Register

MasterChef 2014

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

MasterChef 2014

Postby Alison Wright » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:17 am

Starts Wed March 26th. BBC1 9:00-10pm.

"New series. 1/24. Six amateur chefs try to prove their worth to judges John Torode & Gregg Wallace."

Re: MasterChef 2014

Postby jeral » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:43 pm

So far so good :)

I see that the BBC is messing about with timings again, so for anyone recording the progs,

Today Fri 28th.........8.30-9pm

Next Wed...............8-9pm
Thur......................8-9pm
Fri.........................8.30-9pm

All BBC1

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Enjoying this so far . I thought the guy who brought in the instant mash was genius. Always nice to see past finalists too and it's a great testament to the programme how successful many of them have become.

Postby Gillthepainter » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:55 am

Yep, I far prefer masterchef with John Torode in it.
I have never understood why he doesn't do the professional version too.

The standard's pretty high & competent, now that they've cut out the "come dine with me" weakness of the early rounds.

Decisions seem quite tough so far, setting the tension right from the start.

And I do like Torode's section where he cooks the invention test in 1hr too.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:44 pm

This article made me laff - looking forward to slipping "strategically positioned puree skidmarks" into a conversation when I find the opportunity!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... rimm-fable

EDIT: By the way I've seen a couple of episodes, and I am ashamed to say that I've enjoyed them, after all the slagging-off I've given the programme in the past. Still grimace at watching them eating though (Toad and Pastie that is). Haven't got the stamina to watch all of them though, just when there's nowt else on or to do.

Postby jeral » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:43 pm

Ta -the article tickled me too :lol:

For some reason I feel almost obliged to watch Masterchef, as if it were a crime not to and someone from the BBC would come and tape my eyes open.

John always puts a bit of everything onto what becomes a seriously heaped fork to see how the flavours meld and I sometimes wonder if his jaw unhinges. Anyone remember aliens swallowing whole rodents in "V"?

Try as I might, the seasoned diner is still wallpaper or a stooge to me, but granted in a cheffy partnership format "There can be only one!" (Highlander quote.)

As it's on tonight, better tune in just in case detector vans catch you not watching it ;)

Postby prettykiwicrazy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:20 pm

I agree that I enjoy the new section where John cooks from the invention box. I think he's much more TV friendly than Michel Roux and would rather have him on the professional version too. Has anyone seen his Australia show ? I really liked it .

Postby jeral » Tue May 20, 2014 4:39 pm

As no-one's commented on the final and therefore winner, I will *smiles sweetly*

I reckoned it was between Jack and Ping as Luke, the inventive but "risky" one had been too inconsistent so really no true foundation.

On the other hand, it struck me that Jack unnecessarily played the wagu beef card, as if how could he lose with that? (On a par with us all shouting at the TV when chefs discard most of what they've bought(!) to serve only the nugget of perfection.)

Anyway, the vibrancy of Ping's flavours won the day :)

Vibrancy is perhaps something we forget - chefs always go on about adding lemon to "lift" things and suchlike, but perhaps that's for another thread.

Postby Dena » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Bit late I know but I enjoyed most of it. I hide from the detector vans jeral, so don't watch every episode, but thought Ping was delightful.

I'm with you Sakkarin and jeral with not enjoying the spectacle of the two hosts actually eating. My Mother would have banished me from the dining room if I had eaten like that.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:00 pm

I saw a demo by one of last year's finalists, Adam Handling (the lad from Gleneagles) at a Foodie Festival on Saturday

Came across very well, though he was compered by John Whaite from Bake Off, which helped a lot, he's so quick

Postby jeral » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:50 pm

There was a news item just after the final where the three finalists were doing a pop-up together. Found it and apparently it's more than just the final three. It's in London in September. Official website: http://masterchefpopup.com/official website

Return to TV & Radio