Register

ryvita ideas

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: ryvita ideas

Postby Renée » Mon May 14, 2018 11:25 am

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon May 14, 2018 12:44 pm

I started getting excited there for a minute Renee! - but it wasn't Waitrose selling the sobrasada but Delicioso - the one I gave a link to, must have been an old article - it's £7 95 for 300gms now.....!

Incidentally, Asda do a good cooking chorizo that's every bit as good as Brindisa but much cheaper.

Ouch Ouch Gilly - I feel your pain!!!! Trapped nerves are not good news & you can do nothing to speed things up except wait - & no sudden movements! I had it towards the bottom of my back a few months back, it took over 6 weeks before it calmed down - very debilitating- so much you can't do (including sleep!).

Do you know how you did it? I can trace mine back to my physio class can you believe - too much twisting!

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 14, 2018 2:09 pm

Sobresada vs. Nduja anyone?

Nduja is the Italian soft spreadable salami

Both now made in London (and I think in Hampshire and elsewhere in the UK), quite a number of delis, restaurants, and gastro pubs make their own especially Nduja

Probably coming to a farmer's market near you soon

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon May 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Now it was my turn to have a google........!

Never heard/tried it - but it sounds good & very :yum on a ryvita ! - I shall look out for it, there's an Italian deli 5mins away, I'll have gander next time I'm in there, they do that unpronounceable smoked cheese that you don't often see, so there's a good chance.

Postby Renée » Mon May 14, 2018 7:16 pm

Sorry about that, Lush! Yes I was getting excited too and would have searched for it in Waitrose!

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 15, 2018 10:24 am

And Sainos seem to have it too...

At that price it would have to be a special treat.

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs ... rence-145g

EDIT: P.S. No sign of Sobrasada in "1001 foods to try before you die", a fab coffee table book with every exotic ingredient under the sun, but a double page spread on Nduja.

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 15, 2018 11:41 am

We ate Sobresada in Mallorca - it's one of those things that doesn't work out too bad per portion, you don't use much at once

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 19, 2018 6:51 pm

Ha! So I get to try some Nduja, courtesy of Tesco/Goodfellas...

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat May 19, 2018 7:00 pm

what d'ya think..................?

Postby Alexandria » Sat May 19, 2018 7:21 pm

Calabrian Nduja and The Baleric Islands, of Spain´s Sobrssada have their similarities and their definite nuances .. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nduja, from the appellation of Spilinga, Calabria is made with: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Roasted red peppers
Roasted red chili peppers
And porc Salami ..

Sobrassada from Mallorca, Ibiza and Menorca: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Xuia ( a type of porc bacon )
Porc Loin
Smoked Paprika

So, due to the ingredient differences and climatic differences, one can note, that Nduja is spicier and has a tiny chili pepper after taste .. Nduja is used in pasta sauces with chili peppers in Spilinga, Calabria ..

Have a nice weekend .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Sobrassada is spicy however, more " of a thick paté " and is spread on bread and served as a tapa in bars ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Sat May 19, 2018 8:38 pm

I don't know why I get drawn into these shop pizzas, they're usually dreadful, this being no exception, I'm afraid it was a 2 out of 10. No fault of the Nduja, just a nasty biscuity base, greasy topping and nasty processed cheese :-(

Waste of £1.50.

Postby Lusciouslush » Sat May 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Yeah Alex - we have all got it !!!!!!!!!!!

maybe shut down those mouths of yours.........!!!!!!!!!!!

No need to explain what we all ready know Sakks ................... :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown :thumbsdown

Sakks - totally feel your pain !! we always think it'll be much better than it is -

on to the next...................

Postby Alexandria » Sat May 19, 2018 9:27 pm

Karakoolaide,

The best frozen pizzas are "natural & bio", produced by: Doctor Oetker " ..

They are labelled on the boxes, " all 100% natural ingredients " on their new types ..

Otherwise; why don´t you prepare a quick Focaccia and just add your favorite ingredients on top and place in oven ?

These "plastic pizzas" are garbage .. And the sauce and cheese are full of chemicals .. :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit

Really awful stuff .. :vomit :vomit :vomit :vomit

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby jeral » Sun May 20, 2018 12:29 am

Sakkarin, I feel your pain too. One of the vegans staying ordered a takeaway pizza (costing £lots) and it looked so dried up to me that if I'd been paying I'd have demanded it be replaced.

Such a let down since it had all the things on top it said it did, so dunno wot went wrong. No ndjuja of course, which I guess is why you bought the Goodfella's one. They aren't usually the worst brand by any means, so I guess they didn't get it right either.

Postby Stokey Sue » Sun May 20, 2018 1:09 am

Dr Oetker are pretty basic pizza IMO though ok compared to other brands. We don't get "bio" ones here since as we have discussed before as we don't recognise bio, either fully certified organic or nothing. Dr Oetker do make gluten free, which are probably a boon to families who need them

I don't suppose karadekoolaid can get either, not being in EU

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 20, 2018 8:29 am

Sakkers - £1.50. How can they possibly make it for that.

Postby jeral » Sun May 20, 2018 3:42 pm

Gillthepainter wrote:Sakkers - £1.50. How can they possibly make it for that.

I remember a quip that that British Rail (as was) got so many slices from a single tomato that they must use a laser beam cutter. Given the cost of printing the cardboard, no doubt they have to skimp drastically with the actual food content to meet the lowest recognisable price point.

I do wonder who buys the very big pizzas in supermarkets as they're oversize for my oven if airflow surround is expected.

Postby mark111757 » Sun May 20, 2018 5:16 pm

Here is what we have locally/regionally. Is this the real deal or a cheap knock off. I figure if worse comers to worse, I can to thru Amazon or eBay

IMG_20180520_111126_112.JPG
IMG_20180520_111126_112.JPG (38.74 KiB) Viewed 7817 times

Postby miss mouse » Sun May 20, 2018 6:04 pm

I have no idea. From my time living in The Americas DGOs (denomination of geographical origin) were complete ignored. Basmatti Rice and Puy lentils from Texas and perhaps Agen prunes though perhaps they came from California eg. Prosciutto from the Maple Leaf factory back east in Ontario and many more things. I do not say that they were bad products but pretending that they are something else does everyone a huge disservice.

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 20, 2018 9:46 pm

Funny your mentioning knock-offs, or pseudo products.
In the Lake District, I got a lake district chorizo at a food fayre.

Now the thing about a chorizo is not to put it in the fridge. (although I do).

This pseudo chorizo went grey after 1 week. There's no way the real deal would do that.

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox