Register

Restaurant Wars ....

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Restaurant Wars ....

Postby Alison Wright » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:49 pm

.... the Battle for Manchester.

New 3-part series starts tonight on BBC2 8:00-9pm.

"Michelin chefs Aiden Byrne & Simon Rogan open fine-dining restaurants down the road from each other in Manchester. Rogan's elaborate ten course tasting menu fails to get the response he'd hoped for"
http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio ... urant-wars
This should be good for a laugh!

Re: Restaurant Wars ....

Postby mark111757 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:11 pm

liking this series alot.....is there really a market for this type of posh nosh??

i thought it was in the 2nd part there was a dish, a starter maybe, an hommage of shepards pie that was (i thoguht i heard) 26 quid.....

sorry that aint gonna happen here......

i remember in the F word, gordon ramsay said that we want to feed them not stuff them,......portion sizes seemed really pathetic....not a great value for money.....

in my humble opinion, give me a good chippie anytime!!

Re: Restaurant Wars ....

Postby jeral » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:02 pm

The chefs are hoping there's a market for their posh nosh (which is never going to be comfort food) as of course are the owners/investors! There are a fair few monied folks in Manchester and nearby, e.g. close-by Cheshire, who'd pay those prices for status, because they can.

Whether they'll go back as "regulars" depends on the food, service, ambience etc (and what else is available where they normally dine). The ambience in chef Aiden's seems to be lacking, if I'm seeing the finished article, as it looks like 70 covers in an open canteen dining hall to me so presumably little privacy and lots of noise; if so, not my idea for fine dining, though hard to say yet...

The last episode I saw showed the kitchen & front of house making/serving covers for 70 hypothetical diners as a trial run for opening night, most of which food was intended for the bin apparently, tsk. I suppose they don't want word leaking out of the chef's concoctions beforehand.

I didn't like in the other restaurant, where chef Simon went berserk at a commis chef who had inadvertently served to "any old guest" a piece of fish especially selected to impress his arch rival. So, all diners are equal but some some are more equal than others eh? Good message to send out :roll:

See what the final ep brings...

Return to TV & Radio