Register

Visiting The Doctor

Links to current threads on the old Food Board

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Renée » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:36 pm

Thank you for your very kind comments, Alexandria!

I have a virus at the moment ... headache, slight cough and feeling sleepy so I'll leave the lean pork shoulder slices until tomorrow or Tuesday. I was going to make a casserole with the cut up pork, browned lightly with shallots, add white wine and reduce and I'm not sure what else yet! It's not bad enough for flu.

Postby Renée » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:38 pm

I must apologise for my large photos, which I will reduce next time, so that you can read all the text without going over to the right.

Postby Alexandria » Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:43 am

@Renée,

Wow, do take care of that cold - virus or flu .. Sounds like you might have fever too .. Get to the Doctor tomorrow, Monday .. And get a prescription to knock that out ..

I would avoid eating any meat during this time .. Hot soups and lots of herbal infusions and honey .. Keep warm and sweat this out ..

I am a photography buff and love big photographs ..

So, for me, it was not big ..

I use alot of 300 d. p.i. high resolution magazine quality, 2.500 x 3.000 pix for our Newsletters which are now actually Mini Pds ..

So, get better as it is getting late ..

Nighty night and feel better .. :thumbsup
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Petronius » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Thanks Pampy.

And yes Renée I think it was the liquid from the tomatoes, next time I'll follow your advice.

Sorry to hear about your virus, I've had The Cough (better now) and OH has a really bad stuffed up cold. Lemon and honey works for me, so soothing as well as gentle food – hence the minestrone. I try to sweat out colds etc., OH can't bear to do that to herself.

Alexandria, the chances of anyone getting to see a doctor that quickly in the UK at the moment is highly unlikely. Current advice for my cough, 'ring back if you still have it in three weeks.' Nothing can be done.

Our northern granddaughter loses her voice every day, she managed to see a doctor, he said it was a virus, nothing to be done, it'll last six to eight weeks.

I don't find your photos too large.

Postby Renée » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Viruses are self-limiting, unless there are secondary infections and doctors don't want to see you if you have a virus. I haven't got a fever, so will just take it easy for a day or two.
Thanks for your concern!

Your poor granddaughter, Dennis. 6-8 weeks? :shock:

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Renée & Petronius,

Sorry to hear that your medical services do not see people with viruses / colds ..

My doctor at the National Health Clinic of Spain, sees me regardless of what I might have caught !

Coughs: One can purchase over the counter A powder solution Acetilcisteina - Cinfa - :clap :clap :clap 200 mg. ( NO dairy ! It causes phelm ) ..

Combine with a tablesp of water, stir and drink. Helps the nasal ( dry or wet ) and stops the coughing ..

Drink plenty of hot tea with honey and lots of soups .. Sweat it out !

It takes awhile .. I had a horrorific flu in November and I had prescription medicine as I had run a fever and I also had prescription powder solutions in tiny packets ..

I caught cold from my secretary !

Keep warm and feel better Renée ..

Have a lovely day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

A good cognac or brandy shall help too !!! :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Different practices in different countries

In the UK we are asked generally not to go to the doctor with coughs, colds, and minor viruses as what it will acheive is to make you feel worse for having travelled and possibly infect clinic staff and other patients.
There is no drug treatment for these diseases wherever you are. Of course people with special risks will individually be given different instructions, when I suffered from bronchitis I used to see my doctor as soon as I thought it might be useful and this was encouraged

Acetylcysteine and other strong mucolytics, are mainly used for cystic fibrosis and COPD in the UK and are not licensed or recommended for self-medication.

Incidentally, dairy doesn't cause mucus, it just makes it more obvious and often considerably more unpleasant, it's due to the calcium changing the structure of the mucus to make it thicker

I've been staying in a hotel in Brighton, so eating big English breakfasts and rather uninteresting dinners
Yesterday I felt tired so couldn't be bothered to cook much but had a very nice wild boar burger with lovely chips in the pub
Both hotel and pub visits were for backgammon tournaments, backgammon is clearly bad for the diet!

Postby Alexandria » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:53 pm

Tuesday 16th ..

Today, my staff and I went out for Japanese .. I had shared a Nigriri boat with the gals and had some lovely Sake and Japanese tea ..

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:04 pm

It would have been more helpful Re. your post if you had replied to Stokey Sue's educated comments.

To ignore posts are deemed as rude as a rule.

You appear to have a habit of it!

Should have let me know you were down here in Brighton Stokey.....! :wino

Postby Petronius » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Rude? :? Not in my book.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Allright - sub the word ignorant - because, if you see folks responding & you make a habit of not responding to direct Q/A when it doesn't suit as a matter of routine & continue with new posts, what would you call that.....................?!?!

Site Admin

Visiting The Doctor

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:41 pm

POSTS MOVED FROM "WHAT ARE YOU EATING THIS WEEK"

My view: whatever state the NHS is in, in the UK the overprescription of antibiotics and the wasting of doctors' time with common ailments that should be dealt with at home with over the counter medications are both causes for concern.

If you want to know more about self care, this site has most of the information you need, although it is aimed at informing doctors rather than the public.

http://www.selfcareforum.org/fact-sheets/

Re: Visiting The Doctor

Postby smitch » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:43 pm

Same with people getting prescriptions for things such as paracetamol and antihistamines that can easily be bought over the counter very cheaply.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 pm

I agree smitch, though someone did point out that if you need more than the tiny amount of some painkillers you are allowed to buy without a prescription it's more reasonable to get a pharmacy pack on prescription, it's not always about cost but about having several weeks supply in the house

Postby smitch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:13 pm

If it is something like paracetamol, a pharmacist can sell you a larger quantity than if you go to a supermarket, for example. I know there are still restrictions on how many can be sold per transaction. I understand it may be an inconvenience for some people and as someone who has suffered from chronic pain in the past, I keep a lot of painkillers in the house. Even so, for the majority of people a prescription for something that can be bought over the counter seems such a waste of NHS resources.

Return to Room 101