming brittle is a problem if paper isn't archival/ neutral ph.

Archival paper is durable and "durabrite", keeps the integrity of the colour and printing.
What you are looking for is acid-free paper.

It comes in different forms. But for art or photographic quality work - specifically for ink jets, I use Hahnemuele.
It's actually rather beautiful in its own right and the Monet Canvas paper looks and feels like linen, but goes through the printer.

Your printing colours are vibrant, and are guaranteed to last 75 years+ (it works out at about £1 a sheet).
Which is muy importanto if you're selling images.

Archival paper is used in legal circles too, so that documents don't fade or degrade.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:28 am

Gillthepainter wrote:Archival paper is used in legal circles too, so that documents don't fade or degrade

We have to keep all records of clinical trials for over 30 years and use archival standard materials

One thing to note if you are putting away seldom used documents at home (marriage or birth certificates etc.) do NOT file them in those flexible plastic wallets - over a 10 year period they can turn to a sticky substance and you can't detach the paper

I use plastic wallets for routine filing, but not for precious things to keep

Return to Chatterbox Archive