Register

What's everyone eating this week?

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM

Re: What's everyone eating this week?

Postby Alexandria » Tue May 08, 2018 10:10 am

Renée, :lol: :lol:

Actually, it was quite a downpour ! And the lovely bartender had an extra umbrella, so that we could manage to go from the bar to the taxi ! :lol: :lol:

Since the bar is close to the hotel, we returned the umbrella this morning and had a café at the Bar !! :thumbsup :thumbsup

Today is overcast sunny, and quite pleasant ! At the moment !

We are off to the Salon Gourmets Trade Fair now ..

Catch up this evening !! :wave :wave :wave

Have a lovely day .. :crossed :crossed
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Joanbunting » Tue May 08, 2018 11:37 am

We've had a thunderstorm nearly every afternoon for the last week. We nearly didn't have supper last night because I had taken a moussaka out of the freezer but the electricity was off, so no means of heating it.

We're due a repeat performance this afternoon so I'm going to make the planned quiche Lorraine very soon. A shame because I do like to eat it straight from the oven.
I'm planning on serving it with a hot beetrrot and horseradish sald and some asparagus.

It's 24C today but I am feeling cold and have put my socks back on.

Postby Lusciouslush » Tue May 08, 2018 6:32 pm

Renée wrote: Is it served at room temperature, or warm?

Room temp. Renee - letting it sit develops the flavours, then you can add your herbs without them wilting, tho' I do put the chopped coriander stalks in whilst cooking - although if you wanted to use the mixture to go with noodles ( which is good :thumbsup ) you can reheat quickly.

The one I made yesterday was really punchy - The Lushly finished off what was left for lunch today in a pita with rocket & spinach!

Postby Stokey Sue » Tue May 08, 2018 7:15 pm

We were given a 50% chance of a thunderstorm in the last hour, but although I could feel it looming it never happened.
So I don't know if it will rain or not today / tonight
I've bought some terracotta pots and hopefully laid them out so the rain can wash them.

Postby Alexandria » Wed May 09, 2018 3:59 pm

Joan,

Oh my ..

Today is a lovely day and am at the 32nd Salon Gourmets Food & Wine Convention in Madrid ..

Wow .. What an amazing turn out of food importers ..

:wave :wave :wave :wave :wave

Hope it does not thunder shower just when we need to go to Underground to return to Hotel .. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Barcelona, soulful & spirited, filled with fine art, amazing architecture, profoundly steeped in culture & history, and it engages all your senses, and food fancies.

Postby Alexandria » Wed May 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Lunch today at the Ifema Madrid Juan Carlos Convention Centre were an amazing array of "amuse boûches " .. (appetisers )

Sundried tomato canapés .. From Puglia ..

Artichoke mousse .. From Puglia ..

Italian Olives .. From Pugia ..

Anchovies .. Cantabria ..

Flat breads: Liguria ..

Mozzarella di Buffala ..

Assorted Hams, Cheeses and of course, some lovely wines from a variety of wine producing Mediterranean countries ( Italy, Spain and Southern France ) ..

Lovely lovely ... :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Have a wonderful day .. :wave :wave

Postby Alexandria » Sat May 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Saturday .. A lovely Italian dinner is planned at a highly recommended restaurant, in the Nuevos Ministerios area of the Madrid Capital via a client of our´s, whom we had a meeting with at the Madrid Ifema Convention Centre.

The specialty of the house are the made from scratch, pastas from Umbria ..

Friday: We had a lovely Japanese lunch at the Wellington Hotel, Restaurant Kabuki with dear Chef Ric Sanz .. This is simply outstandingly extraordinary Japanese ..

Have a lovely weekend .. :wave :wave

Postby Renée » Sat May 12, 2018 7:12 pm

You're having the most wonderful food, Alexandria. I particularly love Japanese food and was taught to make sushi rolls many years ago by my cousin's Japanese wife.

Thanks, Lush, I had a feeling that it might be served at room temperature.

Postby Alexandria » Sun May 13, 2018 10:15 am

Thank you Renée. :thumbsup :thumbsup

The Convention was absolutely exceptional ..

Last night we dined at:

www.pastaio.com ( Madrid Capital - Nuevos Ministerios ) ..

The owner of Ristorante Pastaio, is a Truffle Forarger in Umbria, and he opened up several Italian Boutique Markets in Madrid in addition to the Restaurant ..

Exceptionally splendid ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave :wave

Shall be leaving for Barcelona, Monday 7am ..

Today: :lol: :lol:

Brunch at 12pm mid day .. :thumbsup :thumbsup

Postby Gillthepainter » Sun May 13, 2018 11:59 am

Sandwich tonight.
I've only got an avocado in, so it will probably be sliced tomato with avocado.

Postby Alexandria » Mon May 14, 2018 10:01 am

Just returned home to Barcelona, after our trip to Madrid .. :lol: :lol:

So, today, it is one of our local bars for a quick lunch at 14.00 .. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Off to the Le Mercat de La Boqueria for some fresh salad greens and veggies and uncertain exactly what is on the carte for the moment ..

Have a lovely day .. :wave :wave

Postby Joanbunting » Mon May 14, 2018 2:17 pm

We're in for a bit of a food fest this week as we have house guests.
Sunday the two of us went to a local restaurant the enjoy the calm before the storm.

Starter: Quail breasts roasted then marinated with caraway and served with baby artichokes cooked three ways - puree, barigoule and crisp. It was divine

Main was saddle of rabbit rolled with tapenade under the skin, Grilled fennel with olive oil, a large potao crisp with almonds, a steamed garlic and anchovy fourgasse and a very short jus

Dessert was a soft sponge biscuit topped with elderflower cream and local marinated strawberries with an almond milk ise-cream.

Today we had avocado and bacon toasts for lunch and tonight I have planned a Provencal (nearly) starter of dipd and spread. Tepenade anchoiade and pos chichade and, going north to Lyon, Cervelle de canut (silk weavers brains!) all HM. With them I have made savoury cake fingers and some mini toasts.

Main is Fillet beef and asparagus stir-fry with black bean sauce. with rice.

Cheese then a HM choux ring to be filled with strawberries and Chantilly cream

Postby jeral » Mon May 14, 2018 4:35 pm

Joanbunting, I'm always amazed at how fantastically organised you must be :clap
Your guests are in for a treat and won't want to leave with all that luverly grub :)

Vegan savoury pie today, s/crust bottom, flaky top. and a few vegan saus rolls while the oven's on. The fillings will be two concoctions that must of course taste good, fingers crossed since you can't take things out once in.

Hopefully an apple and sultana pie too, or tarte tatin if insufficient bought pastry ;)

Does anyone know if you can thin nut butter with non-dairy milk to resemble a vegan custard using added cornflour if necessary? Ta.

Postby smitch » Mon May 14, 2018 5:35 pm

What do you want the custard for? Bird's custard powder (the sort in the tub) is vegan if you make it with non-dairy milk or Alpro cartons are nice.

Your nut butter idea might work with the smooth variety, I've made frosting with it, but I'm not sure how 'custardy' it would be.

Postby jeral » Mon May 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Ooh many thanks smitch :)
I can use my beloved Bird's powder then as it's just for typical use. How remiss of me not to check the obvious thing already in front of me. Doh! :lol:

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 am

Yesterday's treat, Chicken Pakora to Dipna Anand's recipe (I have her book).

Not 100%, they tasted curiously underseasoned considering how much spice there is, although I did hold back a bit on the salt. Very succulent chicken, not in the slightest bit dry, and a good density of coating, although it could have been crisper.

I confess that half the batter went to amaking a batch of onion bhajia, which were great.

And these six chicken balls for breakfast this morning, with beautiful morning sun to brighten up the pic.

Postby Renée » Thu May 17, 2018 9:21 am

Those do look good, Sakkarin and I could easily eat them for breakfast!

Colin is here now for two weeks and we had Cannelloni last night, having made the filling recently and then putting in the freezer. I used lasagne sheets, rather than the tubes. There is enough leftover for today.

Postby jeral » Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Renée, I've been fancying lasagne for ages as it always has that satisfying effect :)
I have some veg filling ideas, but am stuck on the white sauce. I can make a vegan one easily enough with soya milk and cornflour but if it has no flavour it seems a pointless addition, even with herbs and/or nutmeg (since no dairy = no cheese). Do you (or others) even add a white sauce or just stick with a tom or ragu sauce? Ta.

I'm having simple plaice tonight with cherry toms. My vegans will be sorting themselves out, which is good as they're far better at it than I am anyway :D

Postby Renée » Thu May 17, 2018 10:16 pm

Jeral, this white sauce has the addition of half an onion with cloves stuck in it and left to infuse for the short time in milk. This would give a good flavour to the béchamel and I will do this next time.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2982678/white-sauce

Yes, excellent idea to let the vegans sort themselves out! :thumbsup

Postby Alexandria » Thu May 17, 2018 10:50 pm

Thursday Lunch: :thumbsup :thumbsup

Simply traditional bar food, fresh fried Calamari with a drizzle of lemon & Ali oli for dipping ..

And a couple of chilled chilled Fino Sherries, from Jerez de La Frontera !!

Have a lovely evening .. :lol: :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox