Register

Festive Season Foodie Progs

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Festive Season Foodie Progs

Postby Alison Wright » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:55 pm

Compiled courtesy of Mr W. If he's missed any out, blame the mulled wine! :wino

Tom Kerridge Cooks Christmas - Mon 16th BBC2 8:30-9pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest ... stmas.html

The Great British Christmas Bake Off - Tues 17th BBC2 8:00-9pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01pgqw6

Heston's Great British Food - Tues 17th C4 9:00-10pm (ep 2)
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/tv-guide/cont ... eef-dinner

http://www.talktalk.co.uk/tv-guide/cont ... b/puddings
(ep 3)

Food & Drink Christmas Special - Wed 18th BBC2 8:00-9pm
http://recipesontv.co.uk/news/food-drin ... ecial-2013

Alex Polizzi's Christmas Fix - Thurs 19th BBC2 8:00-9pm
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-12- ... -Christmas

The 12 Drinks of Christmas - Thurs 19th BBC 9-10pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latest ... stmas.html

Gordon Ramsay's Festive Home Cooking - Fri 20th 8:00-9pm
http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/cq2gb ... me-cooking

Also - Gino & Mel are back with Let's Do Christmas - Sunday 15th at 1:35-2:35, then Mon 16th - Dec 24th ITV 12:30-1:30pm
Last edited by Alison Wright on Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Festive Season Foodie Progs

Postby mark111757 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:38 am

thank you thank you allison for a great listing.....just saw tom kerridges proggie on the radio times website....

am wondering if we are going to be treated to another cooking along live from the G-man on xmas day????

thanks again

tho i must admit the pancetta stuffing looked really good to me

Postby Renée » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:12 pm

Many thanks to Mr W, Alison!

Postby Alison Wright » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:11 am

mark111757 wrote:am wondering if we are going to be treated to another cooking along live from the G-man on xmas day????

It would seem not this year! But there are a couple of films you can watch instead. 'James & the Giant Peach' & 'Mr Horton Hears a Who!' :lol:
Nice to see you posting again Mark, you've been missing for a while :wave

Evening Renée, Mr W always checks the TV mag for all the foodie progs for me, & is very happy to help!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:18 pm

Will watch this one
The 12 Drinks of Christmas - Thurs 19th BBC 9-10pm

Xander & Giles should be fun!

Will watch Tom Kerridge tonight while finishing the cards

Really enjoyed Gregg's seasonal Supermarket thingy yesterday

Postby mark111757 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:40 am

allison

thank you!! work has been keeping me busy, too much so some times......

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:45 pm

I wasn't terribly impressed with Mr Kerridge last night, in as much as I didn't want to eat the food!

He started by discardin all the edible bits of the turkey, i.e. the dark meat & the skin, then he did that old trick of stirring bits of pudding into ice cream, thereby IMO rendering two treats inedible, is just me that hates crumbs in ice cream?

The accompanuiments looked nice admittedly and he was very Christmassy, but not what I wan tto do

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:50 am

So far I've watched Tom Kerridge and Bake Off, and we both want to watch The 12 Drinks of Christmas (on catch up). Not sure about Food and Drink yet, despite Mary Berry making a guest appearance. Speaking of Mrs Berry, as much as I admire her, she's been all over the media like a rash just lately, and especially this week :D ! She was also guesting via phone on yesterday's Radio 2 Breakfast show, taking part in a 'chef-off' with Tom Kerridge.

that said, we did enjoy Bake Off (Mr Strictly also loves this programme!), and have decided to make Mary's mincemeat streusel recipe for our festive pud this year. although I enjoyed Tom Kerridge's programme, I'm not sure if i will be making any of the stuff he cooked this year. I did like the idea of the turkey with the crispy topping though. I'm sure the spicy orange cake would be great as well but I can easily tweak one of my other recipes for that. Like you Stokey Sue, I wasn't convinced about the ice cream he served with it either. I think I would rather use mincemeat (preferably a suet free version) in the ice cream instead - now that is delicious!

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:37 am

I enjoyed the 12 Drinks last night, though it won't change my plans (Taittinger & haute Cotes de Beaune)

I wouldn't mind spending Christmas at the house they used as a location - it is beautiful

Postby QinNortham » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:33 pm

Sue, glad I didn't watch TK, what did he do with the good bits of the turkey (lightly crisped skin and the dark meat, my idea of heaven)? No I don't like the idea of crumbs in ice cream either but I don't have a sweet tooth so I often pass on pudding of any kind. Not sure about any wines yet apart from bottles of The Widow and we can have whatever we want this year because it will just be the 2 of us on CD, yipee! Our elder son is in the wine trade and whilst he is wonderful in his choices/matches for food (he's classed as being a super taster with an incredible palate) sometimes his advice ends up costing rather a lot of money, we don't even get staff discount :wino

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:46 pm

grumpykewwoman wrote:Sue, glad I didn't watch TK, what did he do with the good bits of the turkey (lightly crisped skin and the dark meat, my idea of heaven)?

He just bought a crown, boned and stuffed it

The stuffing was good, and it probably tasted OK – but I’m not a fan of the breast meat on turkey or chicken

Sounds like you should watch the 12 drinks - they didn't get the red wine right, though interestingly the favourite (too expensive though) was one I know and love (Musar '96 but I drank all mine before 2005 and paid a heck of a lot less for it)

I actually think the time to have the wonderful red wine is Christmas eve to kick-start the festivities, when it's all you have really, not at a late Christmas lunch following sherry & fizz; you want a good one naturally, but a really great one gets a bit lost following excessive aperitifs and accompanied by sprouts and Emma (aged 3) trying to feed you her Yorkies (we're having beef)

Postby QinNortham » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Sue (if I may), no fan of breast of turkey nor chicken either but leg or thigh meat is a totally different thing. When Sons were much younger we used to have "4 legged" chickens so everyone could have their favourite, the breast meat was always seconds except for me. Mr GKW & self are having beef too but a piece of fillet, haven't decided yet whether it will be "naked" or as a "Welly". Whatever we won't go over the top on the red. Emma (aged 3) can feed me her Yorkies any time, love them! :yum

Return to TV & Radio