Register

food and drink--new series

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

food and drink--new series

Postby mark111757 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:51 am

according to the radio times web site, FOOD AND DRINK is supposed to start monday at 830p on bbc2

cheers!!

Re: food and drink--new series

Postby Alison Wright » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:42 am

I wasn't overly impressed with the last series, I don't think this format sits well on Michel Roux Jr's shoulders.

But I will watch as Mary Berry guests this week.

Postby mark111757 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:58 am

so far so good......i rather liked the souffles in epi 2.....and i thought that arabella weir was a scream....i was rolling on the floor....she was right in alot of cases and made no bones in getting her point across.....

having been on food stamps here in the states in the past i can understand what she was saying.....i found it cheaper and more afordable to buy tinned veg versus fresh...not always the best choice granted but when you are on a super tight budget....

in fact i did atkins for a time in the past and i was let go from my job and went on public assistance and found that food stamps did not cover the cost of "real" food (meat and low/no carb geggies) but there were the tinned stuff like veggies (high in salt, for sure) and tinned pasta....

it sure seems like a hell of a catch 22

to me MRjr comes off as either arrogant and/or in sincere....i enjoyed the other bits of show and his souffle looked great, they even listed the kitchen kit....almost fainted on that one!!!

Postby jeral » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:27 am

Yes, many TV cheffy people fail dismally at pretending to know what a budget meal cost is for cash-strapped families and individuals.

"We've decided to think it's charming." <- quote nicked from Frasier about Daphne's dubious psychic abilities. Recalling this always calms me down 8-)

The recipes looked good, no question, and they did throw poorer folks a bone with chickpea ideas. Don't think you'd know, but Edwina Curry lived for a week on the food budget the government said was quite adequate - some years ago when an MP. She succeeded by guess what? Eating lentils virtually every day. Caused a public outcry "But kids won't eat lentils!" Sound familiar? Sigh, they never learn.

Edit: Paragraph about duck burgers removed as on checking I was factually wrong, as MRjr described them as posh, luxury and upmarket, not cheap.

Postby dennispc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 am

And it got worse this week with Tom Kerridge and breast of lamb - there’s a thread on breast of lamb in food chat. I’d like to know where he can get it for £2.50 a kilo - well over £5 around here. Banana shallots aren’t exactly the cheapest type and people who are really struggling don’t usually have an opened bottle of red wine to hand to throw in either. As for all the various herbs used, that really does show they have no idea. We do have Rosemary growing in our back garden and parsley has survived the winter so far but that’s unusual. Packs of herbs in supermarkets vary from 80p to £1, not forgetting the addition of anchovy, garlic, chilli and so on.

The Mary Berry programme was just as bad, to save wasting eight slices of supermarket white bread she made a fish pie, thus spending a lot more money just to save eight slices of bread. Toast anyone? In the families we know eight slices would’ve gone into the kid’s lunch boxes or made into bread pudding. Rant over. :twisted:

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:24 pm

i didn't read the Mary Berry fish pie that way at all - she didn't in my view make the fish pie in order to use up the bread, she just topped the pie she was going to make with spare bread instead of making pastry or mash specially, about avoiding waste rather than a pure cost-cutting exercise, so I didn't have a problem with that; and it did look nice for a change from mash

But they do seem unaware of the difference between wholesale and and retail butchers, I moaned about that in the series where MR said you coudl get your bitcher to mince soem duck for you, blissfully unaware that High Street butchers only stock duck at Xmas & Easter, and won't put poultry through the mincer for hygeine reasons.

Postby mark111757 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:41 am

talking of lentils, here is something i came across

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/sausag ... tils/8264/

why not cut back on the sausages or maybe use cheaper ones, depending on your situation and add more lentils.

graham kerr in his post galloping gourmet days (late 80s and early 90s) went with the concept of "meat in the minor key"....

would the lentils take on some of the flavour of the stock and sausages....just a thought

Return to TV & Radio