Register

Sunday Brunch: What are your faves ?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Sunday Brunch: What are your faves ?

Postby Alexandria » Sun May 13, 2018 10:23 am

Sunday Brunch is an exceptionally extraordinarily lovely experience .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Faves: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gravlax or smoked salmon with capers, a drizzle of Evoo ..

Crepes Suzette ..

Eggs Benedict with green asparagus & Hollandaise - traditional except without the Canadian Bacon, which it is called in Manhattan ..

Have a lovely day ahead .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Re: Sunday Brunch: What are your faves ?

Postby Joanbunting » Sun May 13, 2018 3:51 pm

I am not good with food until noon but I did enjoy brunch in the US and the Bahamas.

If doing such a meal, fro example house guests who are off on a journey or on Christmas Day when we don't eat our main meal until evening. I would go for:
A selection from

Truffled scrambled eggs
Kedgeree
Oafs benedict (as they are called chez Bunting)
Kidneys Turbigo
Kippers
Smoked Finan haddock with a poached egg on top.

To this I would add and lots of seasonal fresh fruit or a compote of dried fruit , croissants HM blueberry muffins, American style pancakes etc.

AND of course Bucks Fizz or Bloody Maries

Postby Alexandria » Sun May 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Joan, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Definitely forgot to mention the Croissants with Normandie Butter & Rasberry Preserves but when in France .. :lol: :lol:

Yes, truffled eggs are a delight !

Thank you for all your feedback ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Mon May 14, 2018 7:27 am

I very rarely have a brunch on a weekend, but will have one on Saturday as it is the Royal Wedding. I have a bit of a soft spot for Prince Harry. Therefore I will probably have either a Crocque Madame, or a savoury French Toast with a cheese, ham and mustard filling

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 14, 2018 9:54 am

Strictly,

Wow .. Sounds wonderful .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

I like French Toast too .. :lol: :lol:

In Spain, we have a special French Toast called Torrijas ( Tor ree has ) .. The bread is dipped into lightly beaten eggs with a young red wine and cinammon and sugar instead of milk ..

They are an Easter dessert here ..

Have a lovely day and thanks for the feedback .. :wave :wave

Postby karadekoolaid » Mon May 14, 2018 2:08 pm

1) Toasted baguette, covered with cream cheese. To the cream cheese, add some fresh dill, ground black pepper and chopped chives. Place two poached eggs on top, then drape with abundant Scotch smoked salmon. Decorate with capers.
2) Mojo Andino: make a tomato sauce using finely diced onion, sweet chile ( or long red peppers), coriander leaf and garlic. Add the tomatoes and cook gently until the tomatoes fall apart. Blend until the sauce is smooth. add 1/2 tsp cumin powder and extra coriander leaf, season to taste. Allow to cool a little. Beat two eggs per person and incorporate into the tomato sauce, heating gently and stirring frequently. Serve with arepas.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 14, 2018 2:15 pm

I tend to stick with British favourites - eggs any style, bacon, Cumberland or other pork sausages or smoked salmon and bagels
Round here the fashion is smashed avocado on sourdough toast, topped with a poached egg but the idea of runny egg yolk and avocado together really doesn't appeal

Postby jeral » Mon May 14, 2018 3:01 pm

Every day is a brunch day here as I don't like eating on an empty stomach ;) So when hunger eventually strikes with a vengeance between 11am-2pm food has to be quick, hence ordinary things like:

- egg banjo or egg-in-the-hole fried bread, or with Bird's Eye spud waffle.

- cod fish finger sandwich with tartare sauce,

- apple/celery/nut salad or humous with olives and a mild tomato salsa or tzatziki, with new spuds (all pre-made) or toast (or all of these if there's leisurely time to chomp through them all...).

- deep-fried veg spring rolls with spicy dip(s),

- If a late brunch, some sort of quite spicy naturally thick pulses soup, made the day before, plus simple crackers.

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Sue,

We had smashed avo on linseed toast with crisp grilled bacon today. I called it lunch though! I don't fancy a poached egg either.

I like my poached eggs on things like smoked haddock or eggs benedict.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon May 14, 2018 4:50 pm

All this talk of eggssssssssssss...............I'm quite partial to a huevos rancheros now & again......usually on a Sunday!

Postby jeral » Mon May 14, 2018 5:32 pm

My desire for strong flavours like spice or fishy fish tends to increase as the day goes on - probably why bland porridge or cassava or rice or bread are breakfast universal staples - until bedtime, then it's back to bland again. There must be a peak time inbuilt for larks and owls.
---

How do people buy black beans, i.e. dried or tinned? On the Beeb board it said once that there were two different sorts so being scaredy cat I've only bought them as proprietary brand sauce. Ta.

Postby Lusciouslush » Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm

I have them dried ( often seen as Turtle Beans on the shelves) & tinned - they are definitely one bean that doesn't suffer much for being tinned- especially when they're crushed with spices etc. for refried beans.

The other blk bean you're thinking of is the chinese blk bean - A totally different animal - they come loose in cardboard containers & are quite piquant & salty for stir fries / blk bean sauce etc. - they keep for ever in the container too.

I have been known to eat curry for breakfast Jeral - spice all the way for me....... :D

Postby jeral » Mon May 14, 2018 7:25 pm

Thanks Lusciouslush - I'll know what black beans I'm looking for now and, a few years on, there's more chance it'll say what sort they are (on the shelves). Good ho.

PS: You is a lark then?

Postby Renée » Mon May 14, 2018 9:07 pm

I've had the Chinese black beans in the cardboard container. I'm sure I was told that they were fermented.

I only have my smoothies every day including Sundays, but scrambled eggs on toast with smoked salmon on top would be rather nice.

Alexandria, I like the idea of the Spanish Torrijas. I would really enjoy that.

Postby Stokey Sue » Mon May 14, 2018 9:29 pm

Renée wrote:I've had the Chinese black beans in the cardboard container. I'm sure I was told that they were fermented.

I only have my smoothies every day including Sundays, but scrambled eggs on toast with smoked salmon on top would be rather nice.

Alexandria, I like the idea of the Spanish Torrijas. I would really enjoy that.

Chinese black beans are fermented soy beans hence the strongly savoury taste, they are the black beans in bought black bean sauce, such as Lee Kum Kee

Other black beans, often called turtle beans, are a kind of kidney bean just dried, in fact in the UK often just labelled black beans or black kidney beans

Postby Renée » Mon May 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Thank you for the information, Sue.

Postby Pampy » Tue May 15, 2018 12:28 am

I buy the Chinese black beans in vacuum packs from Wing Yip.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue May 15, 2018 10:38 am

jeral wrote:PS: You is a lark then?

No Jeral - I'm a definite owl who is developing larkish tendencies - usually when I can't go back to sleep around 4am! :thumbsdown

I'm planning on making a blk bean sauce now after all this talk - craving some umami like mad!

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 15, 2018 11:11 am

Thank you for all your feedback .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Just returned from Madrid on Monday early morning and am extremely busy this week .. :lol: :lol:

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 15, 2018 11:13 am

Renée, :thumbsup :thumbsup

Yes, torrijas are absolutely amazingly delicious ..

I shall post the recipe at the weekend .. and its historical significance .. :lol: :lol:

Thank you and have a lovely lovely day .. :wave :wave

Next

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox