Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 18, 2018 9:07 am

I could eat those pakoras RIGHT NOW! Sakkarin.

Have fun, Renee.

Jeral
Good ol' Gino made a light lasagne summer dish years ago.
Using just tinned tomatoes. I do the same with cannelonis. I pour the tinned tomatoes or passata over the top.
Then pour doubled cream over too. And bake.

No need for a white sauce.
If you are asking for a vegan, use cashew cream, or provomel soya cream.

Had my usual chicken breast with lemon thyme, and a salad.
Tony bought the feta from ASDA, and it's the best I've had for a long time. Creamy and gentle tasting.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 18, 2018 10:39 am

Having a cheese hater I used to make white sauce flavouring the milk with onion, bay leaves, peppercorns and a bit of mace or nutmeg (we weren't keen on cloves) I just used to measure the milk in a large jug, add the flavourings, heat in the microwave to just below boiling, then leave it to infuse for a while I always felt the microwave extracted more flavour than using the hob

Postby jeral » Fri May 18, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks Renée. I hope you have a lovely two weeks - and some good weather to enjoy them even more :)

Thanks all for the lasagne white sauce ideas and microwave tip. Yes, it is for a vegan dish so I'll see which might go best with veg I'm proposing, i.e. a tom/aubergine layer (the tasty tinned one I use), a blackbean/onion and mushroom layer, and a sweetcorn/yellow pepper layer. (<-Any leftover veg they'll happily use in stirfries.) Then the white sauce and crispy garlic crumbs to top a minute before the end.

Gillthepainter , your chicken salad looks perfect - very clean-tasting for sunny weather.

Postby Alexandria » Fri May 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Gil, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Very lovely absolutely .. A Greek Style Salad is always a marvel !! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fabulous weekend .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Fri May 18, 2018 10:05 pm

Today was the birthday of a dear fríend of many years, and we all had lunch at a traditional Galician Seafood Tavern & Bar ..

Lunch included a wonderful O´Rosal Designation of Origin, Tri Varietal Grape Wine called: Santiago Ruiz ( 70 % Albariño ) ..

The fish of the day was Freshly Caught Wild, John Dory. My 1st course was and usually is a salad .. However, I eat my salad after my main, if possible ..

The dessert was made on premises and was a lovely light cheesecake with fresh blue berries ..

I had a very slim slither ..

And I actually had the Santiago Almond Bizcocho, which I am very fond of .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Espresso and a good walk back home ..

Have a lovely weekend ..

*** Saturday: Our Pasta Day .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Mon May 21, 2018 7:41 pm

A light mushroom and bell pepper etc stir fry conction with rice with coconut cream tonight; "light" as flaky apple pastry thingy and custard to follow. Mmm custard - forget the rest ;)

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 21, 2018 8:49 pm

Mondays are always a very busy day so, it is a quick Bar Tavern lunch or a lovely little Bistro on the beach which is Japanese ..

Sunday was a home grilled wild salmon fusion Teriyaki with fresh mango & papaya, ginger, honey and Bio Teriyaki from Japan .. Lovely lovely little dish and can also be done with chicken ..

Tuesday & Wednesday: Office lunches out .. Probably Greek or Catalan cuisine ..

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 21, 2018 11:08 pm

LAST Monday was a very busy day, because I had a last minute call for dinner.
And THIS Monday, my wife decided to have some friends over to play Canasta.
" Cook some curry" she said.
"Oh,and why don´t you make my favourite aubergine dish?" 8-)
2 hours later:
" Aren´t you going to make some lentils? SOOOOO good with curries" 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)

So that was my morning gone.
Then there was the sweet course.... :gonzo :gonzo

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 22, 2018 12:29 pm

I haven't made anything very exciting recently, though I had a beautiful plaice on Sarurday, cooked a la meuniere with some broccoli peas and new potatoes. And Morrison's The Best Tartare sauce - don't bother, reverting to Maille.

Had a dosa in the Southbank street food market, nice but the chick pea curry on the side was different and delicious. I mke mine dark and sour with tamarind, none of that here, it was light coloured, sweet sour, and perhaps slightly fruity. I think maybe both amchoor and a bit of mango puree? Quite a lot of herb coriander too

Postby Badger's Mate » Tue May 22, 2018 1:14 pm

We've found quite a lot of supermarket tartares that we didn't much like. Our favourite is the M&S one. Will check out Maille. :thumbsup

Postby mark111757 » Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 pm

Joan

I have chorizo and andouille made in an Italian deli. The andouille was missing something the stuff made in the south has. The same with the chorizo. Maybe Spanish seasonings I don't know. I will say tho both were raw.

There was one store chain that offers heat and eat chorizo and andouille sausage.

They are $5.29 for 12oz PKG.

As long as it did not but coming out for three days , it would be great

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 22, 2018 4:32 pm

Tuesday: Had a lovely bruschetta in a new venue close to beach .. The toppings were: Italian sun dried tomatoes, fresh oregano herb, capers and a drizzle of Tarragona Evoo e Balsamic Vinegar from Modena ..

Hit the spot .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Wed May 23, 2018 7:50 am

I'm not fond of ready made tartare sauce either. I tend to add the relevant bits and bobs to a ramekin full of ready made mayonnaise especially for a relevant meal. I have enough jars in the fridge without adding ready made mayo-based sauces to it! :lol:

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 23, 2018 11:09 am

I only "make" it for a champagne breakfast with salmon.
Otherwise, the Waitrose tubs in our house. I don't eat it, and Tony likes this one in particular.

There was a time, fairly recently in fact.
When I made everything. Mayo, sauces, cooked tomatoes rather than tinned, I even tried making mustard.

But I don't bother being so enthusiastic nowadays.

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 24, 2018 3:04 pm

Frijoles Chinos con hoja de remolacha.JPG
Mung beans with beetroot leaves
Frijoles Chinos con hoja de remolacha.JPG (149.72 KiB) Viewed 11399 times
Baingan Molee.jpg
Aubergines with cumin and coconut
Baingan Molee.jpg (136.87 KiB) Viewed 11399 times
Here´s Monday´s lunch ( a little late, but I had problems with the internet!):
Attachments
Navratan Korma.jpg
Nine Jewels Korma
Navratan Korma.jpg (152.79 KiB) Viewed 11399 times

Postby Renée » Fri May 25, 2018 5:16 pm

Fabulous, KK! :clap :clap :clap

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 25, 2018 6:21 pm

Nice one, squirrel.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Fri May 25, 2018 6:50 pm

In a similar vein, I've had two day's worth of Chicken Biryani made to Dipna Anand's recipe.

It's not absolutely the best I've had (although I said it was in this post), but very very good. I've not yet found a recipe that I'd consider the perfect one, but this is maybe 8.5 out of 10.

It was going to be an approximation, using what I had to hand, but oddly enough I found that I had both kewra water and rosewater in the cupboard, so I was able to follow her recipe to the letter. Except for the colouring - I subbed a bit of turmeric and paprika for colour, although I HAVE both the powdered colours in stock.

http://www.dipna.com/chicken_biryani.html

The best I've had was at a little Indian Curry house round the back of Tottenham Court Road, about 30 years ago.

Previous

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox