Register

Great British Bake Off Easter Masterclass

What do you think about the food programmes being broadcast?

Great British Bake Off Easter Masterclass

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:31 pm

Calling all Bake Off fans on here......

I found out this week that this programme will be broadcast on BBC2 next Tuesday 26th March from 8pm-9pm. It is a masterclass featuring Paul and Mary, like the Christmas special. Only this time they'll be making simnel cake & hot cross buns plus other Easter themed goodies. :yum

Enjoy!!!!

Re: Great British Bake Off Easter Masterclass

Postby mark111757 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:18 am

SSC

thanks for the heads up.....a nice addition to the christmas one and i bet some great recipes too!!

Postby Pepper Pig » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:32 am

Great! I shall have to learn how to set Sky Plus as I'm out on Tuesday.

Postby dennispc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 am

It was a good programme and I enjoyed it particularly as it was OH who got a bit sniffy as Mary Berry's simmel cake had a dip in the top :o and no oil of cassis in the Easter biscuits. OH soaks her fruit overnight in orange liqueur and instead of apricot jam uses the syrup from a stem ginger jar. She's making Easter Biscuits today and I'll try PH's hot cross buns, with apple, tomorrow.

Postby mark111757 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 pm

i would give it two big thumbs up......especially the lemon pavlova looked totally scrummy!!!!!

my only thought was how to figure where to put the 10 mini nests on top so they come out more or less evenly

dennis----sounds like it is going to taste really really good!!!

:D

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:19 pm

Was it me, or were there two major bloopers in the voice over?

First "divide 50g marzipan into three parts" (the recipe say 450g, which seems a bit much to me)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mary_berrys_simnel_cake_84841

Second, when making the lemon glacé icing I'm sure the disembodied voice sais d"add the juice of 12 lemons" - the instructions say 1-2 tsp which is more like it!

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:28 pm

Stokey Sue wrote:Was it me, or were there two major bloopers in the voice over?

First "divide 50g marzipan into three parts" (the recipe say 450g, which seems a bit much to me)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mary_berrys_simnel_cake_84841

Second, when making the lemon glacé icing I'm sure the disembodied voice sais d"add the juice of 12 lemons" - the instructions say 1-2 tsp which is more like it!

yes, there were a couple of bloopers, I raised an eyebrow at the mention of 12 lemons, I think there was another one 2, I'm sure glacier cherries were mentioned when Mary was making the simnel cake!

However, me and my hubby really enjoyed the programme and I will be making cheaty versions of the lemon pavlova and the Portugese custard and chocolate tarts. Basically using already bought, ready made individual meringue nests & farmers market quality lemon and lime curd (as there's only 2 of us) for the former; and ready made puff pastry and custard powder custard for the latter. I may also make some of the Easter shaped biscuits as I have the identical set of cutters to the ones Paul was using. I did like his tip for coating the palette knife in flour before prising the cut biscuits off the worktop/board.

Postby dennispc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Yes 12 lemons was said as well as two oranges for the Hot cross buns, only one in the recipe. The bloomer recipe says 'tripple in size', PH said double. I suppose it's just the usual differences between what's shown and what's published. No doubt there are others but at the moment life's too short.

OH uses 500gms of marzipan per cake, not the cheap golden version published on the BBC food site and not a glace cherry in sight!

Postby MrsWW » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:02 pm

I enjoyed it very much - the lemon pavlova and the flaky pastry are on the cards for very, very soon here.

Postby dennispc » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:48 pm

mark111757 wrote:
dennis----sounds like it is going to taste really really good!!!:D

Thanks Mark, inspired by MB, PH and Sakkarin's no knead loaf here's the result, though so far we've only tasted the Easter biscuits.

DSCF0010.JPG
DSCF0010.JPG (163.71 KiB) Viewed 3640 times

OH's simnel cake (no glace cherries nor fancy flowers), with posh yellow ribbon added, is for family tomorrow; OH's Easter Biscuits, larger and thinner than MB's were lovely; my no knead wholemeal loaf, in tin last night, into fridge and straight into a hot oven, is for my lunch; PH's bloomer for OH's lunch and my hot cross buns are for us both.

I've never made a bloomer that size before, as Gill said on another thread, ten minutes kneading does make a difference and the crosses on the buns are the best I'd ever achieved. A successful morning's bake. :thumbsup

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:08 pm

Wow dennispc, you and your OH have been busy, your goodies look gorgeous. Hope you enjoy eating the results. Although I don't make hot cross buns, I may turn a couple of the ones we've bought into a bread and butter pudding with additional apple and orange zest to give them the 'Hollywood' (of the Paul kind ;) ) touch.

Return to TV & Radio