Register

BBC Food Board

Chill out and chat with the foodie community or swap top tips.
NOTE: THE CURRENT CHATTERBOX IS IN THIS FORUM
Site Admin

BBC Food Board

Postby Sakkarin » Wed May 09, 2018 12:20 am

I had to temporarily suspend my Sakkarin Search Engine a couple of months back because of a hostile attack on my website. I had intemding to reconstruct it eventually, but it seems that the BBC have finally completely closed the old food boards, as the links no longer work in the original format.

Our "Q&A" forum had links to the final 200 threads started on the Beeb board, and you can see here that they all just default to the Beeb homepage now.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=62

I wonder if the Search engine disappearing had anything to do with the archive closing?

Does anyone remember how the Google search of the BBC board worked, I wonder if that has any way of still accessing posts, if it IS still out there somewhere.

Re: BBC Food Board

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 09, 2018 1:07 am

Not sure if this is whatvyou meant but a site search entered in Google as
site:www.bbc.co.uk food message board

Took me to the BBC blog, and their links to the message board also default to the current BBC home page

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/ ... eboar.html

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 09, 2018 9:11 am

I'll have a look at my old pc in the studio later today.
I've still got the google link on my favourites.

At least I have a back up saved.

Postby Gillthepainter » Wed May 09, 2018 3:52 pm

Doesn't work any more.

https://www.google.co.uk/advanced_searc ... n&safe=off

I think your suspicions are correct.

Postby jeral » Wed May 09, 2018 4:38 pm

I recalled it being a Google cache, but the Beeb might have asked for it to be removed for EU data privacy ruling reason, e.g.: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/internet/ent ... d914974940

I can't see Food or Q&A listed in the removed lists, but a lot of people did use their own names so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it fell within a blanket removal.

Site Admin

Postby Sakkarin » Wed May 09, 2018 5:20 pm

It wasn't a Google cache, it was an archived area of the BBC's actual site.

Gill's link has the reference that was used, it was to trawl the actual BBC archive site from scratch, not to reference stored Google info.

The problems I've had with this board mean that ultimately I will need to send an email to all the members warning them about the changes. Under that new legislation I believe that will be illegal unless I've got specific permission from all the members that they allow me to contact them, even though by registering I would assume that is implied. I removed the "email-all" option from this board long ago because it can be abused.

Postby Stokey Sue » Wed May 09, 2018 10:56 pm

Get the email out before about 21 May warning that this will be the last all persons mail, and informing them that their email address will continue to be used as necessary in relation to board activity? Legislation comes in during final week of May and warning seems enough for relatively minor uses (non-intrusive)

Postby smitch » Thu May 10, 2018 7:29 am

My understanding of the regulations is that people have to explicitly opt in to receive communications and that it has to be set out exactly what will be sent.

Postby strictlysalsaclare » Thu May 10, 2018 8:42 am

My understanding is about the same as smitch's re opting in to information. However, I will be attending a training session on the new regs at work next Monday morning. If there is any general information that will be useful to you Sakkarin I'll let you know. I'm sure most of it will be specific to the care industry that I work in though.

Postby Stokey Sue » Thu May 10, 2018 1:12 pm

I though that as well at first, but looking at the agreements I have been it seems it's very slightly more complicated

So you definitely need the opt in permission to keep sending mass mailings or other unsolicited communications

But if you make contact with an organisation, for example asking when something will be in stock, or using their services such as a forum, they can of course contact you as needed to make those transactions work. What they cannot do now (and it was always a bit dodgy) is to add those contact details to the mass mailing list or send you unrealted communications.

Postby Pampy » Thu May 10, 2018 4:11 pm

I thought that you had to explicitly agree to continue to receive communications from a company but recently, I've had a few e-mails from companies saying that they will continue to contact me and inviting me to "update my preferences" if I don't want to continue receiving communications from them - ie opt out rather than opt in.

Return to Food Chat & Chatterbox