Register

BBC Radio 4: Our daily bread

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

BBC Radio 4: Our daily bread

Postby Breadandwine » Mon May 21, 2012 2:19 pm

First of five 15 minute programmes, on today at 1.45, and for the rest of the week.

The Real Bread Campaign has had some input - should be interesting!

Cheers, Paul
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Re: BBC Radio 4: Our daily bread

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Paul.

I heard it and it was good if a bit .... dense ie possibly too much information crammed into 15 minutes.

I'll put it on i-player to listen again

Postby Breadandwine » Tue May 22, 2012 1:09 am

Hi Joan

I've been back and listened again on iPlayer - it's a bit light-hearted, but worthy for all that.

I was fascinated - and repelled - by the 'Bread scientist' (not a baker - certainly didn't sound like one!) who was extolling the virtues of the 'Chorleywood method' and mass-produced bread.

He said without factory-made bread, Britain would need thousands more small bakeries!

Just like they have in the rest of Europe (he didn't go on to say!) He made it sound as if they were doing us a favour!

Cheers, Paul
Now that you've discovered that making your own bread is easier than you thought, what else is there that isn't so difficult when you actually have a go? Like making your own pasta without a machine, for instance!

http://nobreadisanisland.blogspot.com/

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 23, 2012 4:18 pm

My husband was talking about this last evening, and has sent me the links to listen again.

He was fascinated by the historical stories - such as the Egyptian deaths due to bread. I'll put my headphones on in a minute and see what it was all about.

Thanks for the reminder Paul.

Return to TV & Radio