Register

Saturday Kitchen

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Saturday Kitchen

Postby Dena » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:44 pm

Watching SK this morning, they had the Red Nose Day banquet at the Albert Hall and one of the dishes was a delicious looking roast goat shoulder or haunch (coated with palm sugar?). Does anyone know where I can find the recipe please? TIA.

Re: Saturday Kitchen

Postby jeral » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Dena. Here yer go for Michael Smith recipes. Scroll to Page 8 for the "I love kids...etc".

The shopping list looks easy enough - only about a million ingredients! He may have tweaked it at the last minute.

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/greatbrit ... _week2.pdf

Postby Dena » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:56 pm

You are a star jeral. Thank you so much. I see what you mean about the ingredients - wow - but it did look so good :clap :thumbsup

Thanks again Magic1

Postby Renée » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:33 pm

Simon Hopkinson was on SK this morning and talked about processing parmesan to a fine crumb, bagging it and freezing down, so that there is always a supply available. A simple idea, maybe, but one that I hadn't thought of doing.

Postby jeral » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:29 pm

Should you post this on the main board?

Me not at all sure about crumbing parmesan since it keeps well as a block even in the fridge and can be frozen if in paper+parchment wrap to avoid moisture condensation, so why crumb it? Was chef SH talking about for a specific recipe rather than general use?

Postby Renée » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:45 pm

It was just for general use, jeral. It's not something that I always have in, although I do agree that it keeps well, but just occasionally, I want to make something on the spur of the moment, so I shall probably freeze some down for those occasions. I could also freeze a block down, as you mentioned.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:04 pm

jeral wrote:Should you post this on the main board?

Me not at all sure about crumbing parmesan since it keeps well as a block even in the fridge and can be frozen if in paper+parchment wrap to avoid moisture condensation, so why crumb it? Was chef SH talking about for a specific recipe rather than general use?

Crumbing or grating comes to much the same thing, it's just a way of making particles to sprinkle

I usually buy a block, grate it (I have a parmesan disc for my processor) and freeze in a plastic box removing a spoonful as needed

This time I froze the block, and I really regret it; it is NOT easy to grate from frozen, I find gripping anything at -18 deg C really unpleasant and even my Microplane struggles with frozen cheese, so I really don't see the point of freezing the block

Return to TV & Radio