Register

Richard III

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Richard III

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:29 pm

M and I have just laughed ourselves silly over some of the comments posted on the BBC in reply to the authentication of the skeleton discovery. Well worth a look if you have time.

So far by far the best is "Why was he buried under a car park/"

And more flippantly

"Was he in a disabled bay?"

I love historical mysteries and finds and this has been a real thriller with great archeology, history and, especially science.

Re: Richard III

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:22 pm

I just loved the way they traced his sister's descendants - apparently Michael Ibsen didn't even know he was related until he was asked for a DNA sample

I think I've heard most of the jokes on HIGNFY and the Now show

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:39 pm

Hi Sue

M was extremely impressed by the family tracing especially as the DNA test we gave him for Christmas (Britains DNA) has come up with some really unexpected results. The male line is one of the rarest so far tested.

Postby jaybird » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:38 pm

Well I enjoyed the programme, although I watched a recording after I had already heard on the news that the remains had been authenticated as being Richard III's. The lady on the team (sorry can't remember her name) seemed to be very emotionally involved I thought, understandably since they'd spent so long trying to prove that it was Richard III. However, when she saw the reconstructed face of the deceased king she gushed away like he was a pop idol and she was starstruck - 'Oh he's so handsome!' etc. At one point it looked as if she might even kiss him! It was an interesting programme though - I didn't realise just how deformed he was, his spine was really twisted, he must have been in some pain with it I think. Incredible how they reached the ultimate conclusion as well using modern technology.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:48 pm

I found that lady utterly creepy, nothing to do with her alleged divination of the burial site, but her general evangelical/obsessional behaviour. And lots of long pauses on her face trying to capture her "otherworldliness".

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:08 pm

I thought the expression on the presenter's face summed it up a few times - like someone babysitting a slightly embarassing kid sister and being careful to be the grown up one and not trigger a fuss

"There, there, there"

Postby Seatallan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:47 pm

Yes, she was priceless wasn't she? OH and I were loving it. She must have been a gift to the producers of the show.

What I would like to have known more about is the research which lead the team of archeologists to identify where to dig. I suppose someone will publish a book about the whole thing soon and I shall look forward to reading it.
Food, felines and fells (in no particular order)

Postby Seatallan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:50 pm

Yes, she was priceless wasn't she? OH and I were torn between loving it and wanting to slap her. She must have been an absolute gift to the producers.

What I would have liked to have heard more about was the research which lead the team of archeologists to decide where to dig. I suppose someone will publish a book about it all at some stage. I hope so.

Postby Seatallan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:57 pm

...And have realised that I have posted twice...

Sorry... :stfu

Return to Chatterbox Archive