Register

Are blue Xmas led lights the new black?

Christmas, Easter, Birthday, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan chat.

Are blue Xmas led lights the new black?

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:32 pm

A local shop seems to have a lot of blue ones, and some white but no multicoloured that I noticed. Is blue "a trend" or does no-one one want them for some reason, or perhaps white is too harsh if not "lampshaded" on each bulb. Any thoughts?

Need another set of lights for my indoor tree (which already has multi lights but not enough) and quite frankly anything will do - just wondering if there's something special about blue - maybe that colour carries the light better or something?

I'm thinking the static ones (not keen on chaser lights if that makes any difference).

Ta

Re: Are blue Xmas led lights the new black?

Postby MrsWW » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:15 pm

Don't know about the reasoning/properties of the different colours but I've had white lights for my trees for years . . . and blue chaser lights for window sills and shelves.

Postby jeral » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:43 pm

Strangely, I was thinking of chaser lights for elsewhere than the tree as too distracting like flashing ones are (for me). Can chaser ones be switched to static? The chaser ones are £40 rather than a few quid so a big difference if they're a mistake (for me). Ta. I appreciate it Mrs WW.

Postby MrsWW » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:48 pm

The lights on my trees are static.

The blue chaser ones have various settings so you can pick the "chase effect" you want. I like the gently rolling one rather than the fast and furious ones so tend to leave them on that setting - you can also have them on static. They're not cheap but each of my sets have been picked up in the after Christmas sales when they generally have had about 2/3 of the price taken off them.

Postby jeral » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:06 am

Many thanks for quick and informative reply. I now have a plan of action :thumbsup

Postby MrsWW » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:10 am

Glad I could help :chrissytree1

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:41 pm

I have some new LED lights that are slightly the orange end of white - static, and very pretty (meant to look like a chaim of little stars) - these came form Lidl a couple of weeks back

I can't bear flashing/chasing lights indoors - it's like sitting next to someone who is fidgetting IMO!

Postby Joanbunting » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:32 pm

A couple of years ago I bought two strings of white led lights which have sort of necklaces of mini beads and baubles. These go on the tree in the verandah along with my oldest glass ornaments - 5 still remaining from my very first Christmas.

I too hate flashing/chaser lights indoors but I love the lights on the trees in the square in the village. They appear to drop like rain. Again white, I have rarely seen coloured lights around these parts.

Postby jeral » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:43 pm

Thanks Stokey Sue. I went to Lidl's on the offchance (and for some other things) but probably left it too late for LED lights at our branch. No worries as got other goodies whilst there.

@ Joanbunting: Our high street tree has only small blue led lights - not Christmassy at all - mind you the council says it's too much of a pain having to replace "proper" bulbs on a very limited budget (i.e allocation from our council tax money).

I saw some bright red ones elsewhere today, but at the higher end of the price bracket. I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

Return to Chatterbox Archive