Register

Hairy Bikers - Best of British

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Hairy Bikers - Best of British

Postby Alison Wright » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:34 am

My TV mag lists this as series two - so it appears to be a new series - twenty episodes.

"They return to explore more of the nation's dishes"

BBC2 7:00 - 8pm (Tues/Wed/Thur - Fri 6:30 - 7:30 this week)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01rt1qz

Re: Hairy Bikers - Best of British

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:09 pm

I have now watched all of last week's episodes. I am enjoying it, and am assuming that it's reflecting modern, multicultural Britain with a nod to it's history. Which is possibly which they have made 4 curries in 5 days! However, the cynic in me can't help thinking that the Bikers are using this series to promote their new book on curries. :twisted: Anyone else getting this impression?

Postby mark111757 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:36 pm

liking the seeries so far....tho sometimes the foolishness is a bit much....

was it my imagination or did Si look really tired in the bit where they were at the distillation facility???

btw--nice to see all the great british products

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:18 am

I am enjoying this

i agree with Mark about Si though - he looks a bit unwell to me

Sometimes they over do the silliness, but sometimes it works - Ivan Day , who often comes over as a bit dour and pedantic was clearly enjoying it a lot. which made his sequence fun to watch

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:26 am

I thought Si looked a bit subdued a couple of times. Whether this was down to recovering from a bout of the flu or maybe a long-haul flight is anyone's guess

Postby Lil'Abby » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:00 pm

Just been watching this. They made boeuf bourguignon and served it with what they called Lyonnaise potatoes, thinly sliced potatoes and onions cooked in stock. Surely this is boulangere potatoes? Think they're getting a little mixed up. Can't believe I was doubting myself for a minute though. :?

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:44 pm

Lil'Abby wrote:Just been watching this. They made boeuf bourguignon and served it with what they called Lyonnaise potatoes, thinly sliced potatoes and onions cooked in stock. Surely this is boulangere potatoes? Think they're getting a little mixed up. Can't believe I was doubting myself for a minute though. :?

Hi Lil'Abby

I have just checked some recipes and the relevant clip of the programme (which I had seen but my hubby interrupted me just at that point!). Yes, the Hairies did make boulangere potatoes and called them Lyonnaise by mistake. The latter is boulangere minus the stock!

Oops to the HB's!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Not only did they make Boulangère potatoes and call them Lyonnaise, why would you serve potatoes cooked in stock with bourguignon? They wouldn't soak up the gravy

I wasn't terribly impressed with the bourguignon either - they didn't marinate the meat and they seem to have used a Bordeaux - not a Burgundy, or at least a Pinot Noir (if making in the UL I recommend Sainsbug’s generic pinot noir for this kind of dish, it is Rumanian, but pretty decent).

And as for that Mille Feuilles – you don’t make an ultra-light pastry by flattening puff and preventing it from forming layers for heaven’s sake , a true Mille Feuilles is made from a single sheet of puff, that rises so much it can be split between the layers and filled. And the icing was too thick, and why didn’t he draw the feathering alternately left and right? It looked very odd all pointing one way!

A shame – I’ve enjoyed the others especially Ivan Day & some of the archive footage but they hadn’t quite got the hang of France I don’t think. I did have a nice moment of nostalgia remembering the French Onion sellers coming in through Portsmouth when I was little

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 pm

I know what you mean Stokey Sue, I like boeuf bourguignon with rice funnily enough (I know it's a bit left field but...). I did enjoy tonight's programme though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 pm

strictlysalsaclare wrote:I know what you mean Stokey Sue, I like boeuf bourguignon with rice funnily enough (I know it's a bit left field but...). I did enjoy tonight's programme though.

My French OH preferred rice with all dishes of that type

I quite like mash or jacket spuds or just good bread

Always served 70s style with Duchesse potatoes ;)

ivan Day cropped up again with Paul Hollywood - he seems to get around a bit

Return to TV & Radio