Register

Garden foods

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: Garden foods

Postby Uschi » Mon May 21, 2018 9:57 pm

One thing that tastes better outside (I have a balcony, not a garden) is elderflower infused wine.
Pick some elderflowers early in the morning, don't wash them, but check for small critters and remove them. Then place the flowers face down in a bowl of white wine, making sure the stalks don't touch the wine. Leave in the fridge until evening and then strain into a glass. If you like, add a little lemon zest.
You can either enjoy the wine as it is, or add a little bubbly or fizzy water.
The flavour is wonderful, springtime in a glass.

Postby karadekoolaid » Tue May 22, 2018 12:10 am

Rats: I´m going to apologise before even posting this, but I just HAVE to:
My rub depends on how I'm feeling

As the actress said to the bishop :o :o :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was a running joke when I worked in London in the seventies, and you just brought back the memory!!

Anyway - my BBQ actually fell apart (quite literally) as I was cleaning it last week. It crumbled. Aarrgghh :crying1 :crying1
Anyway, we shall fix it, come what may, because it´s the star of our garden food. The favourite is a cut of meat called Tri-tip, ( over here, punta trasera), which works beautifully on a grill. Then there are the huge tenderloins -which barely get 5 minutes on the grill - and chicken in all shapes and sizes. Chorizos ( giant sized bangers which might be garlic-infused, herbed, or spiced with paprika), plain " White" sausages, Xistorras from the Basque country, Morcilla (blood sausage) is also very popular.
Veggie wise, I often just wrap up odd veg in foil, splash them with balsamic, or soy, or ketjap manis, or what ever is at hand) and bung them on the grill.

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 22, 2018 9:18 am

Karakoolaide, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Navarre Xistorria or Chistorria Sausages and Burgos Blood Sausages ( Morcilla de Burgos ) are top notch ! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Definitely wish we could have a tiny Hibachi, for our terrace, however, it is prohibited by the Condo Association due to fear of fires .. I cannot blame them actually ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 22, 2018 10:51 am

OOOOOOh Clive, you are naughty, but I like it. :limbobanana

If we do have sausages on the BBQ they are usually boudins blanc or noir. M loves andouilettes but they are not to everyones taste. The GCs like Marguez, the hotter the better. They like to poke a hole throught the middle of a fresh baguette and push the sausage inside. My sharpening steel is just the right size!

Postby Obelixx » Tue May 22, 2018 11:46 am

Hello everyone. It's taken a long while to get warm enough to think about eating out of an evening here (Vendée) and, by the time we've finished gardening or whatever it's too late to wait for the BBQ to get hot enough to cook. We've been having lunch outdoors when we can and that's assorted salads with frittata or Coronation chicken to use up the breast meat if we've had roast chuck at the weekend. We also really like Nigella's salad of radicchio with walnuts and blue cheese.

I never used to like burgers but in restaurants here they're done with properly raised beef - Limousin or Blonde d'Aquitaine - and very good buns and frites so, having had none at all since 1988, I've had 3 in the last 18 months. The other day I made my own with well brought up minced pork mixed with freshly grated apple and some grainy mustard. Delish.

Love the sound of the Moroccan quail so will be trying that.

Don't drink beer at any temperature but OH likes his chilled Belgian or local artisanal beers. For outdoor drinking I like Tonic Zero (for cramps) and chilled white, rosé or sparkling wine - not in the same glass!

Planting tomatoes, squashes, courgettes, cucumber and melon today so lots of lovely salads and BBQ veg to look forward to.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 23, 2018 8:23 am

Hi Uschi.
That's an utterly charming thing to do with elderflower. Lovely idea.
I'm thinking you can infuse it into lots of drinks. & will keep on the lookout for it. Particularly down by the cycle network track where it grows in abundance.

Clive that's a crying shame about your bbq. But I'm sure you'll fix it for another season. Just like I was able to fix my most used cast iron pot lid in the picture.
I particularly adore veggies on the bbq. I've got a super marinade for them when they are on skewers using tamari.

Gloucester Old Spot are THE sausages here. So we had them yesterday, me with sweetcorn. Tony with baked beans.
As I say, I'm not really a lover, but hey. I had 2.
But it served to reignite our interest in cooking outdoors.

Morning Obelixx.
Nice one with putting apple into your burgers. I agree with you on the burger front.
I never used to go for them in a big way. Of course made at home you can make them to suit. But they are growing on me.

My trick is not to eat them with a bun.

Happy outdoor veggie planting.
We did salads one year in a large tub, and couldn't eat the lettuce quick enough.

Postby jeral » Wed May 23, 2018 12:29 pm

Gillthepainter, do you mean eat the lettuce quicker than the caterpillars etc do? If so, well done :)

What is your veg marinade please? Am I right to think it's used as a glaze on veg just before grilling? Would it work with pak choi? I quite like oyster sauce on them (halved and grilled) but it can burn easily.

I make lamb mince koftas which have cumin, onion, jalapeno etc which I'm told taste very good. They're very easy - bung all in and blend. I sit them on foil to go under the grill as they tend to fall off metal skewers when turning over. They might stick better to soaked wooden skewer, or just do them as patties. It's from the great but sadly defunct Fooddownunder board, although some of their recipes survive on other sites.
http://home.hiwaay.net/~rjacobs/cooking ... ebabs.html

Postby Uschi » Thu May 24, 2018 11:09 am

Gil, we have an elderflower-infused bubbly-cocktail here, called "Hugo" which isn't half as nice as making it oneself. Besides "Hugo" also contains mint and more lemon, a bit like an elderflower Caipirinha.

Elderflower wine (or bubbly) is more to my taste. Especially since there is so little work involved!
Good luck on the cycle track!

Postby Gillthepainter » Thu May 24, 2018 11:14 am

Nice one Jeral.
I like kofta type skewers.

I will dig out that marinade for you. Even if you don't want to use tamari on your vegetables, you can mix it with mayonnaise, as a dressing.

Thanks Uschi.
I wonder what the Hugo stands for? Do you know. Is it a famous person?

Postby Uschi » Thu May 24, 2018 11:23 am

To my knowledge a bar man just plucked it out of thin air, because he needed a name.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_(cocktail)

Postby jeral » Thu May 24, 2018 3:29 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:...[clip]...
I will dig out that marinade for you. Even if you don't want to use tamari on your vegetables, you can mix it with mayonnaise, as a dressing. ...[clip]...

Much obliged. Tamari is a staple for me being tastier and less sweet than soya. For a glaze (or marinade for salmon or tuna), I use it plus EVOO and bitties of fresh ginger left to infuse.

Incidentally, celeriac is good here just now. It makes tasty chips for a side dish by parboiling them, then tossing in groundnut/peanut oil (or your preferred veg oil) plus optional garlic bitties and paprika. They can be frozen in portions at this stage.

Then tray-baked from fresh or frozen in a hot oven, 225C or slightly lower if fan, until done but still soft (meaning that baking until brown is likely to be too long). I've never tried them on a bbq though.

Postby mark111757 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 pm

Never had a garden growing up, a veg garden yes , but rather a big ass lawn and in one oorner dad had done v very DIY BBQ with cinder blocks and a piece of grating.

He did steak on it and burgers and tasty hots and of course chix. With cornell BBQ sauce recipe

http://yates.cce.cornell.edu/resources/ ... -barbecues

Those were the days

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 25, 2018 12:35 am

Mark, I think we may not be talking the samd language

You say yard, we say garden unless it's completely enclosed and paved, that's a yard here

A lawn with a BBQ and a veg plot to the side very definitely a garden in UK terms, even if not a flower in sight

Two nations separated by a common language, as usual

I do have a yard, shared by the two restaurants at ground level and the two flats up a flight of fire escape style stairs. The yard is walled, stone paved, and apart from the metal gate and staircase it contains mail boxes, utility meters, a couple of bins and (often) a chain smoking Chinese chef

Postby mark111757 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:24 pm

Hi sue

No cover on this, other than the leaves from the maple trees covering the BBQ area.

To get a feel, the garden dad had was on one end of the property, BBQ on the other.

Some great memories

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox