Register

'Home Comforts'

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

'Home Comforts'

Postby Alison Wright » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:25 am

"James Martin shares the recipes he cooks in his own kitchen"
(15 daily eps over 3 wks)

Starts today - Mon 17th BBC1 3:45-4:30pm
http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/csx6w ... -lazy-days

Re: 'Home Comforts'

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:34 pm

How on earth does James get his programmes commissioned, except that people watch them of course. High fat on a daytime TV theoretically instructional programme is questionable. That said, he doesn't have kids (I think), so I wonder if his cooking style will change when he does?

Calling it "comfort foods" is hardly a get out of jail free card.

Does he in general (from SK) give butter a bad name though, simply by the amount he uses yet tries to pretend it's a joke to use loads?

I can't eat butter but still think that it's better than swamping one's diet with oils like rapeseed - but that's the point, one wouldn't swamp oil in - and hopefully viewers won't load butter in as James does.

Hmm. I'd better watch the prog. TBH I'd be really happy if I had to eat my words and he produces light healthy meals.

Postby jeral » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:10 pm

Well, I guess I won't need to eat my words about fat content throughout, or sugar for that matter given Pavlova for dessert and sugar in the beer he used in his casserole before James saying he was off to the pub while it cooked (I think that was a quip for adults of course, but on afternoon TV? another bad message).

So, all three things (fat, sugar, alcohol) that others are trying desperately to restrict or promoting restriction of is now flaunted as comfort food and lazy days food.
Well done James. Well done BBC.

For an afternoon programme, it was also good to see that girolle and chanterelle mushrooms are available in our supermarkets (cheque book anyone?), and great if enhanced with Madeira, flambéd of course. Not even a "don't try this at home kids".

Yup, great programme and even better time scheduling.

Postby Dena » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:16 pm

I have just caught up with it and came on here to see of it had been mentioned. I thought it was great. I loved the ease with which he cooks, I am definitely going to try the sweetcorn and crab soup and the marshmallow. In fact I really enjoyed the whole programme.

I used not to like him but now I think he is a good presenter and it is definitely imho one of the best cookery programmes on at the moment.

Return to TV & Radio