Register

Food Progs Starting This Week

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Food Progs Starting This Week

Postby Alison Wright » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:47 pm

Britain's Best Bakery - ITV Mon-Fri 4-5pm for six weeks-30 eps.
http://www.unrealitytv.co.uk/reality-tv ... -itv-week/

Food Unwrapped Diet Special - C4 Monday 8-9pm (repeat Thurs 2:50 am)
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/tv-guide/cont ... et-special

The Taste - Nigella. C4 Tuesdays 9-10pm - ten eps.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-previews/ ... la-2984942

Jamies Money Saving Meals-Extra Portions. More4 (Freeview 14) Wed 9-10pm Two eps
http://bips.channel4.com/programmes/jam ... /series-2/

Jamie & Jimmy's Friday Night Feast - C4 Fri 8-9pm Six eps.
http://www.channel4.com/programmes/jami ... ight-feast

Italy Unpacked - BBC2 - Fri 9-10pm Three eps.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pn6xz

Re: Food Progs Starting This Week

Postby jeral » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:23 pm

Can I add Anna Olsen's on Food Network (Freeview 41) at 2pm and repeated at 6.30pm from Mon 6th. Apparently it's about fresh food and filmed at her country pile. I recall a poster saying she wouldn't mind Anna's kitchen - from the trailer, I wouldn't mind her East Wing either ;)

Postby Alison Wright » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:43 am

jeral wrote:Can I add Anna Olsen's on Food Network (Freeview 41) at 2pm and repeated at 6.30pm from Mon 6th

It started last Wed & I recorded & watched the first two eps - then deleted the series recording, just didn't enjoy the new format.

Also tried the new 'Fresh Food Fast' with Emeril Lagasse - didn't care for that much either :thumbsdown

NB: My guide shows it's on three times a day - 9:30, 12:30 & 6:30.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:09 pm

i'll try the Taste - Nigella + Bourdain sounds good in theory - except it's a stupid competition based on the format of The Voice, which seems liek an awful waste of the judges on teh face of it

Postby mark111757 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:02 am

was not a big fan of the taste and series 1.....it seemed like it dragged on and on forever.....some interesting recipes tho...will prolly skip it this time around....

jamie might be fun.....wish he would do more original stuff and less recycled.....

italy unpacked sounds intriguing.....getting ready to watch britains best bakery...my thought is that if a plug or two on itv can help the business to, why not!!!

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:01 pm

I'll probably record The Taste tonight - but I'm not holding my breath - think it's going to be another version of Diva's Are Us...............plus I see from a couple of pics that Nigella's already simpering - enough already!!

Postby jeral » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:14 pm

Well, having watched a couple on Anna Olsen's Fresh, there's not much particularly fresh in terms of healthy fresh - I'm quite uninspired I'm afraid.

I like "Chopped" (midnight on Freeview 48 Food Network). It's where three contestants make three courses using all ingredients in "mystery boxes" (+ larder items) and the winner each day goes home with $1,000.

They seem to be plugging "Taste", so will give that a go tonight (Ch.4 9pm). I fail to see why anyone would go to the bother of turning up to make just one spoonful, but perhaps there's more to it than that...

Postby jeral » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Re "The Taste": I'm surprised it's got a prime time viewing slot of 9pm as I reckon it has the pace one attributes to daytime TV whilst multitasking, so hardly "edge of the seat" excitement to just sit and watch.

I was becoming irritated with it so I suspect it's just "not for me".

Postby Renée » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:19 am

The Taste isn't my type of programme, so probably won't watch it again, but I'm sure that it will appeal to a lot of people. You're not alone Jeral!

I will be watching Italy Unpacked on Friday.

Thanks, Alison!

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:09 am

I will give the Taste one more try when they get into teh kitchens, this week was only the warm up

But I'm not hopeful

Postby Renée » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:04 pm

I'll give it another try then and hope that it improves when they are in the kitchen.

Postby jeral » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:36 pm

Still watching "Chopped" (Freeview 48, midnight). They're moving towards the final, prize = $50K.

The ingredients in the "must use all of these" mystery boxes are the most weird and wonderful combinations: sea urchins last night; also bread-and-butter pickles (like gherkins) that had to be used in a dessert dish (what?). Some things I haven't even heard of.

I don't understand why even at this champions stage some chefs offer up under or sometimes overcooked food. Can't they do an extra test portion before plating up? They don't seem to, so things like sweetbreads crumbed and fried will surely always be hit and miss using hobs/ovens alien to them.

Anyway, it moves along with minimum dreaded dramatic music pregnant pauses telly out of the window by now stuff.

Postby Alison Wright » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:11 am

I'm enjoying 'Britain's Best Bakery' as I did the first series. No diva's - just hardworking small businesses doing their utmost to bake their best - I still have today's regional final to watch.

The jury is still out on 'The Taste'. Bourdain & Ludo come with highly respected credentials & I feel they're wasted being paired with the ultra 'chi chi' Nigella. Be interesting to see what happens in the kitchen next week.

Have to admit always having a liking for Jamie. His 'money saving meals' did come up with some tasty ideas worth copying. But not keen on the manic format, all that fast & frantic gesturing & the kitchen full of young kids giving out costings & nutritional advice spoilt it for me.

Just watched 'Italy Unpacked' & wished I'd recorded it so I could watch it again, what a superb programme.
The art, the stone carvings & the white marble pulpit were breath-taking, & so were the markets. But the marinated lard, onions & capers on rustic bread, & that fish stew ........ :yum :clap

Haven't yet watched 'Food Unwrapped' or Jamie's 'Friday Night Feast.'

Jeral, I have four eps of 'Chopped' recorded, just remembered I watched it last year when they did a UK episode with Jun Tanaka, Lottie Duncan & Andy Bates - the most bizarre choice of ingredients - but it was fun.

Just noticed that 'The Good Cook' with Simon Hopkinson starts a 6-part repeat after Sat. Kitchen tomorrow - 11:30-12pm.

Postby mark111757 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:02 am

enjoyed the friday night feast....wished tho that they had posted details for the DIY tandori oven (tho they did the smoker when the fab baker boys did it)

staying away from the taste this time around....i would rather watch something that i could get more out of, say good recipes and cooking tips....

did not see any recipes posted from italy unpacked on the beeb food website or is it not considered a "food" programme???

unless i mispelled it this was a bad link

http://www.channel4.com/fridaynightfeast

or it may not be up yet....

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:46 pm

the only one I've watched out of these programmes is The Taste. As everyone else has said, the jury's out on this one. I think it could be one of those programmes that I give the benefit or the doubt and then realise I'm still watching it when it reaches the semi-final...... :lol: Although I like Anthony Bourdain and Nigella, I am struggling to take to Ludo, the other chef/mentor. He strikes me as the French equivalent to Gordon Ramsay who I cannot bear!

As a confirmed Italophile, I shall have to see if Italy Unwrapped is still on iPlayer.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Didn't much like the first episode of Italy Unwrapped (probably because I hate Genoa) but the Lazio episode was excellent!

Return to TV & Radio