Register

Spanish Sherry: Which is your type ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Spanish Sherry: Which is your type ?

Postby Alexandria » Thu May 17, 2018 12:10 am

:clap :clap Spanish Sherry .. And which is your type ?

Here is a very brief description on the appellation of Spanish Sherries .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

1) Amontillados: As per a visit to Gonzalez Byass Bodegas, in Jerez de La Frontera, Cadiz, in Andalusia, the Amontillados are named after the town of Montilla, Córdoba, where its production began and this sherry is often described as being mid way between a fino and an oloroso, with a Golden amber hue, and a couple of well known labels are: Lustau, Domecq and Amontillado del Duque, produced by Gonzalez Byass. It is now produced in Jerez de La Frontera as well as Cordoba .. The ones produced in Cordoba, are not particulary known to outsiders or visitors ..

2) Oloroso: The layer of yeast is thin in this Sherry often called a brandy, and as it ages it deepens in color to a dark honey rusty tone, and possesses aromas of hazelnuts, and makes a perfect aperitif or dessert wine .. The mythic Matusalém is produced by Gonzalez Byass ..

3) Manzanilla: This is the world wide popular dry blonde Sherry, served chilled ( in Spain and every country I have been to, this is not a white wine to drink at room temperature ); the best known brands include: La Guita, La Gitana and a different type of Manzanilla called Pasada, from Sanulcar Barameda, further west along the coast of Cadiz, is not in the same category as the Fino from Jerez de La Frontera .. There is quite a price difference .. It is renowned for being served with Andalusian Fresh Wild Fried Fish and Calamar and Fried Prawns ..

4) Palo Cortado: In Jerez, a lovely treat is an 60 year old Domecq Sibarita Brandy ..
This is quite memorable ..

5) Cream Sherry: A favorite amongst "foreigners" and expatriates, this a a pale naturally sweet wine made with grapes and is a good companion to be served with patés and foie gras.

6) Pedro Ximenez: Known as PX, this naturally sweet velvety caramelised Brandy, made in the French Style, is predominately used in sauces in Michelin and top notch restaurants as well as with desserts ..
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Spanish Sherry: Which is your type ?

Postby Renée » Thu May 17, 2018 12:16 am

Alexandria, I enjoyed reading your description of Oloroso, because it is the only one that I buy, but only occasionally these days.

Postby Alexandria » Thu May 17, 2018 12:19 am

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for all your feedback and the lovely compliment ..

Yes, I too like Oloroso as well as Chilled Blonde Fino ( with fried Fish and Calamar ) as well as my fave, Lustau Amontillado ..

It all depends on how one wine and food pairs ..

Oloroso is wonderful with desserts especially a home made from scratch cheesecake ! :lol: :lol:

Goodnight Dear ..

12.20am .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Badger's Mate » Thu May 17, 2018 12:21 am

We have 'his and hers' sherry at home. Manzanilla or fino for me and PX for Mrs B. Not that I dislike PX, it just risks bodily harm if I lay my hands on it. We also like the wines of Madeira - it's safer if I stick to the Malmsey.... :D

Postby karadekoolaid » Thu May 17, 2018 3:38 am

Amontillado for me; I just love really DRY sherry. As you mention, with seafood, it´s even better.
My mum used to buy Oloroso - but it´s way too sweet for my taste.

Curiously enough, I once taught English to the Sales Director of Pedro Domecq.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu May 17, 2018 8:24 am

It's either Fino or Amontillado for me, even in desserts. Anything else is far too sickly for me. I have a little bit of fino left in the drinks cabinet at the moment. I am going use it to make a Sherried Raisin and Almond cake for my birthday which is in a few weeks. If I dont have enough then I'll add some orange juice or water to it!

Postby Alexandria » Thu May 17, 2018 10:28 am

Thank you for all your feedback .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Karakoolaide: Yes, I am a grand fan of Fino blonde chilled Sherry and I adore Lustau Amontillado as an aperitif or to accompany a dessert .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Strictly: Yes, this birthday cake sounds lovely surely and Happy Birthday Wishes too .. :lol: :lol:

Postby Alexandria » Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 am

Badger,

Yes, definitely can understand ..

Enjoy your Manzanila Sherry !

Surely is amazing with fried calamari and fried fish of all kinds. :lol: :lol:

Have a lovely day ..

Postby Joanbunting » Thu May 17, 2018 2:21 pm

It is not my drink of preference I have a strange taste relationship with any fortified wines and flor.

However M is a real officianado. It really depends on what he is eating and more importantly these days what we can lay our hands on. It is vitually unknown in France. Sometimes, for a treat I order him some from the UK

A fine Manzanila does indeed go well with many soups and fish and even I like it when anywhere near a salted almond or an olive or 2.

We have been known to pair Matusalem with a very rich pudding or fruit cake.

Pedro Ximinez is suprisingly good with foie gras.

I have a bottle of Croft Amontillado in the fridge for what else but trifle!!That was my mother's favourite tipple.

Postby Alexandria » Thu May 17, 2018 4:44 pm

Joan, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Thank you for your feedback .. :lol: :lol:

Yes, Pedro Ximenez is commonly used in a sauce with foie gras in Michelin and upscale venues ..

Why don´t you order direct from The Spanish wine estates, online, verses, ordering from the U.K., since the U.K. is getting the Jerez bottlings from Cadiz, Andalusia ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

It would surely be far cheaper and you are in France, a Euro currency country ..

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 17, 2018 5:28 pm

I think I said most of what I have to say on the Torijas thread, perhaps an admin can combine /uncombine?

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3687#p58293

I tend to favour Manzanilla, the house sherry is Hidalgo La Gitana Manzanilla but I also like Hidalgo Napoleon

Currently I have Barbadillo Fino, which is very good value, Waitrose own brands are also good value, the Dry Amontillado makes a nice change.

I like most dry sherries, and the very sweet ones (Matusalem, PX) are fine with or in desserts, though not keen on dessert wines (or jams or sweet baked goods) with foie gras

But for some reason I dislike Gonzalez Byass Tio Pepe fino, which is a shame as it tends to be what is offered in UK restaurants. To me oddly acrid.

Postby mark111757 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 am

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 18, 2018 1:48 am

I've been meaning to try this prune and PX recipe Dena posted a long time ago, trouble is most of my possible guinea pigs hate prunes :(

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2141&p=25127&hilit=Prune+sherry#p25127

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 18, 2018 9:04 am

That does sound good but I would be nervous about using the PX in a pud. I'd probably have to buy another bottle specially for the purpose. :D

Postby Gillthepainter » Fri May 18, 2018 9:36 am

Badgers, sound's like a good plan.
Could you make it with grapes, Sue?

I'm an Osborne fan.
We went on a tour there last summer, taking a boat trip over to the Bodega in Santa Maria.
My goodness the Spanish like it sweet. At the end of the tasting, they were simply mixing their glasses with the dregs of the previous sweet sherry. Hic?

We came away with dry sherry and Osborne olive oil. I already had the brandy at home that I cook with.

Almejas with sherry sauce is everywhere in Cadiz, and jolly good it is too - I usually only have them plain steamed.

I have a fantastic spanish recipe for lamb cutlets and sherry.
I must dig it out.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 18, 2018 10:46 am

I could make the grape version Gill but it was the combination of prunes and PX that appealed to me, I love prunes

Badgers an opened pack of Agen prunes and an opened bottle of PX would be very risky here :o

You used to be able to buy in London Montilla as well as sherry, another Spanish fortified wine, lighter in both flavour and alcohol than sherry, and 30 years ago much cheaper!

Postby Badger's Mate » Fri May 18, 2018 6:08 pm

There's a Fergus Henderson 'recipe' for Agen prunes soaked in Earl Grey. Always meant to do it, never have. Loved prunes and custard as a boy. Have them stewed with quince in the autumn, if I can get hold of quinces. That wouldn't be a problem in N16 methinks.

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 18, 2018 6:35 pm

Plenty of quinces here in little Istanbul! :D

I might just try a prune compote with some PX in it. Sometime. I do have an unopened bottle of Triana PX

Postby Alexandria » Fri May 18, 2018 9:53 pm

For those of you who are fans of the Fino Sherries, Manzanillas, Amontillados, Olorosos, Palo Cortados, Olorosos and / or Pedro Ximenez: :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Emilio Lustau is one of the best: www.lustau.es

Note: Both English and Spanish Language Wine Estate Tours including a sampling of their 12 various types of Sherry (generic word ) is truly extraordinary .. :wave :wave

Exporting: Shipped worldwide to one´s door .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Postby Stokey Sue » Fri May 18, 2018 10:05 pm

Lustau wines are sold in both Sainsbury and Waitrose

Waitrose actually have a very good choice online, including half bottles, less so in shops in my experience
https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/shop/browse/groceries/beer_wine_and_spirits/wine/port_sherry_and_madeira/sherry

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox